First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Then why post here? I really don't get it. So many people posting on this thread w/out actually helping the OP. Posting just to say you don't like reflective tape?

Learning curve, new to MTC. I used to post like that too. Then I realized, why am I posting an "opposite opinion" comment to this thread when it's not helpful?
OP asked about reflective tape ideas. A valid option is to not do it.

I personally won't do it because I believe if they don't see the blinding brake lights, a little reflective tape isn't going to help. But, to each their own. If OP wants to get it, I suggest magnetic ones to prevent paint damage.

MavJet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly! Still don’t like it. Maybe if you’re working for the utility companies? Then perhaps flashing lights on top too?

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP asked about reflective tape ideas. A valid option is to not do it.

I personally won't do it because I believe if they don't see the blinding brake lights, a little reflective tape isn't going to help. But, to each their own. If OP wants to get it, I suggest magnetic ones to prevent paint damage.
I just checked the laws. None say you have to be braking to want to be seen in advance. I actually use them because I'm not braking.

3800 posts. You post just to post.

MavJet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
SORRY TOM. Just give honest feedback. I might be new to this forum, but have more than 40 years maintenance experience! I’m on several forums helping people. :)

Sponsored

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Isn't the tailgate made of aluminum so magnets won't stick?

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
SORRY TOM. Just give honest feedback. I might be new to this forum, but have more than 40 years maintenance experience! I’m on several forums helping people. :)
Don't be sorry......

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't the tailgate made of aluminum so magnets won't stick?
Yes, the magnets stick just fine to the tailgate. The reflectors are not everyone's use case. I'm driving a white truck in a blizzard down a switchback mountain at night and not braking. The reflectors stayed clear of snow more than the brake lamps.

Sometimes folks have to see it's not their use case, no reply needed. Just move on the the next thread. The funny replies are good though.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Then why post here? I really don't get it. So many people posting on this thread w/out actually helping the OP. Posting just to say you don't like reflective tape?

Learning curve, new to MTC. I used to post like that too. Then I realized, why am I posting an "opposite opinion" comment to this thread when it's not helpful?
Sometimes even opposing comments can be helpful to someone who is on the fence about a mod. As long as it doesn't get personal, I don't see a problem.

Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use the reflective letters only (black reflective tailgate letters) along with LEDs, seems to work fine.

I have done the experiment with reflective tape on a Tyger Hitch Step I installed on my truck. Just a small strip of 3M yellow reflective tape to help people be aware when parking.

Made no difference whatsoever, my Maverick was hit twice last year when parked in broad daylight. Both times someone hit the step and it’s clearly visible from 20+ feet away with the tape on it. Plenty of space near and around me to park too, bad drivers are going to be bad drivers I guess.

Removed the tape and no problems since. I’ve done this same trial and tribulation with a Wrangler, similar results. The less crap I had on the rear for visibility, the better people drove or parked near it. Maybe luck, maybe a philosophy lesson, who knows.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Black reflective letters would be the simple and most effective answer to your question.

Ford Maverick Reflective tape on tailgate for visibility ideas PXL_20230126_150601223

Ford Maverick Reflective tape on tailgate for visibility ideas PXL_20231206_021554853

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple ford cars and a truck
Engine
Undecided
I’d do those only in the gap below the tailgate above the bumper. But I’d also do the smaller slash style. I’ve seen it before it’s like 2 inch wide blocks red and white ///\\\ and it’s only like an inch wide roll.
Sponsored