Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One way or another I'm installing a dashcam for insurance purposes and to have a rear view of my bed while hauling stuff. I was initially thinking a cheap solution like I've had for 10 years on the previous vehicle.
Cheap rear view: https://a.co/d/2zKJCFS

After doing a little research I uncovered a two dashcams that have impressive night vision.

AKEEYO NV-X: https://a.co/d/aecCyLT

LANMODO Vast Pro Dash Cam: https://a.co/d/11LtGqT

Both at about $300 they are easily $250 more than the cheap option. My question is, do any of you find the impressive night vision worth that premium? Am I just falling for the tech coolness without a worthy real world benefit?

My main goals are met by any front/rear cam. Justification for the extra would be just for additional night awareness.
- Spotting deer off on the sides of the road in advance
- Those rain glare nights where oncoming headlights can really affect your view
- Any other visibility compromising situations
- Before it becomes a spin off topic, no, I don't plan to drive with this thing as my primary vision in any scenario. Just to use it like a mirror, glancing over as an additional visual aid.
Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't see anything wrong with cool for cool sake, but I'm a tech lover. If you do get one of these, I would love to read your review after a few months (I already read the reviews on Amazon).

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I doubt you would ever watch a dash cam to see a deer at night. The cam pics you linked to were nighttime/dusk street lit and photoshopped as you don't get those nighttime star shots from a single frame. Also that's not where/when deer hang out. Here's a night country shot from my cheaper 70mai that was well under $100 ($59 on sale).
Ford Maverick Night vision dashcam, is it worth it? night

and a coming into in town shot (shots reduced 50% in size for posting here)
Ford Maverick Night vision dashcam, is it worth it? night2

Dusk:
Ford Maverick Night vision dashcam, is it worth it? night dusk

Front dash cam:
Ford Maverick Night vision dashcam, is it worth it? mirror dash cam

Last edited:

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone should have one, both front and rear facing. I doubt it will provide any additional vision aid, better to keep your eyes on the road ahead. A dash cam will provide great value if you're involved in an accident that is not your fault or in question, providing you're not doing anything wrong. Vehicle speed and lane position is what counts so even a "cheap" system will provide that. I was hit driving on highway and proved no fault of mine.

Automan21

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Subaru WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah idt anyone would stay watching a night vision dash cam while driving. Also $300 for a dash cam is a bit high. Id go with a $80-$100 dash cam with rear cam. But hey to each his own, let us know how well it works.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I do commercial physical security and am very familiar with high end cameras.

infrared night vision is spoiled by white light. it's also greyscale so if you want to see something well, white light and visible spectrum is highly superior. consumer grade infrared cameras typically have a small infrared light with limited range and they see relatively well when infrared is actually lighting the subject but they are not good if it's out of range.

cameras do exist that can image infrared and visible light at the same time and build a composite image that gives you the best of both for any given light condition.

sorry for the long explanation but all that was to say this dash camera linked is not a good one. 😄 stick to the name brands and pretty much any vehicle that hits you or is otherwise interesting is going to have headlights which makes infrared useless or near it. same goes for the front camera.

OP
OP

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the input, I think you all are coarse correcting me that my original instinct for normal recording and view of the bed are where to go. Save a good chunk of cash while at it.

I should have provided this link for example of the Akeeyo starvis night mode (lanmodo is similar). It's not your normal IR or WDR night vis. It's impressive, but expensive. Maybe in a couple years they'll all be that good.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah idt anyone would stay watching a night vision dash cam while driving. Also $300 for a dash cam is a bit high. Id go with a $80-$100 dash cam with rear cam. But hey to each his own, let us know how well it works.
Agreed, do not use the dash camera while driving, that's just dangerous!

As for price, as with most things you get what you pay for. Cheap cameras, with some you wont be able to read the plates of vehicles in the video due to poor image resolution and low frame rates captured. $100 cams don't handle high heat very well, while the more expensive cameras use higher quality components that are rated for over 100°F. Cheap cameras don't tend to do very well in the dark, which is fine if you do not drive at night. If you need high quality night footage, Sony Starvis sensor equipped cameras are the best.

ejgroth2620

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One way or another I'm installing a dashcam for insurance purposes and to have a rear view of my bed while hauling stuff. I was initially thinking a cheap solution like I've had for 10 years on the previous vehicle.
Cheap rear view: https://a.co/d/2zKJCFS

After doing a little research I uncovered a two dashcams that have impressive night vision.

AKEEYO NV-X: https://a.co/d/aecCyLT

LANMODO Vast Pro Dash Cam: https://a.co/d/11LtGqT

Both at about $300 they are easily $250 more than the cheap option. My question is, do any of you find the impressive night vision worth that premium? Am I just falling for the tech coolness without a worthy real world benefit?

My main goals are met by any front/rear cam. Justification for the extra would be just for additional night awareness.
- Spotting deer off on the sides of the road in advance
- Those rain glare nights where oncoming headlights can really affect your view
- Any other visibility compromising situations
- Before it becomes a spin off topic, no, I don't plan to drive with this thing as my primary vision in any scenario. Just to use it like a mirror, glancing over as an additional visual aid.
I purchased a Rexing R4 because I wanted side views in case of a traffic stop or (God forbid) a carjacking. Also, having a unit with motion detection might help in catching a perp in case of vandalism or a parking lot ding.

EdgeTK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid