Maverick vs Ranger Lightning

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
For those of us who placed orders for MY2023 that don't think we will be built and get rolled over into MY24,

Would you consider a Ranger Lightening instead? Not much is known about it yet, might come out as '24 or a '25 model year. If it comes out as a '24 model year, it might be tempting to go with that instead of the Maverick (assuming I get rolled over, and I expect to be) It's all speculation at the moment. Only Ford know when they're actually going to release it and have a real estimate on price.

One article I read estimates a base price of $35k. (Personally I doubt it will be that low, but if it is at that price it's comparable in price to a loaded Lariat).

$35k is more than I want to spend on a vehicle, but having a frunk AND a truck bed would be fantastic, and the extra price probably worth it never buying gas again.

Toyota might be close to an electric truck too, they're better at keeping secrets than Ford, but, Toyota's offering looks larger and closer to a Tundra in size than the humble Maverick so probably won't steal any customers away from here.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I dont have enough solar for it. We are 100% off grid.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
not much info of any type on new 6th Gen Ranger for north America except it's coming and will also have Rapter. Only thing I saw on EV of any type is possible PHEV in 2nd year as a 2025. No other details. Wouldn't hold your breath for full EV "lightning".

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. Rangers are too big. I'm sure it will be awesome and I'm looking forward to the tech trickling down.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No on all EV until the price of the EV matches the ICE.

Sponsored

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll be interested in trading in my MY22 Maverick but 50-50 at this point. Especially as do not even have the Mav yet. Probably more down the line, unless this old body says riding comfort is more important.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I see no reason for Ford to launch a Ranger Lightning so soon, especially since there's already a bunch of fanfare about the redesign. They'll likely wait a bit so they can get the Ranger in the news in a few years again. They're better off putting those batteries in more premium vehicles for now, imo.

OP
OP

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Unfortunately that might never happen. They'll probably ban new ICE vehicles before EV matches them in price. ☹

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unfortunately that might never happen. They'll probably ban new ICE vehicles before EV matches them in price. ☹
Then a lot of poorer people won't be able to drive. That will go over well.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are worried about the 2023 Maverick delivery what do you think a 24 or 25 Ranger Lighting will be like.

I have been told by a reliable source that the the F150 Lighting production is already sold for the next two years.

Sponsored
OP
OP

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Then a lot of poorer people won't be able to drive. That will go over well.

They'll have higher car payments, hopefully offset by not having to fill up their car each week... But yes, it will hit poor people hard in another way too, people will probably start selling their EVs to get new models once the batteries start to decay. Poor people will end up getting stuck with a bunch of EVs with degraded batteries that need replacing but they cant afford it.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They'll have higher car payments, hopefully offset by not having to fill up their car each week... But yes, it will hit poor people hard in another way too, people will probably start selling their EVs to get new models once the batteries start to decay. Poor people will end up getting stuck with a bunch of EVs with degraded batteries that need replacing but they cant afford it.
It is going to be very interesting what the used EV, 10 years and older, is going to be like.
Replacement battery cost?
Replacement battery availability?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Inflation will probably fill that gap. Yay!:cry:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Poor people will do what they have always done. Drive old junk and fix it. My DD is a 93 ZJ. Got a 96 Bronco but it needs a carb retrofit, wiring and computer and 32,000 sensors are about toast. While I wait fo my Maverick I am fixing up a 1980 Eagle. Was getting rusty, so I have it stripped for paint, had a hole in the motor so it got a donor from my old CJ7 with a fresh mid 2000s motor rebuild. Should be reliable for another 10 to 15 years. Once I get it running lol.

The Maverick is for my wife. She went through cancer treatment for a couple years. So we are getting the cheapest new air conditioned(never had before)offroader on the market. A $29k Tremor.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I dont have enough solar for it. We are 100% off grid.
Glad to say I do, we factored an EV into the calculation when we put in our array. Generating extra now but its there when we need it.
Nope. Rangers are too big. I'm sure it will be awesome and I'm looking forward to the tech trickling down.
Agree, I would much rather have a Maverick Lightening
Most likely that will be 2025 or 2026 when Ford's and GM's new battery plants come on line. That is also when several new lithium mines are scheduled to begin production. In addition the Salton Sea lithium extraction facilities should be operating by then.

If you calculate the reduced maintenance and not buying gas the cost is actually already a lot closer than most people think at least for some types of vehicles. Not trucks of course. And if you have your own solar with available capacity then an EV is already less expensive.
Sponsored