First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not good at all, but I can relate. I would go thru insurance and have it fixed at a reputable shop. Talk with the shop what you want done and see if they can do it.

It MAY take some time, please read on...

On May 25, 2021 my daughter was hit by a texting driver. The woman crossed the center line, hit a vehicle head on then spun out of control ramming 5 other vehicles. All 4 lanes of traffic were closed for hours. My daughter's car was the last one she hit and it was a side impact on her driver's side door (looked like my daughter had been t-boned). Luckily she wasn't injured but she was shaken pretty bad as it was her FIRST day on the job at work (she was driving there).

I already had a body shop in mind and had the tow truck take it there. I called insurance and told them I would rather use them than the woman's who caused the accident (as is my right).

I was afraid they would total the car so I made plans to find another one. I looked all over from St. Louis to Tampa and only found 2 and they were priced higher than what we paid for hers in 2017. She did not want a different car, she wanted hers fixed so we stressed with the body shop that if it could be fixed then we wanted it fixed. Around a week later they assessed the damage and the body shop said they could fix it but that it would take some time to get parts. This is full pandemic mode so parts were stalled everywhere.

The first replacement door that arrived in July did not fit - she has a convertible and they sent a hardtop door. The body shop found another one in Washington state (we are in Florida). Then we had to get an inside door panel from Germany (VW). It arrived broken and they had to order another (they didn't lie, my wife happened to be there checking on the car when the part arrived and was there when they opened it to find the broken door panel). Air bag wire harnesses were on back order with no ETA.

By this time our 30 day rental had long run out and we were paying out of pocket for a rental.

Around Sept 16, 2021 her car was returned to us. That is a LONG wait for repairs - May until Sept!

The good news is insurance fully covered the damages and I had no deductible and my rates did not increase (since the accident wasn't my daughter's fault).

Just found a pic of her door, it looked like this:
IMG-20210525-123454047.jpg

So the point of my story is, if you really LIKE your Maverick get it fixed. I can see from the damage it is not near as bad as the damage to my daughter's car and if it were me I would want it fixed.

We are very thankful that it was repaired... My daughter loves this car and she was so happy to get it back (she did not know when she would get it back... That leads to another story on rentals.... Enterprise had no more cars and would not extend my current rental... I went to return the rental and it looked like they were closed - there was one vehicle there and it belonged to the guy who worked there. I returned the vehicle and wondered how I would get home. The body shop called while I was gathering my thoughts at Enterprise. They said it was ready and I told them it was good timing because I was stuck at Enterprise. They picked me up, took me back to the shop, told me to start it up, put the top down and then put it back up, leave it running, get out and make sure everything worked. It did so I called my wife and told her not to tell our daughter I was coming home with the car. When they saw me pull into the driveway they were so excited to get it back).

Daughter is extra cautious even now and never travels on that 4 lane road anymore (always accidents there).

Anyway, sorry to write a novel but that's my thoughts on the issue.
I really appreciate this. I'm gearing up for a long ride, and hearing this really gets me ready for it. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gabe06

Gabe06

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the only damage is the 2 doors on the drivers side then it is not totaled. If parts need to be ordered and you can drive it like it is I would have them order the parts and drive your Maverick until parts come it to fix it.
This would be ideal, however once it's pulled apart to access any additional damage or to make sure the estimate from the Insurance company covers the repair, you can't take the truck out of the shop. So at that point it's a waiting game, and won't be able to drive around until parts arrive or available.

MikeInFla

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2016 VW Passat, 2017 VW Beetle
Yeah, just be prepared to wait... We have 3 vehicles. My wife's car, my old Ranger and our daughter's car. Luckily when this happened school was out (wife is a teacher) so our daughter could use mom's car to get to work and summer classes as FSU. We were hoping it would get fixed before school started but it didn't. I asked insurance about a rental and was told only 30 days but I could break it up. There was a week in the summer we needed a rental, after 7 days I returned it and still had 23 days left. But once my wife started back to work at the school those 23 days ran out FAST and I was having to pay $400 a week for a rental.

So if you have a back up car, use it. If you need a rental make plans in advance (I don't know how rental companies are doing these days but they still might be out of cars). And if you do need a rental ask if you can break up the days like I did.

I have a feeling yours can be fixed much fast than mine because it looks like minimal damage but they will have to remove the indoor panel to make sure there is no damage on the inside of the door. If there is inside damage, those parts could take a while (controller for windows, locks, etc).

Last edited:

MikeInFla

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't take a check! You you play hell getting additional monies for hidden issues. No, I wouldn't drive it around like that.
Yes, this is VERY smart. At first the damage to ours was around $10,000 then they found more wrong and it ballooned to $17, and that would have been another 7K that I didn't have.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope, not totaled. It still looks drivable (as long as the doors open and close correctly), so I think it would be best to make an appt with a GOOD body shop to have it repaired and have them contact you when the parts are in to have it fixed. I had the same happen with my wife's Kia Soul recently. Their insurance would not cover the cost of a rental car because it was still drivable, but they did cover the rental when it went in for the repairs (it took almost 2 months for the sheet metal to come in).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gabe06

Gabe06

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nope, not totaled. It still looks drivable (as long as the doors open and close correctly), so I think it would be best to make an appt with a GOOD body shop to have it repaired and have them contact you when the parts are in to have it fixed. I had the same happen with my wife's Kia Soul recently. Their insurance would not cover the cost of a rental car because it was still drivable, but they did cover the rental when it went in for the repairs (it took almost 2 months for the sheet metal to come in).
Yeah, not worried about it being drivable, but getting around while.its at the shop.

MikeInFla

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you using your insurance or theirs? I prefer to use mine for anything that happens even if it is not my fault. I feel like they look out for me instead of someone else's insurance looking to cut a corner and save a buck. Could all be in my mind tho, but I've used mine 3 times for accidents which wasn't our fault instead of using the insurance of the person who caused the accidents.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In Florida you file through your own insurance company and they go after at fault company. How ever it works in your state do file for diminished value Ada brand new vehicle is now repaired. Don’t feel bad for their insurance company. They want to pay as little as possible.

Wilky4258

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Dodge Challenger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So here is the sad truth ladies and gentlemen, March 2, 2022 I was stuck by another vehicle. They had insurance, so I won't have to pay cor anything (hopefully). I do have a few concerns and would like your input.

My Maverick is 2022 XLT awd ecoboost. Added features include FX4, and sunroof. I tinted my windows, added db drive 10" substation (Amp and sub in one), and my blinkers from yellow to led white switchbacks. Nothing crazy custom but it's mine. Ordered July 10th 2021, delivered Oct 21st 2021, so I've had for a bit. Love it!! If any of you who happen to still waiting for yours I would love give you any feed back, but here are my co concerns about my situation.

1. If I do need replacement parts, would there be any parts available from Ford in order to get them??

2. Would you take a check from the insurance company and get it fixed at a mom & pop body shop?? Possibly pocketing any left over dinero?Dinero??

3. What are the chances of them just totalling it due to lack of available parts?? If so, would you go back and order another Maverick/buy something else?

4. Just leave it and drive it around as is??

Idk I have so many mixed emotions your opinions would definitely help. Thanks.

20220303_175118.jpg

20220302_163520.jpg

20220302_163513.jpg

20220302_163511.jpg

20220302_163457.jpg

20220302_155854.jpg
I would have it repaired by a collision company your Insurance Co is aligned with as they usually do the best work. This process has worked for me in the past. Should not cost you anything as your deductible will be covered by the other at fault drivers insurance.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So here is the sad truth ladies and gentlemen, March 2, 2022 I was stuck by another vehicle. They had insurance, so I won't have to pay cor anything (hopefully). I do have a few concerns and would like your input.

My Maverick is 2022 XLT awd ecoboost. Added features include FX4, and sunroof. I tinted my windows, added db drive 10" substation (Amp and sub in one), and my blinkers from yellow to led white switchbacks. Nothing crazy custom but it's mine. Ordered July 10th 2021, delivered Oct 21st 2021, so I've had for a bit. Love it!! If any of you who happen to still waiting for yours I would love give you any feed back, but here are my co concerns about my situation.

1. If I do need replacement parts, would there be any parts available from Ford in order to get them??

2. Would you take a check from the insurance company and get it fixed at a mom & pop body shop?? Possibly pocketing any left over dinero?Dinero??

3. What are the chances of them just totalling it due to lack of available parts?? If so, would you go back and order another Maverick/buy something else?

20220303_175118.jpg

20220302_163520.jpg

20220302_163513.jpg

20220302_163511.jpg

20220302_163457.jpg

20220302_155854.jpg
Darn GM drivers
Sorry to see this little guy banged up.

Sponsored

HD676

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley, 2007 Shelby GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would try a local college that does body work. It would be good training for the students and by the pictures, looks like the panels can be beaten back in place.
And your repair will look like it was completed by inexperienced college students who beat the dents out with a hammer.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

20220303_175118.jpg

20220302_163520.jpg

20220302_163513.jpg

20220302_163511.jpg

20220302_163457.jpg

20220302_155854.jpg

[/QUOTE
Hate when things like this happens….suggest going to Ford dealership for repair…they have a better shot of getting parts than anyone else….when truck is not drivable, the op insurance should pay for loss of use (rental). Doubt there is an opportunity of making bucks on this one….glad you were not hurt

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

20220303_175118.jpg

20220302_163520.jpg

20220302_163513.jpg

20220302_163511.jpg

20220302_163457.jpg

20220302_155854.jpg
Take the repair.
Go to a reputable shop. Don't be cheap and pay the consequences later.
Let them order the parts and while you wait, drive it around the way it is.

You won't get another Maverick until at least November if you order a 23. You will pay more for a 23. You won't be able to just go pick up a new whatever you want elsewhere as there are still a lot of empty dealership lots and all the used vehicles are 20K for a car 75,000+ miles.

Fastbackjon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0, 18 Flex, 20 Edge, 21 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At this stage of production of the Maverick, parts are a commodity and I would not take it anywhere but to an (A+, top notch) body shop who will quote factory supplied parts only, and highly recommend finding out what ever Ford dealer around you has the best body shop. The parts need to be new Ford parts and the other persons insurance company will force the issue on where to take it etc..... and will want to settle with a check. Say no way for sure. I had a 2 week old Taurus that my wife was hit by someone and I fought tooth and nail with the other insurance company for new Ford parts and my choice of the body shop to repair it. No 3 estimates etc.... that is BS if you are the one hit. I settled for nothing else. Finally gave them my insurance agents name and contact and said their lawyers can fight it out. I soon had an appointment, a rental and new Ford parts being painted and put on So, stick by your guns.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do not take a check…. Absolutely do not try and make this a money making experience… go to a reputable auto body shop….. don’t go driving it. As for totaling the truck, get you full value, check with body shop, costs etc…. Then buy it from insurance company and get it fixed right, use it or sell it. As for should you buy another Maverick….. if you weren’t happy with this one, why did you keep it?🤪
Also, depending on your state laws around it, push for diminished value since it's harder to sell a vehicle that has been in a crash and buyers rightfully will not be willing to pay as much for it.

My understanding is you need to pursue that after the damage has been repaired, so if you forgo the repairs, then you probably forgo a DV claim.
Sponsored