First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd wager that mid-Michigan doesn't have steep hills, backroads and driveways. Even here in the Virginia Blue Ridge, if I try to go a simple, small Virginia Ski Area, I could easily slide off the steep road if I follow GPS directions. Did I mention the word steep? It only takes one time of sliding off the road to find out.

I agree, take away gravity and all of a sudden snow tires aren't so important. Also, if you take away winter sports you don't need snow tires outside the mountains.

I'll post mine when they get mounted up. Michelin X-ICE or bust...
Don’t laugh but we have ski resorts here in the Midwest. Odd how the last glaciers left a mess of gouges in the earth all over, especially on the Mississippi River valley. Snow tires work best even on level roads. The lateral forces attained by thrust and change of directions, dictate the need for optimum traction. That’s why guys who drift cars do not use snow tires, (on dry pavement) it ruins all their fun.
Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had nothing but a positive experience with the Wildpeaks in both the Trail form and the AT3W's. I'm sure you can get at least 20-30k more from them.
For sure. Based on how they look at 20K, 60K should be easily attainable.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Michelin CrossClimate 2 225/65R17 on factory XLT wheels. I will keep these on year round.

mav tires.jpg

1500 miles on them so far!
Those may be my next ones. I'd go 235/65/18 for 30" tall height.

Senior Master Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Ranger, 04 and 18 Escape, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, what you're saying is that "Snow" tires are better in snow than tires designed to be at their best in nice warm dirt? Woah, imagine that. We're currently saying that rubber compound and specific tread design trumps big knobs? Who could have known? Next, you'll be telling me snow tires aren't as good as all terrain tires in soft dry dirt.
BTW, racing slicks aren't as good in the rain as all season tires for some reason....😂

Sponsored

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Those may be my next ones. I'd go 235/65/18 for 30" tall height.
Funny - because when I look up the vehicle through the local tire shop online the size does come up as 235/65R17 but I wanted to stay at 225. I have always had better luck with narrower tires in snow/ice/rain and I wanted to make as little MPG sacrifice as possible. So far it looks like about ~5%, but hard to tell with dropping local temps and different driving habits recently.

Do you have you sights set on a different set of 18” wheels to replace the steelies?

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Funny - because when I look up the vehicle through the local tire shop online the size does come up as 235/65R17 but I wanted to stay at 225. I have always had better luck with narrower tires in snow/ice/rain and I wanted to make as little MPG sacrifice as possible. So far it looks like about ~5%, but hard to tell with dropping local temps and different driving habits recently.

Do you have you sights set on a different set of 18” wheels to replace the steelies?
I already replaced my steelies. The 18" Bronco Sport wheels came with snows ready to go. A little too low profile for my taste, but will use them this winter.

Ford Maverick New winter wheels and tires installed. Post yours up! 20230910_130406

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I already replaced my steelies. The 18" Bronco Sport wheels came with snows ready to go. A little too low profile for my taste, but will use the this winter.

20230910_130406.jpg
Those wheels look awesome with the blue. I also see now why you want to go with a taller tire - it really does make a difference going to 18” - it is a little too low profile for my taste as well but like you said, ready to go!

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I already replaced my steelies. The 18" Bronco Sport wheels came with snows ready to go. A little too low profile for my taste, but will use them this winter.

20230910_130406.jpg
Damn Lloyd, that is one fine looking Ranger! :poop:

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our Maverick will stay in the garage for most of the winter on the stock Continentals. We only need one car and have Blizzaks on our jetta. For those who have survived without snow tires, I made it through my first 5 winters in the Utah mountains on all-seasons, but as soon as I tried snow tires there was no going back. The difference will shock you.

Sponsored

jpdurr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where did you get the Steelies, what specific size are they, and how much did each one cost????

I'm actually having trouble finding them at a reasonable price.

which07

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
CW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX60
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where did you get the Steelies, what specific size are they, and how much did each one cost????

I'm actually having trouble finding them at a reasonable price.
Tirerack.com - last year, Nov. 2022

Ford Maverick New winter wheels and tires installed. Post yours up! 1697894588291

jpdurr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tirerack.com - last year, Nov. 2022

1697894588291.png
Thanks for sharing that with us! Surprised how "expensive" the Steel Wheels were. I can get entry level Aluminum Rims for that price when they're on sale. I was hoping (but lost faith) to find New Steel Wheels for under $100. I guess if I had the time and patience, I might be able to go to an Auto Scrap yard and find 4 Rims (Steel or aluminum) for about $30 Each, but then the quality and mounted tire condition is a bit of a risk / mystery....

You did get a GREAT PRICE on the Tires & Pressure Sensors!

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Michelin CrossClimate 2 225/65R17 on factory XLT wheels. I will keep these on year round.

mav tires.jpg

1500 miles on them so far!
I just had my father install them on his Escape. He loves them and couldn't get over how well they perform in the rain. This will be his first winter not using the all-season OEMs.
Sponsored