Sponsored

Hitch bike rack that allows tailgate to go down.

greenweever

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Peterbuilt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Kuat transfer will not allow the tailgate to go all the way down. Anyone have recommendations? I'm not talking about a frame rack, but one that the tires sit on.
Sponsored

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Kuat transfer will not allow the tailgate to go all the way down. Anyone have recommendations? I'm not talking about a frame rack, but one that the tires sit on.
Hitch mounted platform rack. Mine allows the tailgate to go down a bit more than halfway. I gorilla taped some padding on the rack post where it contacts the tailgate. It can now rest on the hitch or put the tailgate in half up position and it's just above it.

Any type of hitch extender is going to cut your tongue weight in half, from 400 to 200 lbs. Measure you rack to the tailgate and see how much clearance you need to open the tailgate. Check etrailer for a 2" hitch extender in that length.

Another good (better) alt. is to keep your existing rack and get a swing away adapter. Much more $ than a simple hitch extender though.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Adapters-sf-Swing~Away_Hitch_Adapter.aspx

Last edited:

bmxmarty

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Odyssey, 2012 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't received my Maverick yet, however I use a 1-Up on my Odyssey. Bought it specifically for the low height so my hatch can open without tipping the rack down. Buy their single bike rack if you mostly ride solo, and then buy the add-on, which takes about 60-seconds to install/remove when you need to transport an additional bike. They have dimensions on their website so you can check fit. One other fit consideration is how close to flush your hitch is with the bumper. The further the hitch is recessed the lower the odds that the rack will work as I described. I believe they've got measurements for that as well.

Skifletch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My inlaws have a fold-down Thule that would definitely be low enough. 🤷‍♂️

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you get it figured out? I'm about to install this hitch extender. It will allow the tailgate down all the way with the bike rack. It's adjustable from 5.75 to 8.5 to 11 inches. Only the 8.5 or 11 settings will fit my bike rack, so I'm going to use it at 8.5" extension. I needed about 5" min to drop the gate. Extender is way cheaper than a swing away rack, roughly 10% of the cost. I should now be able to load and cook on the tailgate. Tailgating is back!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HitchMate-Hitch-Extension-6000/203517837#overlay

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid