First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello! Recently, catalytic converter theft has been on the rise across the area where I live, work, and travel. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for how to protect the catalytic converter / exhaust system from theft, or at least discourage people from taking a hacksaw to the exhaust, for less than $500.

I want to say right off the bat that I am aware the Hybrid Maverick's catalytic converter is mated to the engine exhaust manifold inside of the engine bay. The thief who used a hacksaw to cut the section of exhaust off of my truck between the catalytic converter flange and auxiliary heater, however, was not aware of this, and made off with what I assume was a resonator chamber. LOL.

I learned several things from this partial theft:
1) Thieves are not always smart
2) Dumb thieves can still cause a lot of damage
3) The exhaust from the catalytic converter flange to the rear of the truck is a single welded pipe that has to be completely replaced, meaning my dealership will need to order a full new exhaust assembly, which is going to take a few weeks to ship and arrive, meaning my truck will not be driveable for a few weeks.

It feels silly to want to protect an exhaust resonator and $50 worth of exhaust piping, but I would like to discourage catalytic converter thieves from attempting this coup on my car's equipment again. My auto insurance has been fantastic to work with, but I would hate to spend my deductible again any time soon, if you know what I mean! πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°

Thanks (y)
#1. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the stupid theif learned their lesson.

#2. Can you please post a video of what it sounds like? πŸ˜±πŸ˜πŸ€£πŸ€”πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
Sponsored

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello! Recently, catalytic converter theft has been on the rise across the area where I live, work, and travel. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for how to protect the catalytic converter / exhaust system from theft, or at least discourage people from taking a hacksaw to the exhaust, for less than $500.

I want to say right off the bat that I am aware the Hybrid Maverick's catalytic converter is mated to the engine exhaust manifold inside of the engine bay. The thief who used a hacksaw to cut the section of exhaust off of my truck between the catalytic converter flange and auxiliary heater, however, was not aware of this, and made off with what I assume was a resonator chamber. LOL.

I learned several things from this partial theft:
1) Thieves are not always smart
2) Dumb thieves can still cause a lot of damage
3) The exhaust from the catalytic converter flange to the rear of the truck is a single welded pipe that has to be completely replaced, meaning my dealership will need to order a full new exhaust assembly, which is going to take a few weeks to ship and arrive, meaning my truck will not be driveable for a few weeks.

It feels silly to want to protect an exhaust resonator and $50 worth of exhaust piping, but I would like to discourage catalytic converter thieves from attempting this coup on my car's equipment again. My auto insurance has been fantastic to work with, but I would hate to spend my deductible again any time soon, if you know what I mean! πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°

Thanks (y)
We have a local exhaust shop that is making cages for Cats. I'd call around and see if someone local could do so for you.

We recently had a call from a local school bus barn that had the Diesel Particulate Filter cut off of one of their buses. That junkie must have thought he found the biggest Cat ever made.

Euby

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And then it would release a blast of pepper spray. Like an insect protecting itself.
Or maybe deliver some sort of not-so-mild electric shock. Better yet, how about modifying one of those one of those anti-carjacking systems from South Africa?

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The primary cat on the Ecoboost model is located just after the turbine housing and would be nearly impossible to be stolen. There is a secondary cat just passed the firewall that would be easy to steal but isn't "needed" for emission testing and won't cause a check engine light to delete.

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Or maybe deliver some sort of not-so-mild electric shock. Better yet, how about modifying one of those one of those anti-carjacking systems from South Africa?

Thats the greatest thing Ive ever seen!

Sponsored

OP
OP
BankableWhee

BankableWhee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The primary cat on the Ecoboost model is located just after the turbine housing and would be nearly impossible to be stolen. There is a secondary cat just passed the firewall that would be easy to steal but isn't "needed" for emission testing and won't cause a check engine light to delete.
@Buschur , does the Hybrid also have two cats, or is that a resonator before the auxiliary heather underneath the truck? I have looked online and through the forums, and cannot seem to find a definitive consensus.

Thanks,
Caleb

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anything that makes it tougher for the thief is a good thing. Many of these thieves will wait and come back after the part has been replaced, so, if your truck was easy pickings' for them, they will probably be back. I realize they stolen your resonator, but 'pro' catalytic convertor thieves will actually try to do as little damage as possible to speed up the repair process.

Have your dealer (most do welding jobs or know someone who does) make a cage to slow the thief down.

Etch "Stolen from" and the VIN number of the truck at multiple locations on the part to discourage a scrapper from buying it. Have the etching clearly visible by the thief.

Contact your local police. Some departments have a program to paint catalytic convertors, presumably, so scrappers can id them as stolen.

Park the truck so it does not hide someone under it.

If you can't garage it, park it near the porch light and get a camera(s) to record what goes on around the truck.

Good luck.

OP
OP
BankableWhee

BankableWhee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I appreciate everybody's suggestions and input on the situation! I am planning on discussing options with my dealer and the local police, and will let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks again, and stay safe!!

Caleb

Mmmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
magic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not a car guy mechanically speaking, just design wise.

what is a resonator used for? sounds like something used in spaceballs.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We have a local exhaust shop that is making cages for Cats. I'd call around and see if someone local could do so for you.

We recently had a call from a local school bus barn that had the Diesel Particulate Filter cut off of one of their buses. That junkie must have thought he found the biggest Cat ever made.
Some transit buses use a muffler/cat that contains plutonium- We just had to order one- $22K- Easy payments- lol

Sponsored

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Buschur , does the Hybrid also have two cats, or is that a resonator before the auxiliary heather underneath the truck? I have looked online and through the forums, and cannot seem to find a definitive consensus.

Thanks,
Caleb
No clue, never seen, been in, road, driven or had any interest in a hybrid:)

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Etch "Stolen from" and the VIN number of the truck at multiple locations on the part to discourage a scrapper from buying it. Have the etching clearly visible by the thief.

Good luck.
I like this idea!!

Tinman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some transit buses use a muffler/cat that contains plutonium- We just had to order one- $22K- Easy payments- lol
I hope you mean Platinum

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No clue, never seen, been in, road, driven or had any interest in a hybrid:)
I could be mistaken, but I’m guessing that nobody in a thread about a thief stealing parts off a hybrid exhaust really cares whether you have β€œroad” in a hybrid.
Sponsored