First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice! I sure hope you can eliminate that torque/traction control. I've never had a car with any form of that and would find it pretty annoying to not be able to just mash it and work the pedal for the tires sake from there. These trucks really need a manual swap. Who care if the 8spd can be faster, its a mini truck, not a race car. Theres more fun in ripping around than trying to keep up with EVs.
These setups aren't that different from the Focus RS. The problem is, there are only so many of those, so finding one to complete a manual swap would probably be impossible! A FWD manual would probably be pretty easy to do, but there is still the wiring nanny's to worry about.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

These setups aren't that different from the Focus RS. The problem is, there are only so many of those, so finding one to complete a manual swap would probably be impossible! A FWD manual would probably be pretty easy to do, but there is still the wiring nanny's to worry about.
Would be nice for Ford to have a stand alone wiring harness and computer kit for the 250hp/2.0t. Beyond that if Ford really wants to get serious with offroading and the custom builds that come with it, not just high end stuff, but average consumer stuff. Like the success of Fox platform factory support. If they want to get the regular folks in on it, they could offer universal off road Advanced AWD management programming in factory chassis computers for the Bronco, Bronco Sport, Maverick, and any other platforms that offer a theses types of AWD.

If we had those key peices of making changes to drivetrains then we could build some really cool vehicles. How about a Lincoln Corsair with a 2.3/6spd, dual clutch rear, and H.O.S.S. supsension? Maybe a Tremor Connect/MT? Maverick with a Lincoln 2.3 with a Focus 6spd? If they make make it doable with out hiring a custom shop or spending double the price of the vehicle to build it in your garage people will buy this stuff. Then shops will buy and stock the stuff, then we will have a thriving custom performance industry for all the people that just cant afford to or dont have the infrastructure to go EV. Ford could own the end of ICE performance for a decade or so.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know I would love for my AWD to be a 6 speed manual. Everything I own is stick shift. First automatic vehicle I have bought for myself since 1987. I suppose I will get used to the "dial a gear setup" (insert eyeroll here)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would love a 6sp as well, although I'd keep the 2.0, it's a closed deck design. With a 6sp these would already be in the 11s....

Update: Ran a few more dragy runs after cleaning my garbage out of my Truckette and removing the spare tire.... 13.73@98mph is the best so far! 2.09 60', 5.29 0-60!!!!

Now I REALLY need to get that downpipe made!

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20221003-204047_dragy

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20221003-204056_dragy

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20221003-204109_dragy

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did a lil research earlier for your ego. Your Maverick can now run with an Ecoboost Mustang, 2nd gen Lightning, and GMC Cyclone, and the SRT10 Ram. Even with mods costs and forgetting inflation your Maverick is also cheaper than 2 of those and only marginally more than one of em, forgetting inflation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So tonight was a crazy night that I wasn't expecting! I decided for shits and grins to do what I've dpne with almost all my vehicles. Pull weight and weigh components to show what can be saved by simple weight reduction. In doing so, it looks like I set the record for quickest and fastest Maverick! 13.37@102mph!

So, besides that fact, here are some weights of components:

Passenger seat: 40lbs
Rear seat back: 20lbs
Rear seat bottom: 22lbs
Rear seat bar: 6lbs
Rear seat hardware, center seat belt, and plastic: 3lbs.

So that was 90lbs removed.

I forgot to weigh the spare tire and tools, but my guess is 35lbs.

Lastly, removing the Cat-back exaust saved 32lbs..

So for those keeping track, that's roughly 160lbs total removed.

The fastest cars will always be the one's with the best power to weight. Since power is limited, losing weight accomplishes the same thing!

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20221004-203503_dragy

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20221004-203720_dragy

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20221004-204036_dragy

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put the exhaust back on last night, so I could drive to work. With exhaust, still did a very respectable 13.41@101mph. So, goes to show that removing the cat-back really didn't offer too much in performance gains, probably because the downpipe is the actual exhaust restriction.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 13.41 101mph Dragy

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Small update: I have changed directions from the Ranger turbo. The ranger turbo will work, with buying or making new oil and coolant lines, and a new or modified downpipe, but I have a new direction I will try. Updates to come on that!

So if anyone wants a Ranger turbo, I have one for sale! Lol

John

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, racing at the track was a bust! The Dragway closed their Friday night T&T because the weather was too cold, and changed the T&T to Saturday. When I showed up, they told me I couldn't run because they weren't letting people without drag slicks or radials run. While I agree with why they did this, I was pissed I drove 45 minutes for nothing. They did it because there was a Shootout going on, and everyone racing was 1000wph or more.

So, no drag slips for QuickRik this weekend. It'll have to wait until the next T&T...

I did run slightly faster this morning in some negative DA, but you know, it's ONLY on a Draggy......

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20221009-101611_dragy

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I have a small update. The "new" turbo showed up today. It is from a 2020 Lincoln Corsair. It runs the same compressor housing and turbine housing as the Maverick's turbo, or if not the same, extremely close. The wastegate actuator is on the bottom side of the compressor housing, just like stock as well.

The benefit, it it has the same compressor wheel dimensions as the ranger turbo, 46mm inducer and 61.5ish mm exducer. The turbine wheel looks the same, but I didn't tear it apart to measure it.

The corsair 2.3T also uses the same downpipe gasket, so the stock (or aftermarket) downpipe will bolt right up!

I will have to order the Corsair oil and coolant lines, and I cannot guarantee that they will bolt straight to the Maverick's 2.0, but they sure look like they do from the parts catalog photos I have been researching.

Here is the Corsair turbo next to the ranger turbo that I have. Corsair turbo is on the right.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20221011_175351

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20221011_175359

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20221011_175416

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20221011_175429

Last edited:
Sponsored

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I have a small update. The "new" turbo showed up today. It is from a 2020 Lincoln Corsair. It runs the same compressor housing and turbine housing as the Maverick's turbo, or if not the same, extremely close. The wastegate actuator is on the bottom side of the compressor housing, just like stock as well.

The benefit, it it has the same compressor wheel dimensions as the ranger turbo, 46mm inducer and 61.5ish mm exducer. The turbine wheel looks the same, but I didn't tear it apart to measure it.

The corsair 2.3T also uses the same downpipe gasket, so the stock (or aftermarket) downpipe will bolt right up!

I will have to order the Corsair oil and coolant lines, and I cannot guarantee that they will bolt straight to the Maverick's 2.0, but they sure look like they do from the parts catalog photos I have been researching.

Here is the Corsair turbo next to the ranger turbo that I have. Corsair turbo is on the right.

20221011_175351.jpg

20221011_175359.jpg

20221011_175416.jpg

20221011_175429.jpg
Electronic Watergate actuator. Who woulda thunk it. All my experience w turbo stuff is 1980s-1990s Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5 turbo engines. They used vacuum operated wastegates.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

20221011_175351.jpg

20221011_175359.jpg

20221011_175416.jpg

20221011_175429.jpg
interesting. everything is similar but you're saying the Ranger turbo has more issues bolting up than the Corsair turbo? that might make sense given the Corsair is transverse and uses the 8 speed auto that we have in the Maverick and the Ranger is longitudinal and mates to the 10 speed.

I assume you're going to take pics of the Corsair turbo next to your stock Maverick turbo. :)

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2021 Expedition, 1993 T-bird
Thought I would share this here. I took apart one of the Ranger wastegates that I have to see what is what.

So far I have pinned out the motor leads and am working to determine which pin is ground, CAN High and CAN Low.

If anyone has a good resource to look of the computer chip that might really help open up what can be done with these.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build IMG_2616

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build IMG_2617

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build IMG_2618

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build IMG_2619

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thought I would share this here. I took apart one of the Ranger wastegates that I have to see what is what.

So far I have pinned out the motor leads and am working to determine which pin is ground, CAN High and CAN Low.

If anyone has a good resource to look of the computer chip that might really help open up what can be done with these.

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg
Yea, the construction is not very robust looking(CHEAP). Wonder what the longevity of these controllers will be? I hope they are cheap and easy to replace.

Felixtech

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Accord EXL, 82 XJ750, 23 Maverick ordered
I would love a 6sp as well, although I'd keep the 2.0, it's a closed deck design. With a 6sp these would already be in the 11s....
If what ive read is true, people have been swapping out the 2.3 block for the 2.0.. 2.0 is stronger. main difference i saw when i blew it up on SnapOn EPC what the 2.3 has a balance shaft and the 2.0 does not.. also curious to know if the focus RS turbo is better than the ranger turbo. the mounting design looks similar. Different part numbers across the board. waiting for mine to land so i can start my build. Going insane with it though and shooting for as much power as the rods will hold. FWIW you can still buy RS transmissions from ford ;);) i cant get you the actual list price and part numbers tomorrow morning.
Sponsored