Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Would you rather make 5% margin or 15% margin even though you sell half as much?
But manufacturers set the MSRP, so no matter what you pay, or what the dealer charges, the price the Manufacturers charge is the price they get. If the manufacturers want 5% or 25% they just charge more. Just look at what Ford did to almost every vehicle they makeā€¦ they raised prices by thousands.
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No one said there were rebates widely available on any car currently, but thatā€™s the point. Theyā€™re going to manage inventory in the future so they donā€™t have to put so much cash on the hood to sell the cars.

It is what it is. MSRP will be the new normal for most cars, I would think. Certainly the days when you could get $5-10k off sticker on models is certainly over, I would think.

Manufacturers want to meet demand, but the excess supply we were all used to is a thing of the past.
Yep. Incentives are being withered away or retired altogether.

At the end of last year, one could get up to $1800 off an Escape, another $1k for putting in an order and waiting for it.

Interest rates were 0% 36 mo, 0.9% 48, 1.9% 60, etc.

At the same time, 2021 Escapes could be had at 0% for 60 months.

Now youā€™re lucky to get 2.9% for 60 months, the retail order bonus cash is reduced, and is likely to exclude hybrids once those order banks reopen (like they did by excluding Maverick Hybrid from the promo rates).

Meanwhile, MSRP continues to climb.

Not sure when itā€™s going to end but this isnā€™t sustainable much longer.

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That makes no sense for a car manufacturer. They set the MSRP, so keeping inventory low only helps the dealer make more money. Manufacturers make money on volume sold, not inventory.
There are many costs manufacturers bear for selling through a dealership. Floor plan costs and building subsidies are some of the big ones.

Jim Farley says it costs Ford $2-$3k per car to sell through a dealer, which is something he would like to eliminate through direct online sales.

In his new model, existing dealers would get a delivery prep fee, then make most of their money on warranty and service. The dealer benefits by saving on sales staff, balloons and checked sports coatsā€¦

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's not true. They receive all the rebates from the manufacturer and they have hold back if they sell the car in a timely fashion vs sitting on the lot for months. Plus the get kickbacks from the banks they use to finance most of the customers.
The kickbacks & rebates (which are dwindling) are similar to oil changes & such. Theyā€™re extraneous and not guaranteed. If I pay cash, no kickback from a lender. If I change my own oil, no money for the dealership. Hold back will be a thing of the past if demand continues to exceed supply.

My main point was that they donā€™t make a lot of money on the car itself. Theyā€™ve come up with other revenue streams.

Droid82

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The kickbacks & rebates (which are dwindling) are similar to oil changes & such. Theyā€™re extraneous and not guaranteed. If I pay cash, no kickback from a lender. If I change my own oil, no money for the dealership. Hold back will be a thing of the past if demand continues to exceed supply.

My main point was that they donā€™t make a lot of money on the car itself. Theyā€™ve come up with other revenue streams.
I realize that was the old system but that's what is was before covid hit.

Sponsored

SR-71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
CNBC reports today that Carmax did not meet Q2 earnings expectations. The stock is down 23.3% today (insert crocodile tears here).

Guess they won't be offering up $10K over MSRP on Mavericks anymore. Maybe that will give the rest of us a fair chance to buy one at/near MSRP ordered through an actual Ford dealership.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You act like Carmax didnā€™t pay handsomely for both of those Mavs. Blame the used Maverick market.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
CNBC reports today that Carmax did not meet Q2 earnings expectations. The stock is down 23.3% today (insert crocodile tears here).

Guess they won't be offering up $10K over MSRP on Mavericks anymore. Maybe that will give the rest of us a fair chance to buy one at/near MSRP ordered through an actual Ford dealership.
You think theyā€™re going to drop the prices on the Mavericks now because of this report? LOL

Let me know how that works out for you.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How much can I get now for XLT?

SR-71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Carmax has greedily supported the inflation bubble for vehicles, and I for one am glad that they are now paying a huge price for it.

Y'all can flame me if you want, but I think it's way past time for our country to make a big reduction in inflation, and greed is not a sustainable long-term strategy.

I think by the time most of our Maverick's ordered by MTC members are delivered, MSRP will be considered a win-win for both customers and dealerships.

Sponsored

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

SR71 said, "Y'all can flame me if you want, but I think it's way past time for our country to make a big reduction in inflation, and greed is not a sustainable long-term strategy."

Inflation and greed have been with us since the beginning of time. Good Luck.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Carmax has greedily supported the inflation bubble for vehicles, and I for one am glad that they are now paying a huge price for it.

Y'all can flame me if you want, but I think it's way past time for our country to make a big reduction in inflation, and greed is not a sustainable long-term strategy.

I think by the time most of our Maverick's ordered by MTC members are delivered, MSRP will be considered a win-win for both customers and dealerships.
I agree with you that something should be done about the inflation issue, but this extends way beyond just cars. We're in for a world of hurt for a while. Hang tight if you can.
Sponsored