First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a mid gate on my Escalade EXT and it great. The bottom folds down and the window removes. I have folded the gate down many times but never needed to remove the window. With the gate down the bed is over eight feet with the tailgate up.

Sponsored

Master Blaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Master
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a huge problem with a midgate on a unibody vehicle. A more traditional body-on-frame truck uses the ultra-heavy frame to partly stop body twist, but its not nearly as good at doing that as a unibody. That's why the bed has to be a separate box from the cab, so it can move independently because even the biggest frame is not big enough to be good at doing that. Boxing in the frame helps a bit more, but its still not as good as you need. Instead, the rear wall of the unibody cab is a seriously-rigid structural component that prevents the body from twisting. If you remove that, the remaining major structural integrity is in things like your front and rear windows, and I doubt that you want to put any additional major stresses on an already thinned-down component or the glue that holds it in.
So its going to be interesting to see how the mechanical engineers resolve that problem on a possible future midgate truck. I'd bet that you'll never see it being built.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There is a huge problem with a midgate on a unibody vehicle. A more traditional body-on-frame truck uses the ultra-heavy frame to partly stop body twist, but its not nearly as good at doing that as a unibody. That's why the bed has to be a separate box from the cab, so it can move independently because even the biggest frame is not big enough to be good at doing that. Boxing in the frame helps a bit more, but its still not as good as you need. Instead, the rear wall of the unibody cab is a seriously-rigid structural component that prevents the body from twisting. If you remove that, the remaining major structural integrity is in things like your front and rear windows, and I doubt that you want to put any additional major stresses on an already thinned-down component or the glue that holds it in.
So its going to be interesting to see how the mechanical engineers resolve that problem on a possible future midgate truck. I'd bet that you'll never see it being built.
They would reinforce the area around the opening and to the sides to give additional strength. Much like how convertible chassis are reinforced to make up for roof strength loss.

ZABSMAV

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Enough of trying to turn a small, efficient, passenger vehicle with a functional bed into a full size pickup truck. Get a real truck if you are going to want to haul long or large items. We have a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Work Truck edition to haul things around in. The Maverick, with the flip/fold tonneau cover, is a grocery getter and occasional trip to the plant nursery type of vehicle. It was never intended to haul surf boards or furniture.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Enough of trying to turn a small, efficient, passenger vehicle with a functional bed into a full size pickup truck. Get a real truck if you are going to want to haul long or large items. We have a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Work Truck edition to haul things around in. The Maverick, with the flip/fold tonneau cover, is a grocery getter and occasional trip to the plant nursery type of vehicle. It was never intended to haul surf boards or furniture.
But it can. Few people need a 250/2500/350/3500/450 type truck. Waste of money for most.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford just filed for a mid gate patent for the Maverick. Probably for the 2028 MY redesign. https://fordauthority.com/2024/05/patent-filing-suggests-ford-maverick-could-get-midgate/
Nice! Should have been there from the beginning.
Damn straight! 4.5 ft bed with no pass through is one step above a caravan with no wheels.

Not to burst your bubble, but just because there is a patent, doesn’t mean it will get made. Some companies will file patents just so other companies can’t use the idea. Apple filed a patent for a folding display years ago, I think just before Samsung released theirs, but they have not released one yet.
Only issue in that theory is that midgates do exist in several forms on several vehicles. Their exact take on it being patented does give a pretty good indication of vested interest.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thats exactly what it was designed for. Occasional large items for people that dont want a big truck for efficiency reasons. Something I think would be important for buyers that prioritize economy. Also alot of people dont have moeny for more than one vehicle. This makes it easier to accomodate more buyers.

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL 2.0 AWD 4K CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Damn straight! 4.5 ft bed with no pass through is one step above a caravan with no wheels.

Only issue in that theory is that midgates do exist in several forms on several vehicles. Their exact take on it being patented does give a pretty good indication of vested interest.
But so do folding Smart phones, and apple hasn’t released one yet but they have several patents.
Sponsored