OP
OP
Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Apparently the "rear defrost" never materialized in any trim at any cost. I don't think it would be necessary.

Also things like curtain airbags, stability control, rear camera, TPMS, ABS - all of these are federally mandated and are on all new cars. That's why it's hardly worth mentioning.
Thanks for that info! I didn't realize stability control was federally required. A quick Google search and I learned it's been required since 2011 - for ten years.

I do think manufacturers should list these safety features, required or not. How many consumers are aware of this? Probably not many.

Same goes for things like the Ford 2.5 hybrid engine -- does it have four valves per cylinder or two? Does it have overhead cam? If so, single or dual? Ford doesn't say a word about this and it's the kind of detail I like to know. Strangely, Ford does emphasize that the 2.5 hybrid engine is an "Atkinson Cycle" engine. Who the hell knows what that is? I had to Google it, and when it comes to cars and engines I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable. :rolleyes:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate this review and your honest opinion. My main concern has always been road noise, so I'll definitely have to go drive it and make sure I compare that to my Jeep. You reviewing the Lariat is key for me, since that's what I ordered.
Thanks for the kind words. Some people have mentioned engine noise which I did not address. I did not find the 2.0 engine to be too noisy, even under full throttle acceleration. It was about the same as the 2.0 Escape Titanium. As for the road noise, it is possible some of that is related to the tires and tread pattern, though the factory installed Michelins seemed to be "car tires" and not the kind of tires that are super noisy like some of those giant "knobbies" you see on customized trucks. Those tires are so loud you can here the truck from quite a distance even with your windows up.

Also, road noise depends on the pavement. Concrete is way noisier than asphalt, and new asphalt is much quieter than old asphalt. I drove the Maverick on a little bit of everything. You can hear the road/tires much more so than the engine. Keep in mind that this road noise is only really noticeable at freeway speeds, which I didn't mention. I have a decibel app on my phone so I'll have to try that next time to compare it to my Edge, which is very quiet except for road noise on concrete which is kind of loud. I didn't think to try the app before.

Last edited:

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I could see the road noise being worst than some other cars for sure. I think road noise is all relative to what you are accustomed to. I'll probably think it's great but someone else jumping in a Maverick from a newer more luxurious vehicle might not think the same.
Under the hood blanket will do the trick
one of the parts Ford skimped on.

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dr. Evil, I'm curious, did it, or did it not have some frickin' laser beams mounted on the hood?

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
Thank you for the review, it is much appreciated to hear others' feelings about the Maverick!

I test drove an FX4 Lariat 2 weeks ago and was quite surprised with how quiet I felt the interior was when compared to everything else that I drive(in full disclosure- I am mostly deaf in my left ear and this does have an effect, especially with sounds from the left side.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed a lot more engine noise under acceleration than tire noise and I am pretty particular about that... Drove a Lariat with the Acoustic windshield and the XLT without, the engine was less noisy in the Lariat but both seemed quite'ish to me @ 80 mph
Yes -- and Ford does not put any insulation on the underside of the hood on either the Maverick or Bronco Sport. My Edge has it and now I'm curious and need to look at new Edge's, Explorers, etc to see if they still have insulation under the hood or not.

I have noticed that Ford has now stopped putting those plastic/foamy engine covers on a bunch of new models, including the Maverick. Instead, you see all the plumbing the covers conceal and it looks a little busy. I doubt those covers have any impact on engine noise though, I think its just a window dressing thing and some bean counter in Dearborn decided eliminating it would be a great way to save a buck.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I could see the road noise being worst than some other cars for sure. I think road noise is all relative to what you are accustomed to. I'll probably think it's great but someone else jumping in a Maverick from a newer more luxurious vehicle might not think the same.
And someone coming from a Miata might be disturbed that they can finally hear their own thoughts.
I was about to post a question asking if he had access to a decibel reading app. It is all relative, based on our individual comfort level and I guess road/tire quality has something to do with it, as well. I downloaded a sound level app, and it registered at 68-72 on my Grand Cherokee, so I"m curious to see what it reads in the Mav. I think it is a different app than what you mentioned, though.

Thank you for the input.
Subjective might even be better. The worst NVH like rattles and squeaks sometimes don't show up high on a dba scale, while a soothing rumbling V8 bass sound might even though that wouldn't bother me.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks but I'm not so sure about that - at least using Ford parts. I checked with the Ford parts dept and the visor for the Maverick is around $200!! and does not include the Homelink because it's not offered on the Maverick.

I asked and it does not appear the Maverick uses a visor common to other models that do offer Homelink. I also asked whether the Homelink unit with the 3 buttons in the visor is the entire thing or whether there's some kind of transmitter box located somewhere else in Fords that do have Homelink. I really didn't get a straight answer on that other than they don't "think" there's anything else. Also, even if the whole thing is contained in the visor, it needs power and I don't know if you could tap into the power used by the vanity mirror light or whether the connector for the visor is the same with and without Homelink.

Perhaps there is some aftermarket Homelink visor mod available, I have no idea. Can you shed some light about adding it to the F-150 as you mentioned?
I have never installed one. A F150 owner bought a homelink on eBay was not $200. Installed tight behind storage for sunglasses. Guess there is power there.

I think if sun roof on Maverick you are out of luck.

Vitamin G

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes -- and Ford does not put any insulation on the underside of the hood on either the Maverick or Bronco Sport. My Edge has it and now I'm curious and need to look at new Edge's, Explorers, etc to see if they still have insulation under the hood or not.

I have noticed that Ford has now stopped putting those plastic/foamy engine covers on a bunch of new models, including the Maverick. Instead, you see all the plumbing the covers conceal and it looks a little busy. I doubt those covers have any impact on engine noise though, I think its just a window dressing thing and some bean counter in Dearborn decided eliminating it would be a great way to save a buck.
I've never seen a point of all the plastic covering everything. If it serves a function I'm okay with it but if it is just window dressing I say don't include. Make the truck cheaper and it'll be one less thing blocking your view and makes all things more accessible.

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I will say usually truck rear windows defrosters are not as needed as say a car with a hatchback window or any window that's not vertical like rear truck windows are. Plus if you drive the Maverick for even a short amount of time and have the heater on. Those windows should defrost fairly quickly.
Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I’ve been driving an F150 without it and had never even given it a second thought. I am in southern KY so not way up north nor way down south. It snows and ices a few times a year, but it’s never been an issue. Just saying. TMO anyway.
Thanks for the reply.

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks but I'm not so sure about that - at least using Ford parts. I checked with the Ford parts dept and the visor for the Maverick is around $200!! and does not include the Homelink because it's not offered on the Maverick.

I asked and it does not appear the Maverick uses a visor common to other models that do offer Homelink. I also asked whether the Homelink unit with the 3 buttons in the visor is the entire thing or whether there's some kind of transmitter box located somewhere else in Fords that do have Homelink. I really didn't get a straight answer on that other than they don't "think" there's anything else. Also, even if the whole thing is contained in the visor, it needs power and I don't know if you could tap into the power used by the vanity mirror light or whether the connector for the visor is the same with and without Homelink.

Perhaps there is some aftermarket Homelink visor mod available, I have no idea. Can you shed some light about adding it to the F-150 as you mentioned?
The visor should be the same as the Escape or Bronco Sport. The question night be more about getting power there. Probably easier if you have lighted vanity mirrors already.

For my past 3 cars (’11 Mustang, ‘17 Fusion, ‘20 Esacpe) I have a gone a different route. And would be my plan for a Mav. I get a home link transmitter off eBay (one that has been seems ripped out of a visor), then mount it somewhere in the console. The main part behind a panel, the button cover hides any drilled holes. For power, just splice in to the 12v plugs power. My wife actually likes this better in her Escape, than the visor mount in her previous Escape.

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

. As for the road noise, it is possible some of that is related to the tires and tread pattern, though the factory installed Michelins seemed to be "car tires" and not the kind of tires that are super noisy like some of those giant "knobbies" you see on customized trucks. Those tires are so loud you can here the truck from quite a distance even with your windows up.
The Michelins on the Lux are the same as the ones on wife’s 20 Escape. I like them just fine. Was happy the Mav has the same.
The XLT I drove last weekend had FX4, I could tell those are noisier than the Michelins.

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Our 2.0 ‘20 Escape has both (under hood insulation & engine cover).

I already looked closely at the cover. There is one post needed (just screws in) and the cover will pop right on.

The under neath of the hood, is different, since the tappers somewhat on the Escape, while the Mav is square. I didn’t do a side-by-side yet, to see if the underneath structure is close enough or not.

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OEM hitch receiver is welded on, not bolted? Wow. I'm very impressed by that.
Sponsored