Sponsored

Maverick Hybrid EGR valve unit failed at 400 miles, need a whole new exhaust system that backordered with no ETA.

Imanuel0912

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Imanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It so frustrating, after 399 days waiting, I picked my Maverick Hybrid FE Rapid Red on Wednesday, October 26 from Chapman Ford of Horsham, PA and drove it back to Maryland. On the 5th day on Sunday night, I noticed a lot white smoke come out from the exhaust. And on Tuesday morning I got a notification from the Ford Pass app that Service Engine Soon Warning. It said "The engine control system has detected the exhaust gas cooler is not operating as efficiently as expected. The apps suggest me to check if the vehicle coolant level is within normal levels in the coolant reservoir. When I checked it the coolant level in the reservoir is gone. I topped it up with the coolant from Ford, by the end of the day the reservoir is empty. And I found out that there is a leaking coolant from the bottom of the truck from the exhaust. So I bring it to my local dealer on Friday, November 4th at my local Ford dealer in Maryland where my neighbors work there as a mechanic. He is the one who working on my Maverick at the service dept. According to him the EGR valve unit failed, leaking coolant to the exhaust, and made white smoke come out from the exhaust tail pipe. According to him to replaced the failed EGR unit is too complicated. So he asked and got approval to change the whole exhaust unit. After a bit over a week the exhaust came at the service department, but unfortunately FORD sent them the wrong part. And they have to re-order again, but the problem is the correct part of whole exhaust is in backordered without any ETA when will they became available. So my Maverick have been sitting at my local Ford dealer waiting for the part since November 4.
What making worst was, I called the Ford Customer Service on Nov 14, told the rep regarding my situation with my Maverick. The rep who taking my case is Mrs Brittany Adams, I told her with the part being backordered without knowing the ETA, I need Ford to provide me with a substitute/rental car for my transportation, because I bought I brand new car with 399 days waiting period, only 7 days driving it for 400 miles, but it's a LEMON with more then 10 days (at that time) sitting the service and still waiting for a backordered part not knowing when will the part be available. Mrs Brittany Adams, agreed to provide me 10 days rental $45/day.
I consider my self tolerated with the whole thing being backordered, so I waiting almost a week before I started to get my rental car, because I can't use my wife car, since she got a new job that required her to use her car. The 10 days rental car is up end of November. So I called Ford Customer Service again to get thing resolve if the part still backorder after my 10 days rental up. The other reps that I spoke with, knows the situation, she suggested me to called back closer to the 10 days, and she told me that Ford might have other program to help me out, that I can extend to rent a car and get reimbursement. So this morning, I called Mrs Brittany Adams, the one who handled my case. She shoot me down not only regarding a rental extension, she refused to reimbursed my 10 days rental car. According to her, it's a FORD policy not to provide a reimbursement rental car if the part being backordered with no ETA. And she never ever mention it from the beginning, even I told her that since it's been on going with part being backordered, I need a car, since the dealer that I drop my Maverick don't provide a loaner.
It's a fricking mess with her and the whole Ford Customer Service representative. They all gave a different answer with no clear solution to a customer need.
I need to line up my resources to do a MD Lemon Law suit to Ford. Boy oh boy, love the truck, but hate how Ford treat customer.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Imanuel0912

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Imanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Videos and pictures where the smoke come out and the leak.

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid EGR valve unit failed at 400 miles, need a whole new exhaust system that backordered with no ETA. 20221101_143327

OP
OP

Imanuel0912

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Imanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the email from the Rep, who I asked for the reimbursement rental. She never mentioned about a Ford policy saying that Ford will nor reimburse the rental if the part is backorder with no ETA. And she knew the reason that time when I asked for a rental, because the part being backorder with not knowing when will it arrived, so I need a rental car.

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid EGR valve unit failed at 400 miles, need a whole new exhaust system that backordered with no ETA. Screenshot_20221129_005153_Gmail

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid EGR valve unit failed at 400 miles, need a whole new exhaust system that backordered with no ETA. Screenshot_20221129_005220_Gmail

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid EGR valve unit failed at 400 miles, need a whole new exhaust system that backordered with no ETA. Screenshot_20221129_005327_Gmail

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid EGR valve unit failed at 400 miles, need a whole new exhaust system that backordered with no ETA. Screenshot_20221129_005351_Gmail

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think you have a good case to get 10 days of rental. Beyond 10 days is probably not going to happen.

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What would be the delivery status of just the failed EGR unit? Maybe a different dealer could handle that repair since yours cannot?

Sponsored

Brown0

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Terrible situation to be in - I recommend seeing if another dealer will repair the EGR if available, if they agree that is the problem.

Also came to comment and say - Ms. Adams has some terrible attitude in what look to be short and unprofessional emails, @Ford Motor Company .

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
This is the email from the Rep, who I asked for the reimbursement rental. She never mentioned about a Ford policy saying that Ford will nor reimburse the rental if the part is backorder with no ETA. And she knew the reason that time when I asked for a rental, because the part being backorder with not knowing when will it arrived, so I need a rental car.

Screenshot_20221129_005153_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20221129_005220_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20221129_005327_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20221129_005351_Gmail.jpg
Hello there! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I can look into things on my end.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It so frustrating, after 399 days waiting, I picked my Maverick Hybrid FE Rapid Red on Wednesday, October 26 from Chapman Ford of Horsham, PA and drove it back to Maryland. On the 5th day on Sunday night, I noticed a lot white smoke come out from the exhaust. And on Tuesday morning I got a notification from the Ford Pass app that Service Engine Soon Warning. It said "The engine control system has detected the exhaust gas cooler is not operating as efficiently as expected. The apps suggest me to check if the vehicle coolant level is within normal levels in the coolant reservoir. When I checked it the coolant level in the reservoir is gone. I topped it up with the coolant from Ford, by the end of the day the reservoir is empty. And I found out that there is a leaking coolant from the bottom of the truck from the exhaust. So I bring it to my local dealer on Friday, November 4th at my local Ford dealer in Maryland where my neighbors work there as a mechanic. He is the one who working on my Maverick at the service dept. According to him the EGR valve unit failed, leaking coolant to the exhaust, and made white smoke come out from the exhaust tail pipe. According to him to replaced the failed EGR unit is too complicated. So he asked and got approval to change the whole exhaust unit. After a bit over a week the exhaust came at the service department, but unfortunately FORD sent them the wrong part. And they have to re-order again, but the problem is the correct part of whole exhaust is in backordered without any ETA when will they became available. So my Maverick have been sitting at my local Ford dealer waiting for the part since November 4.
What making worst was, I called the Ford Customer Service on Nov 14, told the rep regarding my situation with my Maverick. The rep who taking my case is Mrs Brittany Adams, I told her with the part being backordered without knowing the ETA, I need Ford to provide me with a substitute/rental car for my transportation, because I bought I brand new car with 399 days waiting period, only 7 days driving it for 400 miles, but it's a LEMON with more then 10 days (at that time) sitting the service and still waiting for a backordered part not knowing when will the part be available. Mrs Brittany Adams, agreed to provide me 10 days rental $45/day.
I consider my self tolerated with the whole thing being backordered, so I waiting almost a week before I started to get my rental car, because I can't use my wife car, since she got a new job that required her to use her car. The 10 days rental car is up end of November. So I called Ford Customer Service again to get thing resolve if the part still backorder after my 10 days rental up. The other reps that I spoke with, knows the situation, she suggested me to called back closer to the 10 days, and she told me that Ford might have other program to help me out, that I can extend to rent a car and get reimbursement. So this morning, I called Mrs Brittany Adams, the one who handled my case. She shoot me down not only regarding a rental extension, she refused to reimbursed my 10 days rental car. According to her, it's a FORD policy not to provide a reimbursement rental car if the part being backordered with no ETA. And she never ever mention it from the beginning, even I told her that since it's been on going with part being backordered, I need a car, since the dealer that I drop my Maverick don't provide a loaner.
It's a fricking mess with her and the whole Ford Customer Service representative. They all gave a different answer with no clear solution to a customer need.
I need to line up my resources to do a MD Lemon Law suit to Ford. Boy oh boy, love the truck, but hate how Ford treat customer.

The dealer should be handling the approval of the rental. Ford will only approve 10 days at a time. But they will certainly approval the rental if the part is backordered.

I deal with warranty claims for a Ford dealer... I don't understand how they are justifying replacing the whole exhaust because EGR valve replacement is "too complicated".
There very well may be more to the story, and I obviously don't have all the info, but that seems strange.
I looked in the workshop manual. Doesn't look overly complicated. A few gaskets also need to be replaced. All inexpensive parts. EGR valve is readily available. (I didn't check on the gaskets). Unless there was some "related damage" to other parts that require replacement. But just based on the info you gave, I can't imagine why Ford would approve replacement of the entire exhaust. Changes a couple $100 warranty repair into $1,000s.

BTW I don't see the entire exhaust being on B/O either. Looks like there are 50 of them in the national depot.

I certainly don't have all the info....but you may want to talk to the service manager at the dealership to figure out exactly what is going on....

Brown0

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was wondering what the EGR valve could have to do with coolant - looks like the Maverick has an EGR cooler, could that be it? Part K2GZ9F464B

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid EGR valve unit failed at 400 miles, need a whole new exhaust system that backordered with no ETA. 1669739195869

Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
could have the coolant damaged the cats?

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

could it be that the Catalytic converter is junk due to all the coolant dumped into the exhaust, requiring total exhaust replacement?

OP
OP

Imanuel0912

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Imanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's what worries me. Maybe there is more stories to it (hopefully not).
According to the mechanic the part number is NZ6Z.5F250.F

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's what worries me. Maybe there is more stories to it (hopefully not).
According to the mechanic the part number is NZ6Z.5F250.F
5F250 is a catalytic converter part #.

SpaceCowboy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Cactus Gray
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not a lemon if one thing breaks. It's sucky something so new broke. I think it would be nice to have a rental paid for my Ford but I don't see it as being mandatory.
Sponsored