Sponsored

Push button start - will vehicle shut itself off if you forget to power off?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They keep on running. Once I left my car running in a busy parking lot for 3 hours. Fortunately it didn't get stolen or run out of gas. It's one of the things I hate about pushbutton. I wish I could go back to a plain old key with no electronics involved but instead we get these ridiculously huge key fobs.
Coworker did that a few years back with a Hyundai, he got in at 6:30AM, we walked out to our vehicles, and he had the vehicle running with air conditioner on still at 5:30PM. 10 hours of idling, lol!
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They keep on running. Once I left my car running in a busy parking lot for 3 hours. Fortunately it didn't get stolen or run out of gas. It's one of the things I hate about pushbutton. I wish I could go back to a plain old key with no electronics involved but instead we get these ridiculously huge key fobs.
What @kingranchero said.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

perfectlyfrank

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most vehicles like Ford have a Max Idle Setting for 30 minutes within the vehicle. This CAN be turned off if you wish.
That is correct. From the owners manual:

Ford Maverick Push button start - will vehicle shut itself off if you forget to power off? 1638304051097

Also, if you leave the vehicle with the key while the engine is running, you cannot move it out of park.

Fragmental

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick First Edition
My Jetta will only push-button start if the key is in the vehicle or otherwise extremely close, and it will remain running even if you walk away with the key, but it will start beeping at you to let you know that the key is no longer in range. (It's not an annoying alarm, just a soft beep every 15 seconds or so with the display reading, "NO KEY.") I have only done this while it is in park though, like if I'm running into a gas station and leaving the family in the car while it's running to stay warm. I've never tried starting it, walking away with the key, and then seeing if it can be put in drive though.

Sponsored

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
Give and take.

Auto shut-off is great for mistakes but if one wants to remain inside an “idling” EV vehicle for extended periods of time (napping, camping, power outages, etc), then they suck. Big time.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Give and take.

Auto shut-off is great for mistakes but if one wants to remain inside an “idling” EV vehicle for extended periods of time (napping, camping, power outages, etc), then they suck. Big time.
That's true but personally I'd rather it cover my day to day mistake potential rather than help me out in those once in a while things. It sounds like if you have the keys in the car it'll stay on (camping, power outage) but I get what you're saying if a loved one is in the DMV for 3 hours its probably pretty irritating if they take the key.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
That's why all of these convenience "features" should have a toggle to turn them on and off. If they can add the ability to turn off the automatic braking in a menu, then they can do it for anything that is just software based such as auto start/stop, honking the horn when you walk away with the truck running, automatically turning off the truck, etc.
For sure, I usually agree that just about everything should have a toggle. I'd be in favor of automatically re-enabling stuff such as auto turn-off if the user disabled it but it would be great to hit a button saying "leave it on" or whatever.

Usually these sorts of failsafes I find should be automatic because that is the point of a failsafe but I will always appreciate a toggle off even if temporary.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
I find it hard that the vehicle will turn itself off. I would think there would be liability on Fords end for people sleeping or disabled that cant get out of the car and vehicle shuts down in summer. The vehicle would become a killer and most might not know the vehicle is designed that way.. Seems shady.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
That makes no sense. There is no failsafe necessary for any of these features. It can be one way or the other by default, but having it reset is just plain stupid. I have to manually turn off auto start/stop every time I start the car with a hardware button. It is just a software function though. In the area I live and the way I drive my car there are no good reasons to ever have my car turn off by itself. It is particularly bad when I am making a left turn and come to a stop temporarily for a few seconds to make a left turn and the car cycles on and off. My car honks its horn when I leave it running to go to the tailgate or leave it running to warm up while I clear snow off of it. Honking the horn for non emergencies is actually illegal in many jurisdictions.

We can both have what we want. You want all the naggy nanny features. Fine you can have them. They can even be turned on by default when you buy it. Just let me turn them off if I choose, just like other features that already allow this such as automatic braking (which doesn't even function properly).

Okay let's try to reel this one back to reality, nanny features exist because people are fundamentally irresponsible. Aside from this, If I design a product with a particular set of functional features let's say for regulatory purposes or reliability improvements, then building in a toggle off switch is going to cost my bottom line eventually in most cases. Whether it was a lawsuit because someone disabled a safety feature and my warning doesn't legally release me from all culpability or if it was something as simple as me having to cover warranty repairs because I allowed my users to disable some smart feature.

To quickly address an aside, nobody ever got a fine because their car honked while parked period. If someone told me that happened I just don't believe them so let's keep the conversation in this reality. I know this is true because almost every car honks when you tap lock twice. Is it annoying? that's another argument but legally that is a farce.

To be clear I'm talking about the auto shut off after the car has been remote started or if an intelligent access user left the car on and exited, not about the auto-start/stop at redlights. Its possible that auto-start/stop is problematic in your particular area for some reason but I can't speak to that.

My career is with computers and the #1 rule is that you never trust anyone no matter how simple something is because they will find a way to screw it up and make it your fault. If I could avoid 200-300 phone calls by not letting users disable something I will and do. Yes it is annoying for those more responsible or in the know but usually things are that way for a good reason. In my professional life it is always for a good reason so I tend to give OEMs the benefit of the doubt unless I have a good reason to think otherwise. Also where would this end? Should users be able to easily modify the valve timing? hell no!

To break bread with you a little bit, I can't think of a reason auto-start/stop can't be turned off assuming there's no valid engineering reason. But crucially the discussion was about unattended auto-off who's sole purpose is for those forgetting about it thus having a temporary disable is the most appropriate remedy which to be fair is already in the vehicle.

Sponsored

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
TIP: On hybrids with an electronic transmission and shifter and a foot on the brake, one can use the START/STOP button to both A) turn the vehicle off and B) automatically place vehicle in Park (P) at the same time. Very cool Easter egg.

My c-max has an old school mechanical shifter so it can’t use this short cut properly.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't think of a reason auto-start/stop can't be turned off assuming there's no valid engineering reason.
This is just a guess, but I think the auto-start/stop plays an important role in gas mileage and emissions. If Ford uses that technology to achieve the ratings it gets from EPA it would be deceptive for Ford to then allow owners to permanently shut it off.

I think of it kind of like catalytic converters. They are part of the emissions control system and you can't legally remove them because it would change the emission profile of the vehicle.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
This is just a guess, but I think the auto-start/stop plays an important role in gas mileage and emissions. If Ford uses that technology to achieve the ratings it gets from EPA it would be deceptive for Ford to then allow owners to permanently shut it off.

I think of it kind of like catalytic converters. They are part of the emissions control system and you can't legally remove them because it would change the emission profile of the vehicle.
I thought about that, but companies are allowed to do "insane mode" and stuff that kills range

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought about that, but companies are allowed to do "insane mode" and stuff that kills range
True. But I'm not sure EVs have the same CAFE standard worries that ICE vehicles do.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
True. But I'm not sure EVs have the same CAFE standard worries that ICE vehicles do.
oh yes but even "track mode" in production cars that kill the mileage and turn off several safety features.
Sponsored