First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Jeep Gladiator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Opened back door today and looking down, I saw this crack. Not sure how it happened. It has been cold and I'm have not had anyone in the back for awhile. Next question covered under warranty? looks like a scratch in photo but it is a break
Ford Maverick Opened back door and discovered this crack PXL_20230302_140011641
Ford Maverick Opened back door and discovered this crack PXL_20230302_140015425
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like a scratch to me -

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My rear end has always had a crack! 🤣

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It don't look like a crack, it looks like a pretty deep scratch. Has something got lodged in the area and took some force to remove?

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Def a scratch
That plastic back there is pretty tough, doubt it would be able to crack in that spot

Sponsored

jeffrol48197

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Explorer, 2009 Focus, 2019 Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it possible you or someone stood on that trim piece? For example, in removing or replacing the antenna? Just my thought....Or, drying off the roof after a car wash?

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

While I wish you the best with your issue, this post seems to fall into the "why are you asking us?" category. Only Ford and/or your dealer can tell you if this is covered. Surely you are going to call them and inquire. Let us know how you make out.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I agree it's a scratch. Looking critically at the rest of the picture, I would speculate that it was a dog's toenail when getting into the truck. The plastic is not at all hard to scratch.

It is pretty hard to crack, especially in that location unless you were to actually remove the plastic trim from the truck and then step on it. Just stepping on it seems very unlikely to crack it.

I've had that piece of plastic out 4-5 times at a minimum. I installed a subwoofer under the bench there, I know what I'm talking about to some extent. I haven't scratched or cracked mine.

Ottocycle

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' RS6 Avant, 14' CTS-V Wagon, 87' BMW 535is
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Why is everyone disagreeing with what the op is saying/asking? The man says it's cracked and asks for warranty advice but everyone reply is that it's a scratch. I agree another angle would probably help the skeptics out there. Assuming it's is broken OP, I'd say you have a 50/50 shot at warranty. Me personally, I'd just order the trim piece and replace it myself and not deal with the dealership warranty bullshit.

OP
OP
Cobraj

Cobraj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Jeep Gladiator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why is everyone disagreeing with what the op is saying/asking? The man says it's cracked and asks for warranty advice but everyone reply is that it's a scratch. I agree another angle would probably help the skeptics out there. Assuming it's is broken OP, I'd say you have a 50/50 shot at warranty. Me personally, I'd just order the trim piece and replace it myself and not deal with the dealership warranty bullshit.
Thank you! It is not a scratch, yeah not holding my breath, will swing it by to see if it can be covered, got nothing to lose and carbon fibre tape to make a door sill if they don't

Ford Maverick Opened back door and discovered this crack PXL_20230302_210048690.MP

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Alright, why not post that pic to start with? LOL, j/k and sorry for doubting you but everyone has scratched plastic and almost no one has cracked plastic.

Pull that piece off. It'll have a part # on the back. Punch that part # into Google and there's your replacement cost.

Armed with that info as background knowledge, go to the dealership and try to get it covered under 3/36 bumper to bumper. I agree 50/50 on that.

If they don't cover it and you don't want to buy a new one, you could try repairing it but I bet it'll crack again. In theory, you would put an epoxy on the back and then melt the front with a heat gun. I have decent confidence you could make the crack less visible, but think it'll probably crack again as soon as it's stepped on with much force. And anyone should be able to step there, like to clean the center of the roof, without it cracking.

OP
OP
Cobraj

Cobraj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Jeep Gladiator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alright, why not post that pic to start with? LOL, j/k and sorry for doubting you but everyone has scratched plastic and almost no one has cracked plastic.

Pull that piece off. It'll have a part # on the back. Punch that part # into Google and there's your replacement cost.

Armed with that info as background knowledge, go to the dealership and try to get it covered under 3/36 bumper to bumper. I agree 50/50 on that.

If they don't cover it and you don't want to buy a new one, you could try repairing it but I bet it'll crack again. In theory, you would put an epoxy on the back and then melt the front with a heat gun. I have decent confidence you could make the crack less visible, but think it'll probably crack again as soon as it's stepped on with much force. And anyone should be able to step there, like to clean the center of the roof, without it cracking.
so weird, it has been really cold in Northern Maine, either when it was steppe on or when door was shut hard maybe!
Sponsored