First Name
Woo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, like I said I was in the market for a $39,000 Lightning Pro.

That didn't seem so far out of the Maverick category until it became unobtainium.

When it came time to place the actual order, I figured what the heck I can always flip this thing... No they sit on lots at MSRP and nobody buys them.

Where Mavericks are still going for five over MSRP
They are selling for a lot less than MSRP on secondary, even if you get the tax credit you might still lose money on the Lightning
Sponsored

OP
OP
Telemachus

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are selling for a lot less than MSRP on secondary, even if you get the tax credit you might still lose money on the Lightning
I don't think there is any "might" about it.

But then again as I have told my kids for years, never buy a car as an investment.

Then the last 2 years have just proven me wrong.

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your comparison is wrong. It's not Lightening vs Maverick. It's Lightening vs 3 x Maverick.

Is a Lightening better than 3 Mavericks? I don't know. I guess the market can decide.

Here's an interesting anecdote. I was filling my hybrid Maverick at a gas station this week that is across the road from the Ford Dealer. One of the workers saw me and came over to look at the hybrid Maverick and how popular they are...they sell as soon as they come in.

On the other hand, they have 3 Lightenings and can't sell them for under MSRP. People are looking for economy right now. If you are planning to take delivery of the Lightening and resell it, I would reconsider. If you think the Lightening better meets your needs, I would look for inventory already on dealer lots. I bet you will save some money over taking your order.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You actually found a $39,000 Lightning Pro available?

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Lightning, at current MSRP, is the worst value in the Ford lineup today. It's slow to charge compared to many other EVs and the range is terrible.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's no way for me to get past that $59,000 difference.

HolyCarp

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Cactus Gray XLT Eco AWD FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm sorta in the same boat. My Maverick is coming in this month. $30K. My Lightning reservation is allowing me to order the base Pro model sometime this summer. The original price was $40K. But that had ballooned to $56K as of right now. By the time summer comes around, it will probably be $60K. For the base model. Would it have been cool to get a Lightning? Yes, of course. But not for the price of two Mavericks.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the 1st gen Lightning will depreciate a crazy amount in the first 5 years of ownership. The markup is insane, recent quality issues are currently shaping perception in a negative way, and the bigger an EV gets, the less efficient it is. Ford hasn't figured this truck out, and being on the hook for $88k isn't a good place to be on any vehicle, let alone in this bloated market. That 7% interest can't stop won't stop, but we can't say the same for the Lightning at this point :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Telemachus

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sorta in the same boat. My Maverick is coming in this month. $30K. My Lightning reservation is allowing me to order the base Pro model sometime this summer. The original price was $40K. But that had ballooned to $56K as of right now. By the time summer comes around, it will probably be $60K. For the base model. Would it have been cool to get a Lightning? Yes, of course. But not for the price of two Mavericks.
At least you have the option to order the pro. For me it was "sold out" whatever that means

OP
OP
Telemachus

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The other crazy thing about the lightning is they have removed features that were mild selling points. Like the scale in the bed and the Smart Control trailer hitch. No mention of the fact that they wouldn't include them until after the order was already placed.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Id take the maverick still the lighting range and having to plan around charger isnt for me.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think the 1st gen Lightning will depreciate a crazy amount in the first 5 years of ownership. The markup is insane, recent quality issues are currently shaping perception in a negative way, and the bigger an EV gets, the less efficient it is. Ford hasn't figured this truck out, and being on the hook for $88k isn't a good place to be on any vehicle, let alone in this bloated market. That 7% interest can't stop won't stop, but we can't say the same for the Lightning at this point :ROFLMAO:
This. The charging/battery architecture was outdated before they even launched it.
Sponsored