First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From looking at the orders it appears most people getting the 4k Tow add AWD. I need the 4k because I occasionally haul a loaded trailer which will be just below the 4k limit. Is there any advantage to adding AWD since I don't own a boat, don't live in the mountains, don't get any ice or snow, no off roading?
I am finding it hard to justify the extra 3k for AWD so am curious why so many are getting both so will assume one or more of the above conditional apply.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From looking at the orders it appears most people getting the 4k add AWD. I need the 4k because I occasionally haul a loaded trailer which will be just below the 4k limit. Is there any advantage to adding AWD since I don't own a boat, don't live in the mountains, don't get any ice or snow, no off roading?
I am finding it hard to justify the extra 3k for AWD so am curious why so many are getting both so will assume one or more of the above conditional apply.
Nope. It says 4K for the FWD so I would go with that if you donā€™t need the AWD features. I got AWD due to having a boat and some ramps being in bad condition but wouldnā€™t have if I didnā€™t need need it.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
read up on Torque Steer. AWD eliminates that. That's a good thing. I believe the rear suspension is upgraded when you get the AWD too.

Ralli

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I dont see an option to add 4K Tow with FWD. I believe its only available on the AWD 2.0

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We get a lot of snow in the winter and I don't like getting stuck on icy hills. Good tires and awd make it fun instead of a hassle.

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I dont see an option to add 4K Tow with FWD. I believe its only available on the AWD 2.0
I just tested the configurator, and it allowed me to build a FWD 2.0 with 4K towing. It didn't require me to add AWD: Build Your Maverick (ford.com)

As for the original question, I'd only buy AWD if I expected to need it. Otherwise, it just increase maintenance, reduces fuel efficiency, and increases weight.

Ralli

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Maybe its different on Ford.ca but If I select 2.0 it defaults to AWD with no alternative.

Ford Maverick 4k Tow plus AWD 1625338742946

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
I originally did not select the 4K tow option but figured it better to have it than regret it later. Plus, the trans cooler is a good idea for any driving conditions. I get snow only 1-2 times a year but live on a hill that is quite challenging if no AWD. I got the FX4 mostly for my ego rather than hard core off-roading. Iā€™m a clean freak and will avoid rocks and mud, but itā€™s nice to know I could if I wanted to. šŸ˜ƒ

OP
OP

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My biggest expense will be downsizing to a small car hauling trailer. If I get one weighing 1000lb or less empty then I will be well within the 4k tow envelope. To get to or below 1000lb trailer weight I need to go to an aluminum 14'-16' and they are not cheap, somewhere between $6-$10k (new) for the size I want. Prolly cheaper to keep my 20 Ranger and current trailer but I just can't resist buying a smaller truck. We can always justify what we buy so mine is: I only tow about 5%+/- of my annual mileage.

When I first asked about 4k & AWD I was thinking more about weight distribution and if there is an advantage of a little more weight on the rear axle having the AWD considering how I will use the Maverick. If not then as noted its just more money, weight and extra moving parts to me.
I have never towed with a FWD only vehicle so not sure if there is even a big difference towing with RWD pickups but assume Ford did their homework so I don't have to.
Sponsored

Last edited: