Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This one that I ordered for $27.99 has a review that states he was rear-ended and his review says this:

Juegoal Rear Bumper Protector, Vehicles Bumper Guard Hitch Step with Pin Lock and Stabilizer for Car and SUV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GQTXL4N

Here is a review that mentions "rear ended":

5.0 out of 5 stars This works if you are rear ended!

Reviewed in the United States on October 19, 2022
Verified Purchase

I was rear ended in June 2022 and the damage amounted to $1,400.00. They missed the step and hit the corner. In sept. 2022, I was rear ended, again. (like that old song,,,If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all) This time I was hit directly on the step. It shattered into pieces, but no other damage. The other car had a large dent, no injuries. By shattering, all the energy was dissipated. I have to say this product worked as intended. I'm buying one for my daughter and grandkids, and pray they never need it.
Just don't step on it! I seen numerous 1 star reviews for people who broke them. Most were somewhat injured.
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I believe if the Mavericks receiver was more recessed into the rear body, there would be much better energy spread in to the existing bumper and surrounding sheet metal before damaging the rails reducing major consequences of rear impacts. Such a mod would simply require a longer hitch shank. Just thinking, as I still don't have my Maverick to really go on.
I don't know where they would find the space to move the receiver back. I guess Ford could skip having space for a spare tire and give us a patch kit.

BlueSpec1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT 2.5L, 22 Escape Plug In, 23 Bolt EUV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And I thought my previous truck, Ram 3500 being rear ended last year by a F250+trailer was a lot at $6323 repair for Bumper & Receiver Hitch, Tailgate replacement. Repair quarter panels.
Ford Maverick Rear ended in my 2023 Lariat Tremor... Sub 1500 miles Ram 3500 Rear Ended 2022-06-06 $62xx Repair

Last edited:

Equator Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Suzuki Equator
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interestingly a number of years ago the Jeep Liberty had an issue with the fuel tank being punctured in an accident, causing a fire hazard. The solution (a recall) was to add a hitch to the vehicle, which protected the fuel tank. I've been waiting nearly a year for my XL, likely in part due to the fact that one of the few options I ordered was a hitch, more for bed extender/bike rack than to tow anything. Hope the day doesn't come when I regret this decision. I wonder if other unibody trucks like Sata Fe and Ridgeline (or unibody SUVs for that matter) have issues like this. Best of luck getting your vehicle replaced quicky OP!

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just don't step on it! I seen numerous 1 star reviews for people who broke them. Most were somewhat injured.
That is the trouble when you ONLY look at 1 star reviews.

I look at those and the 5 star reviews and the overall results which are 4.4 out of 5 stars.

Your "numerous 1 star reviews" were only 4% of all reviews. Total of 27.
Only 6 mentioned breaking and some mentioned flexing or the missing stability pin.

There were 100 "5 star" reviews (69%) and of those 5 mentioned that it worked great for those who weighed 250, 238, 2 under 200 and one at 175 pounds. Not one mentioned breaking.

It does look like a number of orders were not shipped with the "(Bonus Pin Lock and Stabilizer which are value $8)" which would have prevented the flexing.

I also bought this locking pin for $7.98:

RETRUE Trailer Hitch Receiver Pin Lock - Black, 2 Inch Receiver, 5/8" Dia Pin Lock for Securely Locking Trailer Hitch with Two Keys

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYD57KY5

Which will fit snug and prevent any flexing.

I also only weigh 185 and plan to step only in the middle.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That is the trouble when you ONLY look at 1 star reviews.

I look at those and the 5 star reviews and the overall results which are 4.4 out of 5 stars.

Your "numerous 1 star reviews" were only 4% of all reviews. Total of 27.
Only 6 mentioned breaking and some mentioned flexing or the missing stability pin.

There were 100 "5 star" reviews (69%) and of those 5 mentioned that it worked great for those who weighed 250, 238, 2 under 200 and one at 175 pounds. Not one mentioned breaking.

It does look like a number of orders were not shipped with the "(Bonus Pin Lock and Stabilizer which are value $8)" which would have prevented the flexing.

I also bought this locking pin for $7.98:

RETRUE Trailer Hitch Receiver Pin Lock - Black, 2 Inch Receiver, 5/8" Dia Pin Lock for Securely Locking Trailer Hitch with Two Keys

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYD57KY5

Which will fit snug and prevent any flexing.

I also only weigh 185 and plan to step only in the middle.
6 of those Chinese ones breaking, yet not one of the Weather Tech. And those who broke them wrre only about 200# guys. Yep, WT for my money. That Chinese step wouldn't hold me once.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In other vehicles, yes. Ford did not design the Maverick this way. I worked in my Father's Bumper Company from 1982 to 1990, back when bumpers had a 5 mph no damage policy that was met using hydraulic absorbers. I know the concept very well.

The maverick has zero energy absorption material. It is a plastic cover covering the trailer hitch which is bolted to the sheet metal unibody. Nothing here absorbs the energy except the unibody. It is designed to fail. The hitch gets bumped over a certain MPH, the unibody bends and it is over. Look at the picture of the jeep that hit the Maverick. Not much damage shown. This was NOT a high speed impact.
Ah thanks for the education on the mav bumper

Jakob22

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
installed mine today with a cheap locking pin that's pretty much as close as it gets lol
Ford Maverick Rear ended in my 2023 Lariat Tremor... Sub 1500 miles IMG_0363.PNG

OP
OP

BenTheFox150

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Miata, 03 Wrangler, Maverick Lar Tremor ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well after a month of insurance fun, she is totalled out and I am walking away with a decent chunk of profit over my original purchase. Sad to see her go, but was fun while I had her. Hopefully someone buys her salvaged and drives her for years to come. Thinking I am going to buy a beater and wait for the 2024 Tacomas to come out then make a decision on a "New" vehicle again.

Ford Maverick Rear ended in my 2023 Lariat Tremor... Sub 1500 miles 20230829_172906
Sponsored