Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well they were built on the Taurus chassis. And they had 4 doors and a seat that folded down in the back for a 3rd row. They were also low to the ground making no intention of being a SUVish utility vehicle like crossovers and such. Also long flat low body lines. That screams station wagon to me.
And pretty much a larger successor to the Ford Freestyle/Taurus X which was even more station wagon-y.
Sponsored

RobN

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
b/c Americans are too stupid to buy wagons!
They want it to be "SUV" like -
That's not entirely accurate. Federal rules around fuel economy apply different requirements to station wagons (classified as cars) than to SUVs (classified as trucks). Station wagons are bigger and heavier than regular cars, but were supposed to have better mileage than a similarly-sized SUV, making them impractical to build (dang physics!). So station wagons became SUVs or minivans, because the federal government demanded it.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because station wagons are awesome. Especially when available with AWD and twin turbos.

My dad had 2 of em. He traded up the second time to platinum because he got a deal. They were great family haulers and could tow a light camper. Had good tech and lots of luxury for their time.
Or take the European approach to them and drop a big V8 in them. Audi has always done a great job with them.

b/c Americans are too stupid to buy wagons!
They want it to be "SUV" like - you know, worse handling, oversized (yet same cargo capacity), and horrible mpg - and we can charge them more for it!!!
:rolleyes:
The irony of an American generalizing other Americans as stupid.
*Slow clap

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My parents had one, the front seats were almost recliner like. Most comfortable vehicle I have ever rode in.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's not entirely accurate. Federal rules around fuel economy apply different requirements to station wagons (classified as cars) than to SUVs (classified as trucks). Station wagons are bigger and heavier than regular cars, but were supposed to have better mileage than a similarly-sized SUV, making them impractical to build (dang physics!). So station wagons became SUVs or minivans, because the federal government demanded it.
My 1.8L turbo gas 2016 Golf Sportwagen held as much cargo as a CX5, but I averaged 38 mpg.(epa was 35 hwy). Fun to drive, cheap to own.

VW stopped selling wagons here for the same reason Ford stopped sedans - 'muricans won't buy 'em. Not because they won't meet CAFE standards. The remaining euro wagons sold here are usually high performance oriented - not high mpg, practical family vehicles; which they could be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GRABBR

GRABBR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Aviator, 2008 Charger R/T
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My wife loved her 2011 Ford Flex. Funny thing is, when we were looking for a replacement for her 2002 Windstar, I said let’s look at the Flex. She hated the looks of it at first so much, we had an argument over it. Once she sat in it and test drove it, she loved it. It was a modern day station wagon. I liked the scalloped sides on it. Throwback wagon styling. We finally traded it in on her 2022 Lincoln Aviator.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Or take the European approach to them and drop a big V8 in them. Audi has always done a great job with them.

:rolleyes:
The irony of an American generalizing other Americans as stupid.
*Slow clap
Your point is correct but I gotta laugh at "european" and " big v8" :ROFLMAO:

Your_Cousin_Vinny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lincoln Continental, 2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have always really loved the flex, especially the facelifted one that didn't have the ford badge on the front. Kind of had a little bit of a cyberpunk thing going on. Simple, but well detailed styling, with some really nice 2 tone paint options and good looking wheel choices to boot. I always thought it was a design feat; the practicality of a 3 row crossover without the blobby look, and it could be had in a total sleeper guise with the 3.5TT and AWD. Biggest gripe for me was it never made it out of the "myford touch" infotainment setup that was just terrible...

On the topic of size, the maverick will technically be my smaller car compared to my continental but just barely, by only a couple inches in length and width. Its really only "small" when compared to other trucks...

Quigon17

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Taurus X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What was the flex all about? I could never figure out why it even existed.
I had one and decided to get a Maverick when they came out. Just got it Monday. Only thing I didn't like on the Flex was the crappy MPG. Most people that had one loved it. A new drive train would have been nice, but no, they just stop making them.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Flex was a "station wagon" pure and simple. However those two words--"station wagon" were anathema to the auto industry. I had a new Flex nearly every year it was manufactured, except one year when they would not let us order one.

Without a doubt, it was THE MOST COMFORTABLE AND USEFUL car for "road tripping" that I ever had. Much more useful than an Explorer or other pure SUV. Much more comfortable with wider seats. As we had two homes and were going back and forth on weekends we absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately Ford never understood what they had created, and put ZERO marketing towards the Flex and its much uglier sibling the MKT. The first year of introduction, they had TV commercials for it with these urban type young folks going "clubbing" in it...as if. Boy did they miss the mark on that one.

Most people who had them, loved them. My 2019 was one of the last off the line and will be replaced by the Maverick if it ever shows up. FMCC is getting antsy as we are on our 5th lease extension, just waiting on its replacement to show up. They sold well in Michigan and in California, but not much anywhere else.

The downfall? MPG. I get about 14-16 around town driving, with close to 24 on the highway.

Yes it had a polarizing design but that was for those on the outside looking in. I was on the inside looking out!
I can see that being great for a road trip- plenty of space never hurts. Funny how often car manufacturers fail to market their products correctly.

We had the old mazda 5 which was basically a mini minivan. Looked like a stretched out honda fit or something but it had sliding doors on both sides and 3 rows of seats. Little on the outside but a ton of space inside. Both back rows folded down. We had two and they were freaking awesome.

The niche was for people in cities with kids who wanted a minivan but needed something small and fuel efficient for city traffic. Mazda never marketed it like that, in fact they hardly marketed it at all. After they discontinued it I talked to a guy working at the mazda part of the car show. He was PISSED because he knew they had a winner and they blew it. Said they could have sold a ton if they had bothered to market it.

Sponsored

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always have thought the Flex was pretty cool. A mix of SUV and soccer Mom mini van. I liked the style. One could order the Flex very loaded... not so much the Maverick.

haycraftzack622

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150 and 1992 Toyota pickup
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMG_2760.jpeg
IMG_2759.jpeg
I test drove and ordered a Maverick while my wife was out of town. She finally got to test drive one last weekend, and said it was like her Flex she used to have. I first thought “No, it’s not.” But it pretty much is a Flex with a bed.
Ford Flex Dimensions
202″ L x 76″ W x 68″ H
Ford Maverick Dimensions
200″ L x 73″ W x 69″ H
It’s actually a longer escape/ bronco sport. The maverick is built on fords c2 platform which made up the focus, escape and now bronco sport and maverick. The flex is built on fords d4 platform which was a modified ford d3 platform

ilikebike

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid HPR w/ BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have always really loved the flex, especially the facelifted one that didn't have the ford badge on the front. Kind of had a little bit of a cyberpunk thing going on. Simple, but well detailed styling, with some really nice 2 tone paint options and good looking wheel choices to boot. I always thought it was a design feat; the practicality of a 3 row crossover without the blobby look, and it could be had in a total sleeper guise with the 3.5TT and AWD. Biggest gripe for me was it never made it out of the "myford touch" infotainment setup that was just terrible...

On the topic of size, the maverick will technically be my smaller car compared to my continental but just barely, by only a couple inches in length and width. Its really only "small" when compared to other trucks...
Seriously, Flex had one of the coolest looking front ends at the time

Ford Maverick Maverick is like a Flex 1695442227040

Still looks good a decade later

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought this would be a discussion about how the Maverick is a “flex” to own. Like I’m flexing how my truck is such a unique and one of a kind truck!

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean, it is actually an escape with a bed but I guess you can go with flex.
Flex weighs 800 to 1000 pounds more than Maverick. One of these vehicles is not like the other.
Sponsored