First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello everyone, I’ve had my truck for over a year now and have had almost no issues, until lately. Recently we’ve had some cold temperatures in the morning and I’ve been remote starting my truck to run for about twenty minutes before I drive. Well, I’ve noticed a black sooty puddle underneath my truck, not from the engine area but rather from in between the truck bed and cab. I’ve also been having a very recent issue where the truck roughly starts up at random times, almost feels like a bad misfire for a few seconds then gone. I appreciate any insight!
Sponsored

jeffrol48197

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Explorer, 2009 Focus, 2019 Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
see if this fits...

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
2.5L FHEV - Idle Surge/Rough Idle With High Temperature In The Catalytic Convertor And/Or Sulfur Odor In The Cab - Built On Or Before 9-Mar-2022
22-2124
30 March 2022​
Model:
Ford
2022 Maverick
Built on or before 9-Mar-2022

Issue: Some 2022 Maverick vehicles equipped with a 2.5L full hybrid electric vehicle (FHEV) powertrain built on or before 9-Mar-2022 may exhibit an idle surge and/or rough idle with high temperature in the catalytic converter and/or sulfur odor in the cab. This condition occurs when the high voltage battery is being charged by the engine at cold start and the state of charge (SOC) increases to the top of the charge limit. When the SOC is at the top of the charge limit the system cuts the engine injectors until the SOC is below the top limit to protect the battery. The continuous cycle of running the engine and cutting the injectors causes an increase of oxygen and a high temperature in the catalytic converter. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram various modules starting with the powertrain control module (PCM).

I wouldn't worry about the sooty water, that is the moisture draining out the weep holes on your exhaust....

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
see if this fits...

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
2.5L FHEV - Idle Surge/Rough Idle With High Temperature In The Catalytic Convertor And/Or Sulfur Odor In The Cab - Built On Or Before 9-Mar-2022
22-2124
30 March 2022​
Model:
Ford
2022 Maverick
Built on or before 9-Mar-2022

Issue: Some 2022 Maverick vehicles equipped with a 2.5L full hybrid electric vehicle (FHEV) powertrain built on or before 9-Mar-2022 may exhibit an idle surge and/or rough idle with high temperature in the catalytic converter and/or sulfur odor in the cab. This condition occurs when the high voltage battery is being charged by the engine at cold start and the state of charge (SOC) increases to the top of the charge limit. When the SOC is at the top of the charge limit the system cuts the engine injectors until the SOC is below the top limit to protect the battery. The continuous cycle of running the engine and cutting the injectors causes an increase of oxygen and a high temperature in the catalytic converter. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram various modules starting with the powertrain control module (PCM).

I wouldn't worry about the sooty water, that is the moisture draining out the weep holes on your exhaust....
That’s what I thought it was, but it doesn’t fit it other then the occasional rough start, and yesterday it was incredibly rough to where the whole truck shook. Also haven’t had the best gas mileage (it’s gone down 10ish MPG)

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's also a factory hole in the bottom of the muffler for moisture to drain out, that's probably the black sooty puddle you see. The bottom of the muffler probably black. When the MY22's first started getting delivered many thought it was an issue and the mufflers were rotting out. You can probably search the forum and find the old threads/post. Now the misfire and stuff ya need to have dealer resolve that. Good Luck

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's also a factory hole in the bottom of the muffler for moisture to drain out, that's probably the black sooty puddle you see. The bottom of the muffler probably black. When the MY22's first started getting delivered many thought it was an issue and the mufflers were rotting out. You can probably search the forum and find the old threads/post. Now the misfire and stuff ya need to have dealer resolve that. Good Luck
Yeah I’m taking it to them soon. They told me they couldn’t look at it until the first or second week of March

Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Noticed the same today, parked on a upslope and a gray water was coming from halfway middle of the truck. Also was running poorly engine bucking when starting/stopping thought I was hit at a stop light when hybrid ICE stopping. Was cold (Texas 40s)

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I pretty sure that TSB posted previously would be the fix. After thinking about it, if I recall correctly some owner(s) had glowing red hot catalytic converters in addition to the ruff running, etc. with some early MY22 hybrid builds. Don't recall that issue happening anymore for a long time now. You would think that fix would already be in the new builds programming. Maybe i all wrong, for sure get dealers to resolve it.

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I pretty sure that TSB posted previously would be the fix. After thinking about it, if I recall correctly some owner(s) had glowing red hot catalytic converters in addition to the ruff running, etc. with some early MY22 hybrid builds. Don't recall that issue happening anymore for a long time now. You would think that fix would already be in the new builds programming. Maybe i all wrong, for sure get dealers to resolve it.
The catalytic converter doesn't get red hot, and the idling isn't rough all the time and only happens at random times and only for a few seconds then goes away
Sponsored