Sponsored

Question about hitch mounted bike rack... safe if rear ended?

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
The Maverick bed size is too small for my bike and have a hitch mounted bike rack like this:

Ford Maverick Question about hitch mounted bike rack... safe if rear ended? kuet

On the surface, it seems like an additional protection in rear end collision, but...

The hitch is mounted to the frame, that made me think. If my truck gets rear ended when having the bike rack folded up like in the pic above, wouldn't that directly transfer the impact to the frame? When it does, even a relatively small bump in the rear could actually bend the frame, no?

Reading a number of posts here about rear ended and totaled, maybe I should just take off the rack when it is not used.

Any feedback on this?

TIA...
Sponsored

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Due to its low price and repairs being sky-high, if you sneeze hard, you could total the Maverick. Drive it and enjoy it, don’t worry so much.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You worry too much!

There is no "frame" as in a traditional BOF style, but rather a sub-frame as part of the unitbody structure. Any serious rear impact is going to affect the structure, with or without your rack.

So, stop worrying, and start riding! (and ALWAYS drive defensively) 🤠

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I always take my rack off when not in use because it’s ugly
Plus you can’t put the tailgate all the way down

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Due to its low price and repairs being sky-high, if you sneeze hard, you could total the Maverick. Drive it and enjoy it, don’t worry so much.
I'll keep that in mind and won't drive the Maverick, when I have a cold.... ;)

There is no "frame" as in a traditional BOF style, but rather a sub-frame as part of the unitbody structure. Any serious rear impact is going to affect the structure, with or without your rack.
While I knew that the Maverick comes with unibody structure, I didn't know that it'll be this weak. This is one of the reason I have buyer's remorse and should have bought something different.

Oh well, the rack will stay and whatever happens, happens...
Thx guys...

Sponsored

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm guessing the bike rack will take most of the damage in an incidental impact - like a bump or a nudge. Rubs don't count cause rubbin' is racin'.

What energy gets transferred to the body of the Maverick would have been direct energy otherwise. Also, if you're hit hard enough in the bike rack to bend the body of the Maverick, you won't need to worry about whether or not the bike rack was there.

MRickDetroit

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was able to get a bike into the bed at an angle with tire off, but so much easier with the rack! I put a little padding on the rack so can drop the tailgate some. I have a tonneau cover now. When rack is down, you can drop the tailgate IF you adjust the stop cables of the tailgate.....happy riding!

Ford Maverick Question about hitch mounted bike rack... safe if rear ended? 20230315_101517

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, a rack may actually help absorb a little damage to HELP the truck...

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I wouldnt leave the rack in full time personally unless you are riding 5+ days a week. Any impact has the chance of ruining the truck. I would focus on not getting rear ended, you have the 2.0, use it!
Also when stopped at a light, watch your mirrors for danger.

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
I was able to get a bike into the bed at an angle with tire off, but so much easier with the rack!
I vaguely recall seeing your post about putting your bike in the bed; didn't you make some brackets for the front fork for stability?

I have the Kuat Sherpa, not the NV 2.0. It pretty much works the same way as the 2.0, minus half the weight and has non-retractable cable lock for the bike. Mine won't be traveling as much as yours, may not even leave the county, much less the state. We have MTBs but they are used more for exercise, than actual MTB-ing, 3 - 5 times a week weather permitting.

Cautious, defensive driver or not, it isn't just up to me to prevent an accident. There's so much one can do in today's world of smartphones...

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cautious, defensive driver or not, it isn't just up to me to prevent an accident. There's so much one can do in today's world of smartphones...
So sad, but so true! I think that when the Maverick is refreshed, part of the rear that crumples in a minor impact maybe will be redesigned, so it can be replaced easily. It's possible the insurance industry will pressure them a bit, like they have with the Kia/Hyundia debacle.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless the bike rack has a dedicated crumple zone, I'm not sure it'll make enough difference.
Sponsored