First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
corvette, ram, jeep
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Found chips in paint on front fender today, as bad as any chip I had on my 14 year old Honda Element with 225K I just sold. My wife’s 10 year old car doesn’t have any chips like this.

The list of little annoyances is starting to build.

If it’s getting chips after a month I can’t imagine how crappy it’s going to look in 10 years.

Interior plastic scratches easier than any car I’ve ever owned.

Cloth seat covers not mounted to cushions as others have noted and look “loose” in places.

Speakers are junk, we’ve seen the pictures so not surprising.

Im really concerned about the longevity of these vehicles.

I really like the truck but either this is first year incompetence or they cheaped out on everything.

For a $19K truck maybe this type of thing is acceptable these days but when you add features and pay $30k or more this is ridiculous.

I honestly wouldn’t recommend it to anyone right now based on the level of quality on some of these things. Hope the mechanical parts are built better than the rest of it.
I have had my Larit now for a little over 4 months now and have driven it like I stole it hauling dirt bikes, road bikes, farm supplies and have absolutely no complaints and no issues. quality for its price is spot on for me.Absolutely love the little truck and would buy again and recommend without reservations. Maybe you got a lemon built by a Mexican hung over with too much tequila
Sponsored

MrRaymond

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Seen a few posts about rock chips, and it's fair to say that you're going to have problems with that on every car. I have some paint chips on my Maverick, but I can't point fingers at the quality of paint, seeing that I live in Arizona and the highways here are rock galore. Hard to say.

I've owned quite a few Fords. Never had a problem with the paint on any of them. So far so good on mine.

hopkin22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Found chips in paint on front fender today, as bad as any chip I had on my 14 year old Honda Element with 225K I just sold. My wife’s 10 year old car doesn’t have any chips like this.

If it’s getting chips after a month I can’t imagine how crappy it’s going to look in 10 years.

Cloth seat covers not mounted to cushions as others have noted and look “loose” in places.

I really like the truck but either this is first year incompetence or they cheaped out on everything.

For a $19K truck maybe this type of thing is acceptable these days but when you add features and pay $30k or more this is ridiculous.

I honestly wouldn’t recommend it to anyone right now based on the level of quality on some of these things. Hope the mechanical parts are built better than the rest of it.
I have just under 4K on my Xlt fx4 “lux” package. Here is what I think of it. I spent 32k no where near the starting price. I like the size and the utility aspect of it. For it being an fx4 the awd system is awesome. Takes mud, sand, snow with ease.
Here is my complaint: it’s cheap. I knew this buying it, but as you put miles on it you will see that it’s cheap. Bang around in a Tacoma on a rough trail type road and then bang around in a maverick. There is no question there is a build quality difference. My wife’s 2021 rav 4 is built 5x better than this. I love the tradition and history of Ford. I love their new ideas and direction they are headed. But when it comes to quality- your not going to get it. Heck, my buddy has a new f150 xlt and it has been in the shop more then he has had it and full of rust underneath. Now for my maverick, I have had a ticking noise in the dash and have had it in the shop 5 times. I took it Monday and I won’t have it back until March. They won’t take anything apart until ford okays it. The fuel tank recall was done and it failed. They need to order parts there too. And they have no loaner vehicles. Disappointed? Yeah. I could spend a couple bucks more a month and get a Tacoma but would have to spend a lot more on gas. If ford does not make this right, this will be the last ford I ever buy. Love the size, concept, practicality of it. But the quality of materials used……nope. My sisters forester and my wife’s rav 4 put the build quality to shame and they are entry levels too. I want it fixed right because I do love the truck, but I know what got.

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Without reading through the entire thread, I can confirm how crappy the quality of the truck is. My issues:
-I have rattle everywhere inside the cabin
-My sunglasses holder is falling apart and the door doesn't close anymore
-I am not sure how long the foam of the seat can resist the heavy weight of an average male driver in his 40s before it starts to deform. Seats are also too short on the bottom and really not comfortable
- The ride is anything but fun, might be a hybrid thing
- Agree with the scratching of the interior, I have scratches everywhere
- and few more things I can not think of right now....

But...... I still love this efing truck. I think there is not a better looking and cooler truck (other than maybe the Raptor or some of the crazy Toyota TRD trucks). There are many things I don't like about this truck but there are way more things what I love about it and therefore I will keep it.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

-I have rattle everywhere inside the cabin
-I am not sure how long the foam of the seat can resist the heavy weight of an average male driver in his 40s before it starts to deform. Seats are also too short on the bottom and really not comfortable
Agree 100% with everything you said.

Sponsored

nickmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 09 jeep patriot at the paint is pretty decent even today, and the interior plastics dont have scratches. I bought it in 09 yes but it was definitely cheaper than the Mav even with inflation.

I dont know enough about paint or the car industry, but if this paint is standard for all cars then i guess it is what it is. If not, then it seems like an unnecessary cost cutting move because anyone who is not using this as a fleet/work truck will probably want their paint to hold up and would probably spend a few hundred more to achieve that.

Similarly, easily scratching plastics seems stupid. Again my 09 Jeep with plastic galore doesnt scratch even if i try to scratch it. It takes some sort of metal or object to scratch. Cant just use my fingernail. Once again, for a pure work truck who cares, but is that their entire customer base? Definitely not. Cheaping out to save a couple bucks and bring the price down slightly seems entirely unnecessary as anyone who wants to use this as a personal vehicle is not going to want to stare at scratches everywhere.

Overall these are decisions that probably didn't cut much off the price but at the same time will ruin the aesthetics of the truck at an accelerated rate and probably piss off a huge portion of customers. I just dont get the logic behind the decisions. These are supposed to be vehicles for everyone right? Even people new to the truck market? What average person is going to want to look at a scratched up interior and chipped up paint? Do you think that is going to resonate well with your customers? Is it worth the few hundred bucks in savings?

It may be a cheap vehicle but do honda civics have these same issues? Im willing to bet not.

Look at what the typical config is for your average maverick. People arent buying these to beat up, they want it to look good and they want to enjoy driving in it. but i guess getting it under 20k was the goal for headlines, regardless of how the vehicle holds up.

Reactions: bgn

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Those who paid more than $30k for this truck will have regrets for every little thing that goes wrong with the vehicle. This is why I chose to pay as little as possible and it doesn't matter if it's a Ford or Toyota. Regret or remorse is the worst thing to have when you paid top dollars for things that don't match your sky high expectations.

Taildragger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Martt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick AWD, Jeep Deserthawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm 11 days and 800 miles into my XLT AWD with 4K tow ($30,440) and love it. It feels solid, handles great, and is blistering fast in Sport mode.

Ford Maverick One month in and I’m having doubts Mav and Baby Ace 2 2000px

If it was just a car it would be a decent deal, but it's got a very useful and well designed cargo bed (with loads of lighting and a 400w power port) AND it's a very solid towing vehicle.

I'll add that we also have a 2017 Jeep Renegade Deserthawk that would be about $5,000 more than my Maverick if it was a 2022 model. The Jeep gets the nod when it comes to the interior materials, and it has the dual MySky removeable panels... but the Maverick wins on interior room, far better power, better snow and slippery road handling, and it has a truck bed, and can tow 4,000 pounds!

We really like the Jeep. We really like the Maverick.

lurch70

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW 330xi, 2019 Volvo XC60
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These threads are a good learning experience. I am still in the "want" phase of my purchase and will probably wait until i can get one at MSRP at a dealer or eventually able to order a hybrid for 2023

But one thing I know no matter how I option it ... this is a $20k truck with additional options ... a $35k Lariat is a $20k truck with $15k options (which to me is crazy). .... so my expectations are inline with that.

I also hope that Ford make some things more standard on the XL even if they raise msrp a bit.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try paying $60K for a Tesla and not having doors aligned… $30K is still cheap for a new car anymore. You get what you pay for, unless it’s a Tesla. Won’t get a F-series platinum level build quality in a Maverick at any trim and won’t get the manufacturing precision of an S-Class with any Ford... I get the frustration honestly but that’s just how things are now.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.