First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We are working hard on resolving this issue. We did not experience this issue when designing and testing the hood strut kits. We have checked in with a few of our earliest customers and they are not experiencing any issues. MRT is currently trying to get another Maverick into the shop so we can begin troubleshooting with the vehicle. We will get to the bottom of this and resolve any issues. If anyone else is having any issues please reach out to me here through PM or email MRT at [email protected]
Are there any updates on this topic? I have the struts already at home, but I am afraid to install them.
Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I wanted to let everyone know that I installed these hood struts today and they work very well. I followed the installation instructions to the letter because I had read here about issues with these struts.

I posted a video up on youtube showing how I used tape for alignment and had my wife help hold the hood in place during the bracket installation. You can see at the end of the vid that the hood release works as intended from the factory.

I apologize for the shaky camera. It is cold today and I was freezing my butt off even in the garage and the camera on my Motorola phone isn't the best but I think it still gets the point across.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wanted to let everyone know that I installed these hood struts today and they work very well. I followed the installation instructions to the letter because I had read here about issues with these struts.

I posted a video up on youtube showing how I used tape for alignment and had my wife help hold the hood in place during the bracket installation. You can see at the end of the vid that the hood release works as intended from the factory.

I apologize for the shaky camera. It is cold today and I was freezing my butt off even in the garage and the camera on my Motorola phone isn't the best but I think it still gets the point across.

Just came across this thread this pm. Want to say that I installed the struts about 10 days ago, have opened the hood a half dozen times with no problems. As far as alignment goes…… I made a mark to use on re-assembly. Worked fine. Probably don’t need to say this, but…..…. Just be sure that one side is ALWAYS good and tight before tackling the other.
Good product, we’ll made and finished. Recommended, would do it again.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To all who have had good luck with struts, congrats.

I was unfortunate enough to have received a mismatchEd pair of struts. I must say the folks from MRT were very good to work with and they tried mightily to resolve the problem I was having. That was that once installed the hood would not fully release on it own.

After several weeks of back and forth they suggested testing the pressure on ea one. Turns out one required around 25-30 lbs to compress. The other took 85 lbs and was way out of spec.

MRT offered to send a replacement for the bad strut, however, after all the trials and tribulations I had been through trying to get my hood to function, I opted out and was given a full return.

I believe these guys and their products are ok. I just got a bad part and didn’t want to try again.

I would recommend that you might take a couple minutes before installing and make sure the struts are well matched.

This can be done by placing one end on a bathroom scale and pushing down on the other. (May want to fold up small towel to put between the strut and your hand and one between the strut and the scale surface.) Read the scale as the strut starts to move and you have pressure required.

Again, I’m not complaining here, its just one of those things.

Orb1T

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick,Porsche 986,997.1,S4,Tesla
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have same issue ford took 4 hours same issue cant open the hood. I thought it was me diy several hours had enough of it. looks like a solid product but no go for me me, thanks

Sponsored

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have same issue ford took 4 hours same issue cant open the hood. I thought it was me diy several hours had enough of it. looks like a solid product but no go for me me, thanks
Damn that sucks!

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Post up some pics. Maybe you installed them incorrectly?

If you post up some pics maybe we can help identify why they aren't working correctly for some members but others they are working just fine.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Post up some pics. Maybe you installed them incorrectly?

If you post up some pics maybe we can help identify why they aren't working correctly for some members but others they are working just fine.
Read my earlier post and you will know why.

TheRef

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am trying to get my hood opened also. Hope to get struts off, return for refund.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Read my earlier post and you will know why.
I read your post but maybe there is another issue we are over looking but since you've already removed yours and returned it I didn't bother asking you for pics.

I suppose it's possible that MRT received a bad batch of struts from their supplier. These things happen all the time. The struts are probably the only thing MRT doesn't manufacture they probably buy them from a supplier with their name on it.

These types of issues always arise with new products it's just part of being an early adopter. Hell look what happened with Ford when they farmed out the SIBL for the Mav. Now theirs over 5000 Mavs out their with potentially bad fuel tanks.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, that is correct. I have one of those too.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I should say potentially. It has yet to be examined.

OP
OP
MRTperformance

MRTperformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ShopMRT.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
Undecided
We have confirmed with Weatherman's kit he did receive an incorrect strut. MRT has gone through the process to ensure that this does not occur in the future. There have been only a very small number of kits with issues. I have reached out to all affected customers who we have been made aware of.

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Our head engineer just suggested to me to try to check the release lever in the cabin it the connection from the release cable to the lever it self may have become misaligned or disconnected completely. Just something to look into while we keep digging.
How many engineers do you have?

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have confirmed with Weatherman's kit he did receive an incorrect strut. MRT has gone through the process to ensure that this does not occur in the future. There have been only a very small number of kits with issues. I have reached out to all affected customers who we have been made aware of.
I just received my kit today and tested the struts. One takes rought 38-40lbs of force to compress and the other is closer to 50. You can feel a difference between the two struts, however, without a Maverick to mount them on I don't know if this difference is enough to cause an issue like other's have described here. Please advise. Thanks
Sponsored