2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First some stats:
  • ~502 hours in the "on" position equals an average MPH of ~20, which is probably correct given all of the city driving...unfortunately.
  • Truck calculated MPG - 46.9 (adjusted AFE bias at ~3k miles)
  • Hand calculated MPG - 45.6
  • Unscheduled maintenance - 0
  • Scheduled maintenance - oil/filter and tire rotation (DIY)

Now some unresolved issues (in no particular order):
  • Grabby brakes at low speed, particularly during damp/winter conditions
  • Terrible engine shutter during transition to electric-only mode, particularly noticeable at low speeds/coming to stop
  • Occasionally when the engine shuts off to electric-only mode, it sounds like a rod is going to go through the block and it makes a terrible metallic/diesel sound
  • Now that the weather is cooling back down, the dash/windshield rattle is back with a vengeance and is ridiculously annoying
  • Radio (and climate control readout) continues to lag and needs to be reset, usually twice a month
  • Wipers do not "park" correctly, causing an annoying squeak with every use, particularly on intermittent
  • Heated steering wheel gets blazing hot for all of 5 minutes and then stops, despite being "on" (apparently normal)
Finally, my opinions:

The ride quality is overly stiff and could probably benefit from the Tremor dampers. However, the truck rides much better when near max payload capacity.

The factory sound system is very anemic and is primed for upgrading. It would be nice if there was a less complicated/expensive way to get the Sync 3 unit installed.

The seats could use more support for those with inseams >34." I've looked into the 10-way seats from the Escape, but it would be cost prohibitive and really wouldn't add much thigh support. More importantly, it would be nice to gain a few inches of legroom and/or have the pedals moved closer to the firewall - the transition from brake to gas during long city commutes can leave you with shin splints. Someone in the aftermarket could make a fortune supplying seat rail extensions.

Overall, the truck is ok. I have not had any issues that have left me stranded or caused an unscheduled visit to the dealer. The complaints listed above mirror many of the same complaints others have had and there isn't any real resolution to them...so I haven't even attempted to have the dealer "correct" them. It delivers the MPG as advertised and has come in quite handy for doing "truck things" that was normally relegated to an SUV.
Sponsored

walterbaughman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First some stats:
  • ~502 hours in the "on" position equals an average MPH of ~20, which is probably correct given all of the city driving...unfortunately.

• Terrible engine shutter during transition to electric-only mode, particularly noticeable at low speeds/coming to stop
  • Occasionally when the engine shuts off to electric-only mode, it sounds like a rod is going to go through the block and it makes a terrible metallic/diesel sound
  • Now that the weather is cooling back down, the dash/windshield rattle is back with a vengeance and is ridiculously annoying
  • Radio (and climate control readout) continues to lag and needs to be reset, usually twice a month
  • Wipers do not "park" correctly, causing an annoying squeak with every use, particularly on intermittent
  • Heated steering wheel gets blazing hot for all of 5 minutes and then stops, despite being "on" (apparently normal)
Finally, my opinions:

The ride quality is overly stiff and could probably benefit from the Tremor dampers. However, the truck rides much better when near max payload capacity.

The factory sound system is very anemic and is primed for upgrading. It would be nice if there was a less complicated/expensive way to get the Sync 3 unit installed.

The seats could use more support for those with inseams >34." I've looked into the 10-way seats from the Escape, but it would be cost prohibitive and really wouldn't add much thigh support. More importantly, it would be nice to gain a few inches of legroom and/or have the pedals moved closer to the firewall - the transition from brake to gas during long city commutes can leave you with shin splints. Someone in the aftermarket could make a fortune supplying seat rail extensions.

Overall, the truck is ok. I have not had any issues that have left me stranded or caused an unscheduled visit to the dealer. The complaints listed above mirror many of the same complaints others have had and there isn't any real resolution to them...so I haven't even attempted to have the dealer "correct" them. It delivers the MPG as advertised and has come in quite handy for doing "truck things" that was normally relegated to an SUV.
Great review! I plan to buy this 2023 XLT Hybrid next week because I really like its design. I think it has a cool little compact truck. It is fuel-efficient, well-designed, and comfortable. The price is fairly reasonable.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you had any of the recalls done on this? That may explain the grabby brakes, the ICE stumbling after shutdown, and the radio issues. The rattle in the dash is probably due to the loose grille at the windshield, which is also fixed at the dealer. While the ride can best be described as "trucky" and stiffer than most SUVs or cars, its pretty smooth compared to any other truck that I've ever had. Some of that is obviously due to sitting a lot lower and not being thrown from side to side as a result. Compare the ride with an F150 or a Taco and you'll instantly see the difference.

OP
OP

blackb13

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you had any of the recalls done on this? That may explain the grabby brakes, the ICE stumbling after shutdown, and the radio issues. The rattle in the dash is probably due to the loose grille at the windshield, which is also fixed at the dealer. While the ride can best be described as "trucky" and stiffer than most SUVs or cars, its pretty smooth compared to any other truck that I've ever had. Some of that is obviously due to sitting a lot lower and not being thrown from side to side as a result. Compare the ride with an F150 or a Taco and you'll instantly see the difference.
The recalls are fairly recent and the solution(s) is a software update, which (and let's be honest) probably won't do anything for the random broken-flywheel/metallic/dieseling that has been occurring.

The radio had the latest firmware updated last week and I just had to reset it yesterday after it was stuck on the android auto screen. It's just a pile of junk, especially compared to the sync 3/4. I've NEVER had to reset another infotainment as much as this one, and I've used a bunch from different manufacturers.

My dash rattle is caused from the windshield mounting tab and when going to the dealer will most likely be met with "unable to replicate."

The ride is much harsher compared to the F-150s I've driven - yes, there's less side-to-side motion, but there's wayyy less suspension compliance. I can't speak on Tacos.

But to your point, no, I haven't yet been to the dealership as I absolutely despise walking into them.

Last edited:

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First some stats:

Finally, my opinions:

Exactly correct on all... I have the same issues feedback and joy with this truck. It's very good but needs refinement when the engine switches to / from electric. I get 40 MPG average - The ride is too stiff for my liking but man does this thing go on the highway. That stiff suspension makes it nimble like a go cart. Plenty of power, and a comfortable interior. My steering wheel heater works correctly and stays warm and on > 5 min. My main dislike if any is the transition between electric and gas.
Sponsored