First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It also seems variable from month to month.

I had this happen months ago, then it seemed to go away.

Then today I was slowing down gently to near-zero, approaching a roundabout in a parking lot, when the brakes suddenly "clunked" and I jerked to a stop. It seems to me that I've done that same braking maneuver many times without the "clunk," so I have no idea what caused it this time.

It's probably not random. But it sure seems that way.
Yep, that's the case with mine too. You know, I think there's a bit of conflation going on in these posts between the "Clunking/Grabbing" issue, and the general unevenness of the low speed regen/friction brake transitions. I can see how owners who've only experienced the latter could easily imagine we're being over dramatic about a minor hiccup. But trust me folks....when it happens, it's pretty damn jarring and needs to be addressed.
As for the general unevenness, by the way, I've found that mine has improved enormously over time as the system has broken in. And even the clunking events seem to have gotten fewer and farther between. But as you point out....who knows when it may rear it's ugly head again. So hey Ford....do us all a favor and get serious about this thing, huh? I'm still a very happy Maverick owner....but I could be happier! šŸ˜‰
Sponsored

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had this a few times in first 300 miles. It's not concerning enough for me to visit a dealer/service center though.

Cad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Finding nothing is def a concern of mine. But I'll go thru the steps... If it's happened to me 3x in 1600 miles what's the chance of the dealer finding it without having to put 200-500 miles on it?
At least with bringing it in, youā€™ll have it on your service record when 10 years from now they admit something was wrong. Hopefully itā€™s not like the 2012,13 +++ Ford Focus transmission.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
yes, the other day I was in a drive through fast food and following the car in front of me. The brake response suddenly changed and didnt brake at all. I had to slam on the brake in panic and just missed hitting the car in front of me. I looked at my wife and said to be careful with this truck. she said she is not driving it. so I have learned that the truck has very dangerous and unpredictable braking. not a good thing. I like the truck but beginning to wonder how may 'cheap build' things I have to deal with. A base vehicle/ model should not mean POS.

@Ford, if this is software, you need to get this fixed. If it is replacing a $5 part with a $30 part in a recall, you need to get on this
Hi there. This braking concern doesnā€™t sound like something we want you to experience with your Maverick. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone commenting that this is not an issue has clearly never driven their truck in naval base traffic or anything similar where you come to a full stop and move up one car at a time for an eternity.

This problem happens almost daily for me despite how gentle I am while driving. AC on or off, different modes, engine warm or cold, etc. I hope the fix comes soon because while it is not enough to make me get rid of my truck (I love it dearly other than this), itā€™s very annoying.
Aaahhh! Pulling up one car length and stopping multiple times has created brake problem maybe like people have been talking about. In that situation I have found it best to only pull forward without using gas pedal just let pickup creep forward and lightly brake. This will of course have to be done without the brake and hold function active. I believe the computer needs more time to disconnect drive motor and/or it is programmed to brake harder at lower speeds. Who knows. If brake and hold is active it takes a little gas pedal to indicate the brake needs to be released so truck will be going faster than creep and braking will have to be stronger. (Timing pro blem)!

BB0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aaahhh! Pulling up one car length and stopping multiple times has created brake problem maybe like people have been talking about. In that situation I have found it best to only pull forward without using gas pedal just let pickup creep forward and lightly brake. This will of course have to be done without the brake and hold function active. I believe the computer needs more time to disconnect drive motor and/or it is programmed to brake harder at lower speeds. Who knows. If brake and hold is active it takes a little gas pedal to indicate the brake needs to be released so truck will be going faster than creep and braking will have to be stronger. (Timing pro blem)!
Sadly I donā€™t have the luxury of using the gas pedal when creeping forward in base traffic. The problem persists with just brake pedal actuation and brake hold disabled. When in this traffic I typically am going forward at only 1-4 miles per hour and these are the speeds that this issue tends to arise.

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does anyone with ACC have this problem in stop and go traffic while itā€™s engaged? The ACC will stop the truck and go again without touching the pedals. If doesnā€™t happen there then itā€™s software.

I havenā€™t seen anyone with ACC engaged with this problem so I thought I would ask.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I run mine in ECO mode and said to myself I dont experience what these guys are talking about. then the other day I decided to try running it in normal, and as I was creeping in traffic, I noticed a ruff engagement of the brakes one time.

So I dont believe it does it as bad in ECO mode, regeneration have anything to do with it? They are connected/related.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone with ACC have this problem in stop and go traffic while itā€™s engaged? The ACC will stop the truck and go again without touching the pedals. If doesnā€™t happen there then itā€™s software.

I havenā€™t seen anyone with ACC engaged with this problem so I thought I would ask.
Yes I posted a comment about this exact thing a while back in a related thread. Using ACC in true stop and go traffic is not viable, the braking is jarring and horrendous to go through over and over and over and embarrassing for everyone to see you seemingly unable to control your vehicle as it jerks to a stop every time you creep forward 5 feet. ACC works great but when it fully brakes itā€™s no bueno. Gotta use the regular creep with foot on brake pedal in that situation.

Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Hey Clav, not to step on anyones toes, but heres what I learned about the ACC.

The way I use ACC in traffic is, I keep my finger on the button and will toggle it off when I need to go, before I press the go pedal, that way it releases the brakes and away i go with no rough disengagement of the brakes.

This works well for me, try it you may like it.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Clav, not to step on anyones toes, but heres what I learned about the ACC.

The way I use ACC in traffic is, I keep my finger on the button and will toggle it off when I need to go, before I press the go pedal, that way it releases the brakes and away i go with no rough disengagement of the brakes.

This works well for me, try it you may like it.
Actually it releases brakes from a stop quite nicely for me just by gently pressing the accelerator; that part isnā€™t too abrupt. Coming to the full stop is whatā€™s bad on my end. Maybe i misunderstood what you mean.

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes I posted a comment about this exact thing a while back. Using ACC in true stop and go traffic is not viable, the braking is jarring and horrendous to go through over and over and over and embarrassing for everyone to see you seemingly unable to control your vehicle as it jerks to a stop every time you creep forward 5 feet. ACC works great but when it fully brakes itā€™s no bueno. Gotta use the regular creep with foot on brake pedal in that situation.
Thatā€™s good to know!! It still may be software but maybe a combination of both.

Iā€™ll test it out when I get mine soon. Iā€™m not an easily embarrassed person so Iā€™ll let it happen until it breaks or I figure a non software solution.

Now it seems to be an alignment and/or lubrication issue possibly combined with software.

Software guys blame hardware guys and viceversa.. might be both..

Thanks for your response..

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Heck it could be a brake hydraulic pressure sensor if itā€™s not just an on and off sensor. So that would be ABS control.
Sponsored