First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL and 2023 Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just got back from a whirlwind trip to take my wife to see Monticello in VA from Ohio. Now most of you probably know these things but this is my first hybrid so this was a new experience for me. First there is zero issues on enough power, I don't think I ever got over 50% power even on the grades through the Red River gorge area.

First thing I noticed is how seamless it works and how quiet it is, Even slogging up a 7% at 73 mph on I64 it was not overtly loud, It was very unique for a old farmer to watch the cruise just stay locked on speed and the motor rpm would just increase and decrease. I never thought shifting bothered me but i do not miss it.

My favorite thing is the the regen braking, Man it makes things so much more comfortable to drive, not tapping brakes to hold speed on grades, I only found one that it had a hard time holding, east of Beckley heading down into the gorge and almost the bottom on that 8% it finally started to creep up a bit but everything else locked on solid as a rock. I find this a fascinating feat of engineering for $25K.

One thing I forgot to add is the room, I am 6'6" tall and 400 lbs and I have a lot of room in the little Maverick! Space is great seats are wonderful and lots of legroom

One thing I don't think Ford gets enough credit for is how good they drive. I also own a Bronco sport Heritage edition, and they are twins on how they drive as they should they are on the same platform. It was one of the reasons i wanted a Maverick because of the shared DNA, They are just rock solid on the road and feel much bigger than they are. At 70 plus mph it i so stable and poised.

We did think the Maverick rode better than our Bronco and I attribute that to the axle length give most of the ride improvement. The seats are more comfortable to us in the Maverick also, Remember this is a base Xl with just a few options.

Milage surprised me, I was at 37 mpg for the whole trip over 2 days of mostly heavy interstate hammering at 73 mph on very hilly terrain on I64 and I77. This was done on a new truck with 196 miles, I am impressed! So far this might be my best vehicle purchase I have done in awhile.

I thought my Bronco sport was my rock star, the little 1.5L turbo just flies, We have driven that from Cape Hatteras to Rapid City and averaged around 31 mpg.

I guess my great joy so far was how well the ECVT works and how dam simple it is. It just works smooth and flawless so far, IT always had power to pass and merge.

I had the chance to buy a Maverick XLT Eco boost 4wd at the time as they had 2 to choose from, and I decided to try the Hybrid and now I am glad I did. It just fits this old man!

One thing the stock tires suck, They are round and roll and they held the road okay but they are going away soon as I can, probably the first snow here in Ohio. Its sad when you buy a new vehicle and they put half tread tires on them. That is my biggest complaint Ford stop doing that shit, You are not saving that much money. Just my thoughts as a new owner!
Ford Maverick My 1200 mile review on my 2023 XL Hybrid IMG_1278
Sponsored

Last edited:

Techcar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL, 2019 RangerXLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just got back from a whirlwind trip to take my wife to see Monticello in VA from Ohio. Now most of you probably know these things but this is my first hybrid so this was a new experience for me. First there is zero issues on enough power, I don't think I ever got over 50% power even on the grades through the Red River gorge area. First thing I noticed is how seamless it works and how quiet it is, Even slogging up a 7% at 73 mph on I64 it was not overtly loud, It was very unique for a old farmer to watch the cruise just stay locked on speed and the motor rpm would just increase and decrease. I never thought shifting bothered me but i do not miss it. My favorite thing is the the regen braking, Man it makes things so much more comfortable to drive, not tapping brakes to hold speed on grades, I only found one that it had a hard time holding, east of Beckley heading down into the gorge and almost the bottom on that 8% it finally started to creep up a bit but everything else locked on solid as a rock. I find this a fascinating feat of engineering for $25K. One thing I don't think Ford gets enough credit for is how good they drive. I also own a Bronco sport Heritage edition, and they are twins on how they drive as they should they are on the same platform. It was one of the reasons i wanted a Maverick because of the shared DNA, They are just rock solid on the road and feel much bigger than they are. At 70 plus mph it i so stable and poised. We did think the Maverick rode better than our Bronco and I attribute that to the axle length give most of the ride improvement. The seats are more comfortable to us in the Maverick also, Remember this is a base Xl with just a few options. Milage surprised me, I was at 37 mpg for the whole trip over 2 days of mostly heavy interstate hammering at 73 mph on very hilly terrain on I64 and I77. This was done on a new truck with 196 miles, I am impressed! So far this might be my best vehicle purchase I have done in awhile, I thought my Bronco sport was my rock star, the little 1.5L turbo just flies, We have driven that from Cape Hatteras to Rapid City and averaged around 31 mpg. I guess my great joy so far was how well the ECVT works and how dam simple it is. It just works smooth and flawless so far, IT always had power to pass and merge. I had the chance to buy a Maverick XLT Eco boost 4wd at the time as they had 2 to choose from, and I decided to try the Hybrid and now I am glad I did. It just fits this old man! One thing the stock tires suck, They are round and roll and they held the road okay but they are going away soon as I can, probably the first snow here in Ohio. Its sad when you buy a new vehicle and they put half tread tires on them. That is my biggest complaint Ford stop doing that shit, You are not saving that much money. Just my thoughts as a new owner!
IMG_1278.jpg
I have almost the same truck as you , the 2023 XL . I ordered it last year and got it last month. Like you I was pleasantly surprised with how well it drives and it has more power than I was expecting when you need to pass or merge into traffic. It's no Mustang , but it gets the job done. I live out in the country and a few times a week I need to go into town so about 50% country roads and 50% interstate driving .My average MPG for 1700 miles is 48 , so whats not to like .
As for the tires , they are short on tread depth , only 8/32 when new which is what I have left on my 2019 Ranger XLT tires that are the original tires with 37,000 miles on them . I would think the reason for the shallow depth on the Maverick is for a slight increase in fuel mileage it will afford the truck. Enjoy your truck, I know I am mine .

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just got back from a whirlwind trip to take my wife to see Monticello in VA from Ohio. Now most of you probably know these things but this is my first hybrid so this was a new experience for me. First there is zero issues on enough power, I don't think I ever got over 50% power even on the grades through the Red River gorge area. First thing I noticed is how seamless it works and how quiet it is, Even slogging up a 7% at 73 mph on I64 it was not overtly loud, It was very unique for a old farmer to watch the cruise just stay locked on speed and the motor rpm would just increase and decrease. I never thought shifting bothered me but i do not miss it. My favorite thing is the the regen braking, Man it makes things so much more comfortable to drive, not tapping brakes to hold speed on grades, I only found one that it had a hard time holding, east of Beckley heading down into the gorge and almost the bottom on that 8% it finally started to creep up a bit but everything else locked on solid as a rock. I find this a fascinating feat of engineering for $25K. One thing I don't think Ford gets enough credit for is how good they drive. I also own a Bronco sport Heritage edition, and they are twins on how they drive as they should they are on the same platform. It was one of the reasons i wanted a Maverick because of the shared DNA, They are just rock solid on the road and feel much bigger than they are. At 70 plus mph it i so stable and poised. We did think the Maverick rode better than our Bronco and I attribute that to the axle length give most of the ride improvement. The seats are more comfortable to us in the Maverick also, Remember this is a base Xl with just a few options. Milage surprised me, I was at 37 mpg for the whole trip over 2 days of mostly heavy interstate hammering at 73 mph on very hilly terrain on I64 and I77. This was done on a new truck with 196 miles, I am impressed! So far this might be my best vehicle purchase I have done in awhile, I thought my Bronco sport was my rock star, the little 1.5L turbo just flies, We have driven that from Cape Hatteras to Rapid City and averaged around 31 mpg. I guess my great joy so far was how well the ECVT works and how dam simple it is. It just works smooth and flawless so far, IT always had power to pass and merge. I had the chance to buy a Maverick XLT Eco boost 4wd at the time as they had 2 to choose from, and I decided to try the Hybrid and now I am glad I did. It just fits this old man! One thing the stock tires suck, They are round and roll and they held the road okay but they are going away soon as I can, probably the first snow here in Ohio. Its sad when you buy a new vehicle and they put half tread tires on them. That is my biggest complaint Ford stop doing that shit, You are not saving that much money. Just my thoughts as a new owner!
IMG_1278.jpg
Could I ask you to edit this review and break it up in several paragraphs? This happens quite a bit on this forum but what people don’t realize is that it makes it very hard to read for many of us. I guarantee many more would read it broken up. Thank you 👍

OP
OP

ltelmo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is a fantastic vehicle for the dollar spent, I am thinking of putting some Cross Climate 2 on it soon for winter. I don't think I broke 50% power on the whole trip!

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Could I ask you to edit this review and break it up in several paragraphs? This happens quite a bit on this forum but what people don’t realize is that it makes it very hard to read for many of us. I guarantee many more would read it broken up. Thank you 👍
I'm no genius but I didn't have a problem reading it. 😄

Sponsored

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to take my wife to see Monticello in VA from Ohio. Now most of you probably know these things but this is my first hybrid so this was a new experience for me. First there is zero issues on enough power, I don't think I ever got over 50% power even on the grades through the Red River gorge area.

First thing I noticed is how seamless it works and how quiet it is, Even slogging up a 7% at 73 mph on I64 it was not overtly loud, It was very unique for a old farmer to watch the cruise just stay locked on speed and the motor rpm would just increase and decrease. I never thought shifting bothered me but i do not miss it.

My favorite thing is the the regen braking, Man it makes things so much more comfortable to drive, not tapping brakes to hold speed on grades, I only found one that it had a hard time holding, east of Beckley heading down into the gorge and almost the bottom on that 8% it finally started to creep up a bit but everything else locked on solid as a rock. I find this a fascinating feat of engineering for $25K.

One thing I don't think Ford gets enough credit for is how good they drive. I also own a Bronco sport Heritage edition, and they are twins on how they drive as they should they are on the same platform. It was one of the reasons i wanted a Maverick because of the shared DNA, They are just rock solid on the road and feel much bigger than they are. At 70 plus mph it i so stable and poised.

We did think the Maverick rode better than our Bronco and I attribute that to the axle length give most of the ride improvement. The seats are more comfortable to us in the Maverick also, Remember this is a base Xl with just a few options.

Milage surprised me, I was at 37 mpg for the whole trip over 2 days of mostly heavy interstate hammering at 73 mph on very hilly terrain on I64 and I77. This was done on a new truck with 196 miles, I am impressed! So far this might be my best vehicle purchase I have done in awhile.

I thought my Bronco sport was my rock star, the little 1.5L turbo just flies, We have driven that from Cape Hatteras to Rapid City and averaged around 31 mpg.

I guess my great joy so far was how well the ECVT works and how dam simple it is. It just works smooth and flawless so far, IT always had power to pass and merge.

I had the chance to buy a Maverick XLT Eco boost 4wd at the time as they had 2 to choose from, and I decided to try the Hybrid and now I am glad I did. It just fits this old man!

One thing the stock tires suck, They are round and roll and they held the road okay but they are going away soon as I can, probably the first snow here in Ohio. Its sad when you buy a new vehicle and they put half tread tires on them. That is my biggest complaint Ford stop doing that shit, You are not saving that much money. Just my thoughts as a new owner!
IMG_1278.jpg
23 XL owner here. Great truck and glad you're enjoying it too.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_1278.jpg
Thank you Jamie. That was a great review and very enjoyable to read. I have the Lariat but I agree the tires are lacking. The Lariat has better tires but not by much. Your experience is I think very typical and I think overall these are great vehicles that fit this old man too! 👍

trumpet77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2009 Porsche Cayman
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What tires do you have? I think the stock tires are not always the same. My XLY hybrid has Continentals, they seem like good tires.

OP
OP

ltelmo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It came with the Continental Cross Contact TX , they have very shallow tread the 8/32 OEM and i am afraid first snow or hard rain I will be in the ditch. I am leaning to putting Cross Climate 2 on it very soon. I had them on my personal Bronco and were amazing

Sponsored
OP
OP

ltelmo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine