Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm more concerned you're remote starting at that warm of a morning. :LOL:

All jokes aside, remote start is for 0 to -30F.
Hell, I'm from Florida. Remote start if for 80F or more, to get the AC going, lol.
Sponsored

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When it is 110, it stands for Fuck it’s hot!
I was down in Palm Springs with my motorcycle, and the kick stand would sink into the pavement. Unreal. It was like riding in a blast furnace. Haha.

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was down in Palm Springs with my motorcycle, and the kick stand would sink into the pavement. Unreal. It was like riding in a blast furnace. Haha.
Similar riding experience in Southern Utah @ 1110- Gas started to boil in my KTM/Unfun

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Similar post over on the Reddit group:
I was going to say to check the cat. I’m not sure how this could happen though.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dumping unburnt fuel into the catalytic converters can do that, which is caused by the fuel mixture being too rich. They’ll also glow if an engine has been run way to hard for extended periods of time (like continuously doing burnouts) or a very lean condition which can be caused by a leaky head gasket or fuel delivery issue.

Either way, something is very wrong with the fuel mixture it seems. It seems like to me maybe the ECU programming for remote start has an issue with the temperature reading for the air or coolant temp sensors when remote start is being used, causing it to be overly rich for the fuel mixture on startup. Definitely a job for the dealer to investigate.

OP
OP

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Thats the thing, I had some googling kind of point me to possibly a cat issue, but how would this happen. It definately smelled SUPER rich, hence the unburned fuel issue.

But when I tested remote start at work in the parkinglot, worked fine, ran for 10 mins, then powered off.

Sponsored

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrids get jumped just like an ordinary vehicle. Been jumped numerous times in my C-Max. The 12 volt has let me down, but never the high voltage battery!
Also jumps the other way. The battery is under the back seat in the mav but there will be jump posts under the hood.

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
XL Model here with bunch of upgrades.

So this was the first morning I got to test out the remote start with FordPass.(I did try it once before when setting up Fordpass) I have owned the truck since the 23rd of DEC, so.. 5 days, no issues. About 300 miles on it.

I got up to get ready for work, hit the remote start on the Ford Pass, it said the vehicle was started, and I went about getting ready, letting dog out, bathroom etc.

Well all that done I went to go out and head to work, and first thing I noticed was the truck was making a god awful noise like it was constantly starting and stopping every second. And then this smell hit me...

It was an incredibly intense fuel smell. Almost like rotten eggs. Unburnt fuel maybe? It actually made me almost physically ill.

Well I had to get to work, so I got in the truck rolled down the windows, and put the key in an shut the truck OFF. Then I turned it on, it said ready to drive, and I drove to work. No issues, no weird noises, no more weird smell. It was a cold drive to work for sure, but had to air out the original smell.

I mean I actually still feel a bit ill from it.

I guess Im going to test it out tonight after work and just keep an eye on it and watch it remote start. I dont believe in "flukes" when it comes to car reliability, so I still will talk to the dealer.

For context I did technically test the remote start via fordpass when we initially set up Fordpass at the dealer, so THAT time, it appeared to work fine.
It was particularly cold this morning, maybe 40 degrees F.
How would you remote start a hybrid vehicle? It turns on an electrical system run by the battery, not the engine. After draining the battery some it would kick in the the ICE to recharge I suppose. I have been wondering about this since I ordered if was an actual feature on the hybrid.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thats the thing, I had some googling kind of point me to possibly a cat issue, but how would this happen. It definately smelled SUPER rich, hence the unburned fuel issue.

But when I tested remote start at work in the parkinglot, worked fine, ran for 10 mins, then powered off.
Its way easier to happen than you think. A coil pack connection could be loose, a terminal or wiring could be bad on a temperature sensor, the ECU could need an update for cold start programming, etc. Could have happened during production or shipping, sometimes even a critter chewing on the wiring for 5 minutes can do a ton of damage too if that’s an issue in your area.

It could also just be the ECU/pcm learn procedure as well. There is usually a “default” set of parameters set from the factory but the ECU/pcm has to learn the start/stop habits, average temperature readings, driving styles and more. There is usually X number of start/stop cycles and miles that have to occur before it’s fully adjusted.

It’s definitely worth having the dealer check it out even if they give you the run around and say “it’s just a learning procedure, sometimes it may act funny” as if it turns out it’s something later, you have at least documentation to prove it, especially for a catalytic converter warranty (there is a federal standard for this but I’m not sure what it is for hybrids).

OP
OP

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
How would you remote start a hybrid vehicle? It turns on an electrical system run by the battery, not the engine. After draining the battery some it would kick in the the ICE to recharge I suppose. I have been wondering about this since I ordered if was an actual feature on the hybrid.
Well, the engine just turns on when the battery gets too low. its the same when you start it, the engine is dead silent until you run out of juice then kicks on. I assume the heater etc is all electric so this probably happens a few times while its sitting. When I tested it today at work, the engine kicked on twice in the 10 minute time limit.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid