First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I could be mistaken, but I’m guessing that nobody in a thread about a thief stealing parts off a hybrid exhaust really cares whether you have “road” in a hybrid.
I was asked a question and that was my answer, don't like it? Move along.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BankableWhee

BankableWhee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No clue, never seen, been in, road, driven or had any interest in a hybrid:)
@Buschur , thank you for your response! If I had your level of skill in building awesome performance vehicles, I would probably not be driving a hybrid either! :D At the very least for the EB Maverick, glad to hear that the truck would still be able to perform well without the secondary cat.

Sponsored

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello! Recently, catalytic converter theft has been on the rise across the area where I live, work, and travel. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for how to protect the catalytic converter / exhaust system from theft, or at least discourage people from taking a hacksaw to the exhaust, for less than $500.

I want to say right off the bat that I am aware the Hybrid Maverick's catalytic converter is mated to the engine exhaust manifold inside of the engine bay. The thief who used a hacksaw to cut the section of exhaust off of my truck between the catalytic converter flange and auxiliary heater, however, was not aware of this, and made off with what I assume was a resonator chamber. LOL.

I learned several things from this partial theft:
1) Thieves are not always smart
2) Dumb thieves can still cause a lot of damage
3) The exhaust from the catalytic converter flange to the rear of the truck is a single welded pipe that has to be completely replaced, meaning my dealership will need to order a full new exhaust assembly, which is going to take a few weeks to ship and arrive, meaning my truck will not be driveable for a few weeks.

It feels silly to want to protect an exhaust resonator and $50 worth of exhaust piping, but I would like to discourage catalytic converter thieves from attempting this coup on my car's equipment again. My auto insurance has been fantastic to work with, but I would hate to spend my deductible again any time soon, if you know what I mean! 💰💰💰

Thanks (y)
Where are you? Also, see the eco hippies slashing tires on trucks and Suvs too? Need a camera and a 9 in the new utopia.

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Put some kind of heat resistant signage on it that reads “Hey stupid, this is not a catalytic converter”. 😀

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not 100% sure, but I think these trucks have two cats. The first one up beside the firewall is the main unit and the one with the O2 sensor. The one located just under the track is a secondary unit, I think.

Perhaps @Buschur might chime in to clarify.
Two cats, but part of the same assembly with the manifold. $3k for a new one 😲!

Ford Maverick My Exhaust was Stolen off of my Hybrid. MAV_Ex

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Give it another couple years, all cars and trucks will come with full body length protective plates, to keep the numb nuts out. Enough insurance payouts for these things and they're gonna lean hard on the manufacturers.

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Two cats, but part of the same assembly with the manifold. $3k for a new one 😲!

MAV_Ex.jpg
I'm guessing he's missing just the one with the yellow square next to it.

Sponsored

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm guessing he's missing just the one with the yellow square next to it.
Hopefully, but if that flange is damaged then the cat assembly will be needed as well!

Matso

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently spoke with service at my local dealership about this very issue. I asked him how many cat converters on the Mav. He wasn't really sure if it was just one or possibly two. The schematics were not very clear apparently. But, he did say the one for sure is located in a tight spot up front not easily accessible so that's good news I guess. I then asked about any deterrent solutions they were offering concerning these converter thefts and he said no. I'm not surprised but I thought it was worth the inquiry. Some folks are installing custom "cages" around the converter he said.
But if a Ford service department doesn't know exactly how many converters there are, you can't expect a desperate thief to. So it's likely to turn into a hack job.

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While running an independent repair shop many years ago a "stupid" thief broke inside one night and stole many radios from dashes. I say "stupid" because his wallet was found in one of the cars. Police arrested the guy and charged him with theft, boss wanted to "hire" him, thief was apparently willing to work late hours for little or no pay. Can't say for no "benefits', he did get a place to stay, fed three meals and got more sex than he wanted.
Sponsored