Sponsored

Poll: How many of you are purchasing your first hybrid with this truck?

Is this your first hybrid purchase?

• Total voters

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Nobody said the power never goes out. But the power outage is unlikely to have the significant effect you imply. If you don't charge one night, it is unlikely to leave you stranded at home any more than a gas vehicle is likely to leave you stranded because you had planned to fill up and didn't.
And, yeah, PHEVs have the benefit of redundancy, and they allow one to often have an all-electric commute. But you still have the internal combustion maintenance and such. I currently run PHEV, but it has made me realize how little I actually need combustion. I end up running gas when I don't need to just to be sure I don't gunk things up leaving the gas in there too long.
I don't want to be reliant on gas. I do take a couple long trips a year and they would be slightly longer with an electric, but they stay mostly in areas powered by hydro, which means affordable and clean energy.
Most people will be fine with one EV and no other vehicle. It doesn't cover all cases (unreliable grid, no charging access at home, etc.), but it will hardly leave most people stranded.
um, I never said it will ā€œleave most people stranded,ā€œ but whatever.
Just as I never said EV were ā€œinferior.ā€
Straw man arguments....you like your full EV....have at it.
You choose lower maintenance, over redundancy....different viewpoints.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CPrevost

First Name
Cane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
This is my first hybrid. Just curious.
This will be my first hybrid. Right now I have a 1998 Ranger and a Smart Car. I use the Smart as my commuter car and the Ranger for hauling. This will replace both. It gets better mileage than my tiny Smart car which is wonder to me. The bed is tiny compared to my Ranger but I think I can make it work.

Drewesque

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro, soon to be Maverick Lariat Hybrid
um, I never said it will ā€œleave most people stranded,ā€œ but whatever.
Just as I never said EV were ā€œinferior.ā€
Straw man arguments....you like your full EV....have at it.
You choose lower maintenance, over redundancy....different viewpoints.
The talk about reliance on the grid seemed to imply that you thought they would leave people stranded. And the dismissal of solar as being an option without reliance on the grid or refineries supported that.
But, yeah, we can each make the choices that make the most sense from our points of view.

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Neither buying a truck or a hybrid because I'm "supposed to". Rather because it's a very sensible vehicle for basic transportation, efficient, utilitarian, and the technology seems mature and mainstream now.

brdl04

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
3rd Hybrid vehicle here:

Work issued 2013 Toyota Prius
Work issued 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Vehicle Allowance 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid.

I got 41MPG from the Prius and I drove it like I stole it, Sport Mode all the time.
Fusion Hybrid is getting 38mpg right now, compared to the Prius the engine turns on sooner in the acceleration cycle.

Im looking forward to having basically the same fusion engine with the utility of a pickup.

Sponsored

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My wife's 2019 hybrid Accord gets 45mpg. The Accord is a big car and has plenty of get up and go.

I had a 2017 ecoboost Fusion. great car and I loved it. I gave it to my sister, she needed a car and couldn't afford one at the time.

I would be tempted to buy the ecoboost except I need to be able to tow the Maverick behind a MH and from what I am reading, that is not possible with AWD.

Top_Gun

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado Diesel
Engine
Undecided
First ever Hybrid purchase, second pick up truck. Had a Tundra that got 12 mpg, loved having the utility of the truck when I needed it, but hated the mpg. So I sold it and got a Civic Hatchback a couple of years ago, to use as a commuter/hauler.

Really excited that Ford developed this vehicle, swore I would never buy a first year anything, but this truck is too exciting to pass up!

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First ever Hybrid purchase, second pick up truck. Had a Tundra that got 12 mpg, loved having the utility of the truck when I needed it, but hated the mpg. So I sold it and got a Civic Hatchback a couple of years ago, to use as a commuter/hauler.

Really excited that Ford developed this vehicle, swore I would never buy a first year anything, but this truck is too exciting to pass up!
Of you're going tk buy a first year at least you got one that is using a proven platform.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hell has officially frozen over. Not only will this be my first hybrid, this will also be my first Ford. (Buying my husband an F-150 doesn't count since I rarely drive it.) I come from a long line of family that are VW and English car drivers. For sanity's sake, had to give up both. Have been a Honda owner since 1998 after VW left me stranded one too many times, but suffer from truck-envy. Found the Ford Maverick on YouTube the other day and it was love at first sight.

I've been considering making the switch to a hybrid vehicle for awhile. My sister is a big Prius fan/tree-hugger/vegan blah-blah-blah, and my brother likewise jumped on board and leased a Prius, which to me has been an ugly car from the get-go much like the Nissan Leaf. My son-in-law bought a Honda Insight in 2019 which I've driven a few times. Nice car, has some "ass" behind it and can be driven like it's been stolen as needed, all while producing a respectable 48-56mpg.

For me personally, I'm getting bored with Honda. Was hoping Honda would have brought back the Element, but such is not the case. I'm over driving a sedan, and much like the rest of today's drivers was going to make the shift from sedan to SUV. Once I started looking at SUVs, I came to the conclusion that they're overpriced and unnecessary for what I need it to do. The Ford Maverick simply checks all the boxes: Ford is giving the people an affordable hybrid option in a four-door vehicle with the utilitarian usefulness of a truck. Win-win!

**Correction. I ended up ordering the 2.0 Ecoboost.

Last edited:

Thoron99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First truck and first Ford that I've owned. (have driven pickups for work in past)

Owned a 2011 Prius for a while, great car hatchback made it more useful than I thought it would be and averaged around 49mpg but my sons eventually got too tall to fit in the back.

Sponsored

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First hybrid. Like the idea of better fuel mileage over an ev with out charge over night or rapid charge in 30 minutes. Waiting around 30 minutes on a road trip does not sound like fun. Know you have to eat etc, but still don't like to be limited as forced waiting charge times.

CZaugg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, 2021 Toyota Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing against hybrids, but I prefer something with a punch. 2/3 of my last vehicles were 4 cylinder turbos with AWD. I did not cast a vote
I purchased my first Hybrid in January this year. The car I bought was a 2021 Toyota Venza. This is an AWD upscale SUV. This baby has quite a bit of "punch", especially when put in the "sport" mode. I get 43 mpg city driving and 36-38 mpg freeway This car replaced my diesel VW Passat, which averaged 43 mpg. It use to be diesel fuel was cheaper than regular gasoline. So if one had a diesel vehicle with good mpg, one could come off smelling like a rose as far as fuel costs. Well, things has changed and MOST of the time, diesel fuel costs more. It's refreshing driving a comfortable car that gets excellent fuel economy and has plenty of pick up and go. No, I'm not a salesman for Toyota. I just fell in love with my new hybrid vehicle. I bought it just at the right time too, just before this "chip shortage" situation we all are in now. I got a "fair" price too. Now, Toyota's sales lots are quite bare along with all the other manufactures. I also have a diesel Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. This beast really drinks up the fuel, reason I will be selling my 5th wheel trailer and my truck also. Reason for ordering the Ford Maverick. I just need a little run around pick up that gets good fuel mileage. EPA on the Maverick is 42 city. Even though its not AWD and only FWD, for my needs it should serve the purpose. Having a small truck to run around with will be refreshing. The "beast", Silverado, is like driving around in a limousine. Not the best vehicle to run around shopping in. Getting in and out of parking spaces is a challenge. Reason for parking in the back 40 when possible. The beast is necessary for pulling my 5th wheel and has served me well. So when the 5th wheel sells, the Chevy will be next. I'm in no hurry to get the Maverick, which is good at this time with all the shortages in chips and parts, etc. From what I have read from others who have driven the hybrid Maverick, it has plenty of pick up and go. Good enough for me.

damnclose

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Caravan, 2002 Chevy Silverado 4X4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This will be my first Hybrid. In the past as stated in some of the other responses the added price for the Hybrid model didn't make since for the small amount of money saving MPG. This is a no brainer price right, MPG is great, 5 passenger seating, convenience of a truck bed, how can you go wrong and it will fit in my garage.
Just anxiously waiting for my Velocity Blue XL hybrid with sunroof, trailer hitch, 360 and sliding rear window.

MRickDetroit

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First Hybrid, first truck, first Ford!

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
Wow! Iā€™m surprised at the number of people who have only recently or not yet (hurry up Ford!) have had hybrids. Iā€™ve had one or more Pri iā€¦ Priuses? Since 2005. Drove 4 hours to a dealership just to see one before ordering. Built it in Japan and took about 2 months to get here. Iā€™ve probably averaged 40 mpg or so over the years but I drive pretty bad. I had a friend who drove like a grandma and got 56. Iā€™ve pulled batteries, rebuilt batteries, and had to check oil weekly. Ive also had numerous Ford trucks Rangers and F350-450 (current). Iā€™m hoping the Maverick will be a happy medium between the old Ranger and a Prius. Maybe Iā€™ll find out once people get off their lazy butts and go back to work making some parts. šŸ˜
Sponsored