Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Bronco 2dr is 3.5k.
the Mav as a “truck” should be nearer that in base form.

Yes the integrated controller is nice on the 4K but aftermarket are super easy and relatively cheap to add. I do like the coolers and gearing on the 4K and it will be perfect for my tow needs.

still surprised how low it is at base trim though considering the “truck”label
The bronco is also body on frame and comes with the the 2.3 ecoboost along with a curb weight of almost 5k. So it makes sense why it can do what It can.
Sponsored

EugDom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Quit wishing what it was and appreciate what it is....it isn't rated for over 2k unless you opt for it. It's as simple as that. You don't like it?, Or your needs require more, get something that meets your standards.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ahh.....the 'ol trailer towing topic.

Look, the Maverick is a smallish vehicle. I wouldn't want to tow more than 4K with it. I think anyone needing more towing capability needs to look at something else.

Next point: Many of these other vehicles (Santa Cruz...I'm looking at you) advertise 5K+ towing capability, but I challenge one to tow like that frequently with some of these vehicles and tell me it's a good time with no concerns about longevity. I would tow 4K with my Maverick every day and never think twice. It was MADE to do this and it's tow rating is conservative, I suspect. Ford built it to be a truck.

Many of the others I feel are rated right on the edge of sanity to generate interest/sales. MHO. YMMV.

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
would like to know the exact criteria they use to determine the tow rate. Seems it's pulled out of a hat. Based on what is added on the 4k, the non-tow seems low. Engine and tranny and weight are the same on non-hybrid model non AWD versions

A RAV4 tows 3.5k but it's based on engine choice. Engine choice gets you the same rating on non-tow Mav's. I predict a larger engine in MY23 and 1k added to both Tow and Non Tow.

Sponsored

Sloozie

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I've got regular 2k tow for my mavrick. And all I tow is my 600+ lbs Harley Davidson chopper with it and that's all I need with avg 28-32 mpg Ecoboost engine,I'm satisfied...

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wondered about this. Many small crossovers beat it. Even a 2dr Wrangler believe is 2.5K. RAV4 etc.

4K is decent. But base should have been near 3 at least.
how many FWD only, Uni-body vehicles tow more than the Maverick base truck for ~$20k?

My Jeep grand Cherokee with factory tow hitch can tow 5K. It's also heavier than the Mav and has full time 4WD and a 270HP V-6.

IMHO Your criticism of the base Mav in unfounded as they allow you to double it with available options for a fair price. Lots of people keep talking about "should haves" instead of accepting the vehicle for what it is and what you can do with it in different configurations economically.

Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none ;)

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Logic would dictate that an AWD EB (non-4K) Maverick would be able to tow more than a FWD hybrid. However, Ford says otherwise and rates them the same. I don't know how or why Ford makes that determination, but it is what is is. Buy a 4K EB for max towing in a Maverick, or as others have already said, buy something else if your towing needs are greater than 4,000 lbs.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just want to share this interesting tidbit… can you please read this and tell me if this is the correct conclusion:

https://www.southpointhyundai.com/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-towing/

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Towing Capacity Per Model
  • 1,650 pounds Santa Cruz 2.5L FWD, without Trailer Brakes
  • 1,650 pounds Santa Cruz 2.5L AWD, without Trailer Brakes
  • 3,500 pounds Santa Cruz 2.5L FWD, with Trailer Brakes
  • 3,500 pounds Santa Cruz 2.5L AWD, with Trailer Brakes
  • 3,500 pounds Santa Cruz 2.5 Turbo FWD with Trailer Brakes
  • 5,000 pounds Santa Cruz 2.5 Turbo AWD with Trailer Brakes

NONE of the SC trims can tow above 1650lbs rating, until they get a tow hitch installed (no factory hitch) and an aftermarket brake controller (no integrated controller)? Even the top 2.5 Turbo AWD trim rated for 5k lbs max… actual has a 1650lbs tow rating as built from factory?

Anyway if that’s all correct, I wonder what the calculus is for the SC to be able to tow 3.5k with the base trim 2.5L FWD with a brake controller, but the Mav didn’t get a similar brake controller rating, even the AWD? Just curious how the different vehicles get their ratings. It surely must partly be marketing... and the truly safe towing capacities are actually more variable, depending on trims?

Last edited:

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Bronco 2dr is 3.5k.

Yes the integrated controller is nice on the 4K but aftermarket are super easy and relatively cheap to add. I do like the coolers and gearing on the 4K and it will be perfect for my tow needs.

Bronco 2dr and 4dr are max 3.5k and they are based on a Ranger that with towing package can do 7.5k its. The Maverick shares brakes and transmission with Escape and Bronco sport at least in the 2.0l variant. These may be the limiting factors to towing over 2k without the upfits of the 4k package.

Sponsored

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
would like to know the exact criteria they use to determine the tow rate. Seems it's pulled out of a hat. Based on what is added on the 4k, the non-tow seems low. Engine and tranny and weight are the same on non-hybrid model non AWD versions

A RAV4 tows 3.5k but it's based on engine choice. Engine choice gets you the same rating on non-tow Mav's. I predict a larger engine in MY23 and 1k added to both Tow and Non Tow.
4k tow has different gearing, also rear end on AwD models is different. Biggest factor is integrated trailer brake controller.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Seeing as the 4K is only available on AWD and it has a different rear suspension, I would think it is limited by that.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Bronco 2dr is 3.5k.

The maverick was designed to help Ford with Cafe standards when they got rid of basically every car in their lineup. Building it beefier to handle more towing in the entry level would lower its mpg and raise the price.

As for the Kia soul, it may do that and might do it a few times but i wouldn't trust it for much.

Can and will are two different things.
Sponsored