First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never "top off" a car, that's bad for any car, not just the maverick. Never run your car down to E either, that massively reduces the life of a fuel pump. I feel sketchy anytime I dip below 50 miles to E.
I have been topping off a fuel tank for almost 50 years without any issues. But apparently the Maverick has a one-way valve in the gas line that you cannot do this. And yes my OCD doesn't let my gas tank get much below half full LOL
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Never "top off" a car, that's bad for any car, not just the maverick. Never run your car down to E either, that massively reduces the life of a fuel pump. I feel sketchy anytime I dip below 50 miles to E.
Except in the Maverick you can run to "E" and Zero miles to "Empty" because Ford engineered in 2.5 gallons of reserve past this.

You know. To protect you from you.
😎

OP
OP

Big C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Recently on a trip from South Florida to North Carolina I stopped at a BP gas station to refill my Maverick. I am aware what the manual says about overfilling a past the first click of the gas pump handle. Unfortunately the gas pump handles automatic cut off feature was not working properly. You had to keep holding the lever in order for the gas to flow. As a result the gas overflowed and Spilled onto the ground. I went inside and alerted the clerk what had happened and they told me the previous week someone had drove off with the hose still connected to the vehicle. So apparently the repair was not done properly. This caused my check engine light to come on and required me to take it into the dealer. I Googled the issue and found out some possible fixes for a stuck gas filler intake valve. I tried those and tried to clear the check engine light but it did not work and as a result I took it to the dealer. Now I am waiting on the part which they said will take about a week to get. Not happy as I had ceramic coated my truck and of course gas went all over the side of the truck and was only able to pour a bucket of water over the side of the truck later in the day. I think they should have used the old school regular gas cap to prevent this issue I'm guessing Ford is going to be replacing a lot of these gas filler valves
Well today I noticed the check engine light is no longer on. So I'm not sure if when my part comes in. Whether I should cancel the appointment or go ahead and let him put the new part. I'm a bit concerned that they could do more damage and scratch up the truck.

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

SAE procedure is let it automatically stop, then restart only 2 more times. This does not constitute "topping off".

Depending on numerous factors there can be premature shut offs. But three shut offs, initial plus two more is trustworthy you have a full tank.

As mamma always said:
"One can be a fluke. Two can be a coincidence. Three times and you have a pattern."

I've been following this for the past 25 refuels, and no problems with my truck.
Same in pattering Bass😁🎣

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The same type of fueling system has been used since the early 2000s. The reason you don't overfill is the fuel goes into the emissions evap system causing codes. Sometimes the fuel will evaporate off and the code will go away and sometimes it won't and parts have to be replaced. It's nothing new.

Sponsored

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What was the part to be replaced that caused the CEL to come on?

Milous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Alto Blu, LUX, Sunroof, delivered 3/18/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been topping off the tank in my Maverick for a couple years now, as well as the wife's car, and other vehicles for decades. I am usually able to get an extra 1-2.5 gallons after the first "click". Guess I have been lucky never having any issues in doing that...

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tig
Engine
Undecided
Recently on a trip from South Florida to North Carolina I stopped at a BP gas station to refill my Maverick. I am aware what the manual says about overfilling a past the first click of the gas pump handle. Unfortunately the gas pump handles automatic cut off feature was not working properly. You had to keep holding the lever in order for the gas to flow. As a result the gas overflowed and Spilled onto the ground. I went inside and alerted the clerk what had happened and they told me the previous week someone had drove off with the hose still connected to the vehicle. So apparently the repair was not done properly. This caused my check engine light to come on and required me to take it into the dealer. I Googled the issue and found out some possible fixes for a stuck gas filler intake valve. I tried those and tried to clear the check engine light but it did not work and as a result I took it to the dealer. Now I am waiting on the part which they said will take about a week to get. Not happy as I had ceramic coated my truck and of course gas went all over the side of the truck and was only able to pour a bucket of water over the side of the truck later in the day. I think they should have used the old school regular gas cap to prevent this issue I'm guessing Ford is going to be replacing a lot of these gas filler valves
Assume it a Ford issue, know what they say about assuming?

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Except in the Maverick you can run to "E" and Zero miles to "Empty" because Ford engineered in 2.5 gallons of reserve past this.

You know. To protect you from you.
😎
so are you saying the hybrid actually holds 16 plus gallons?

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not this again...... Giant can of worms.

Short answer is that folks have run their Maverick well beyond "0 miles to empty", then filled wayyyyy over the stated capacity at the pump. So yes, the tanks are literally capable of holding more than the stated "capacity". Has been shown multiple times by multiple different MTC members on multiple different Mavericks. Hybrid and EcoBoost.

I said Giant can of worms because some people on here are REALLY passionate about the subject. Some are in complete denial, some have convoluted answers for where the "extra" gas is going, etc...

I don't have a dog in the fight. But I watch.....

Sponsored

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not this again...... Giant can of worms.

Short answer is that folks have run their Maverick well beyond "0 miles to empty", then filled wayyyyy over the stated capacity at the pump. So yes, the tanks are literally capable of holding more than the stated "capacity". Has been shown multiple times by multiple different MTC members on multiple different Mavericks. Hybrid and EcoBoost.

I said Giant can of worms because some people on here are REALLY passionate about the subject. Some are in complete denial, some have convoluted answers for where the "extra" gas is going, etc...

I don't have a dog in the fight. But I watch.....
ya, don't really care much just curious.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

paneubert beat me to it.

But yes.

If you drive until the truck stops driving, the gas pump will put in 15.9 gallons until the first automatic shut off, and puts in 16.5 gallons after letting it "settle" and restarting the pump 2 more times. I am one of the dozen or so hybrid owners who have pumped 16.x gallons into a stock hybrid tank.

CD_SM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 '06
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
... my OCD doesn't let my gas tank get much below half full LOL
Lol my OCD won't let me get near a gas station until the low fuel light has been on at least ten miles. Drives my wife crazy.
(I'll try to make a New Year's resolution to be better about that with my Maverick when I get it. No promises though...)
Sponsored