First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also, as a side note, you can look into the Focus ST upgraded intercoolers. They may be a little smaller and fit better! Cost should be about the same.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Side note this morning. I'm not sure why, but I'm assuming it's the no wind, 75° temps helping it, but between last night and this morning, I have traveled 102 miles, including 15-20 in town miles, and my average is showing 34.8mpg! Typically I'm hand calculated about .7-1.0 mpg lower than the dash shows, but holy crap! That's a far better result than my standard 27-28mpg!

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220610_055945

Last edited:

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No e85? I figured almost all newer vehicles could run it or has that changed?
No, it was 2x as bad for the environment because of co2 release from soil and corn, and doubled food prices because less corn for the livestock. Not to mention its worse performance and hard on the engines.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Side note this morning. I'm not sure why, but I'm assuming it's the no wind, 75° temps helping it, but between last night and this morning, I have traveled 102 miles, including 15-20 in town miles, and my average is showing 34.8mpg! Typically I'm hand calculated about .7-1.0 mpg lower than the dash shows, but holy crap! That's a far better result than my standard 27-28mpg!

20220610_055945.jpg
You have increased the effiency with the big FMIC. I am hoping maybe I can find one bigger than stock that maybe I wont have to cut the bumper cover.

I bet once you baffle it up and run a splitter under it, you can get a bit higher on your numbers, but it looks like the intercooler is doing its job.

Look into water injection.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have increased the effiency with the big FMIC. I am hoping maybe I can find one bigger than stock that maybe I wont have to cut the bumper cover.

I bet once you baffle it up and run a splitter under it, you can get a bit higher on your numbers, but it looks like the intercooler is doing its job.

Look into water injection.
The intercooler didn't add to my mileage. Under normal running circumstances, the intercooler may be seeing a couple degrees cooler than stock, that's it. The air going in is no different than it was stock. I did fill up at a different gas station, but I'm assuming it's more of the really calm night and morning weather wise as to why there is such an increase.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, it was 2x as bad for the environment because of co2 release from soil and corn, and doubled food prices because less corn for the livestock. Not to mention its worse performance and hard on the engines.
Explain the "worse performance" and "hard on the engines" comments. Being 104-108 octane, it definitely is not worse performance, unless you are referring to it's thermal efficiency as an alcohol.... I've used E85 on almost all of my project cars and have never had an issue with it being hard on the engine.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Explain the "worse performance" and "hard on the engines" comments. Being 104-108 octane, it definitely is not worse performance, unless you are referring to it's thermal efficiency as an alcohol.... I've used E85 on almost all of my project cars and have never had an issue with it being hard on the engine.
It wrecks carburetors, however I believe all new vehicles are designed with rubber, metal, and plastic parts that can withstand the effects of the alcohol. For new stuff E85 doesnt hurt anything.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Correct, the rubber lines have been able to handle the ethanol for quite some time. A lot of people read these horror stories online and just assume that is how it is. I have lived it and know otherwise. BUT, I will say that I almost always switch back and forth with 91 or 93 octane every now and then as well, usually because of the winter months and cold starts on E85 suck, lol

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another small update on my mpg's this tank. I kept my foot out of it, and the gauge ended up at 33.9 miles over about 240 miles. After filling up, it came out to 32.0mpg's! This is just doing my normal commute and normal drives, but keeping my foot off the gas as much as I could. Not too shabby! This does have my 91 performance tune on it.

Attachments

Sponsored

davis1d0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2021 Expedition, 1993 T-bird
Just a little info, most ethanol is made as a corn feed byproduct. Live stock feed isn’t affected as much as you might think. With that said it still isn’t a good gas alternative, but does make great racing fuel.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well it's been almost 4 months since I've posted in the thread, and that is because I haven't worked on my Mav at all! This weekend I was going to try and make my own downpipe, but that failed terribly, just too much going on.

However, I went out and did a couple dragy runs, since the DA was a crazy 500ft, which is awesome for my area. Attached are the dragy screenshots, 13.93 and 13.90, both at 98mph. I'm ok with that for now!

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Dragy screenshot 13.93

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Dragy screenshot 13.90

Last edited:

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like torque management is a major stumbling block on launch. Your ET's and MPH improving but the 60 ft's are staying the same.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Correct. I asked 5 Star about removing torque management for good launches, and they said that SCT doesn't offer a way to modify those parameters yet. Hopefully we get something soon, as we are talking a few extra tenths in the quarter for sure.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice! I sure hope you can eliminate that torque/traction control. I've never had a car with any form of that and would find it pretty annoying to not be able to just mash it and work the pedal for the tires sake from there. These trucks really need a manual swap. Who care if the 8spd can be faster, its a mini truck, not a race car. Theres more fun in ripping around than trying to keep up with EVs.
Sponsored