Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hello! Recently, catalytic converter theft has been on the rise across the area where I live, work, and travel. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for how to protect the catalytic converter / exhaust system from theft, or at least discourage people from taking a hacksaw to the exhaust, for less than $500.

I want to say right off the bat that I am aware the Hybrid Maverick's catalytic converter is mated to the engine exhaust manifold inside of the engine bay. The thief who used a hacksaw to cut the section of exhaust off of my truck between the catalytic converter flange and auxiliary heater, however, was not aware of this, and made off with what I assume was a resonator chamber. LOL.

I learned several things from this partial theft:
1) Thieves are not always smart
2) Dumb thieves can still cause a lot of damage
3) The exhaust from the catalytic converter flange to the rear of the truck is a single welded pipe that has to be completely replaced, meaning my dealership will need to order a full new exhaust assembly, which is going to take a few weeks to ship and arrive, meaning my truck will not be driveable for a few weeks.

It feels silly to want to protect an exhaust resonator and $50 worth of exhaust piping, but I would like to discourage catalytic converter thieves from attempting this coup on my car's equipment again. My auto insurance has been fantastic to work with, but I would hate to spend my deductible again any time soon, if you know what I mean! 💰💰💰

Thanks (y)
Sponsored

Rew409

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hello! Recently, catalytic converter theft has been on the rise across the area where I live, work, and travel. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for how to protect the catalytic converter / exhaust system from theft, or at least discourage people from taking a hacksaw to the exhaust, for less than $500.

I want to say right off the bat that I am aware the Hybrid Maverick's catalytic converter is mated to the engine exhaust manifold inside of the engine bay. The thief who used a hacksaw to cut the section of exhaust off of my truck between the catalytic converter flange and auxiliary heater, however, was not aware of this, and made off with what I assume was a resonator chamber. LOL.

I learned several things from this partial theft:
1) Thieves are not always smart
2) Dumb thieves can still cause a lot of damage
3) The exhaust from the catalytic converter flange to the rear of the truck is a single welded pipe that has to be completely replaced, meaning my dealership will need to order a full new exhaust assembly, which is going to take a few weeks to ship and arrive, meaning my truck will not be driveable for a few weeks.

It feels silly to want to protect an exhaust resonator and $50 worth of exhaust piping, but I would like to discourage catalytic converter thieves from attempting this coup on my car's equipment again. My auto insurance has been fantastic to work with, but I would hate to spend my deductible again any time soon, if you know what I mean! 💰💰💰

Thanks (y)
Any way of installing a panel that somehow locks or takes something out of the ordinary to remove it ? Not 3/8 bolts , maybe torqx screws with the post in the middle ? I’m an old helicopter mechanic but safety wire would slow them down . Anything to slow down the theft , subtracts from their profit . Make them bring their whole tool box that will discourage them a bunch !

Last edited:

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The cat is in the engine bay on the back of the engine on this vehicle. No way to steal it unless they open the hood and unbolt it

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The cat is in the engine bay on the back of the engine on this vehicle. No way to steal it unless they open the hood and unbolt it
Theives aren't smart. I think this thread is looking for ways to protect the resonator (because it looks like a cat)

I'm also planning on installing something as we have had an increase in resonator thefts recently in my area.

Sponsored

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
BankableWhee

BankableWhee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry for not posting a photo earlier! Here is where they cut out the resonator. The thief made a single cut and then ripped the other side out of the flange clamp.

Ford Maverick My Exhaust was Stolen off of my Hybrid. 20220708_120459956_iOS

Would something like an under-body shield or skid plate protect this area of the exhaust? I am not familiar with what the fx4 skid plate looks like, or if there are any aftermarket skid plates or shields available for the Maverick.

Gr8Mustang

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Digger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux w/360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After seeing that picture I would run a straight pipe thru there and not worry about it any more.
The Cat is protected in the engine bay and if there resonator is gone then there is nothing for theives to target

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry this happened. At least he won't be trying to steal your cat again.

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe word will get around in the thief world, don't waste your time on a Maverick this is not a converter.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah just make a smooth bottom belly pan. All the way between the front and rear suspension. Use some expansion nuts in the chassis and the damn torx head with the lil pin in the middle screws. Just use like 20 of em and use 2 or 3 different sizes. That'll teach em to bring the whole tool set.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe word will get around in the thief world, don't waste your time on a Maverick this is not a converter.
Never underestimate how stupid these crackheads are.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
total bummer to see ones property be molested like that especially the Mav. Hope you will get it restored as you see fit.

If thieves were smart, then thieving would not be their first line of work

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m not 100% sure, but I think these trucks have two cats. The first one up beside the firewall is the main unit and the one with the O2 sensor. The one located just under the track is a secondary unit, I think.

Perhaps @Buschur might chime in to clarify.
Sponsored