Maverick Hybrid brake system grabbing and/or rough engagement at low speeds

Mmar13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Do you drive in eco mode at all? I find the brakes too abrupt in the default drive mode (that's how I know I forgot to switch to eco--braking at low speeds is too jerky). Eco is much better for my tastes, at least.
I have only driven in ECO mode once in the very beginning. I just tested the truck in ECO mode. This mode actually seems to correct the issue, which is good. But if I prefer to drive in Normal mode or forget to put it in ECO mode than their still lies an issue. When I put it back to Normal mode I can replicate the problem. So saying this, Ford still needs to look into the Normal mode with many people having the same issue.
Sponsored

Mmar13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I have 3600 miles on mine, same exact behavior you describe. I took it to a dealer, he said every checked out fine, of course he couldn’t duplicate the issues and ford had issued no updates, no notice to the service dept. I learned a few things here (poke around, some people have likely reasons it does this), and then spoke to another service dept. Never heard of it, again, no service notification from ford. There’s a ford rep that shadows this string and claims he’ll help correct the bug. Don’t waste your time, those service dept people never heard of it.
My experience is that it has decreased to almost gone over time, but wet weather will bring it back big time. Pump your brakes lots before you head out, that’s a big help.
About your brake noise, I’ve got that too but I haven’t seen mention of it on this thread. Service dept couldn’t duplicate that either. I live with it, it doesn’t do it much when backing up anymore but I hear it. Sometimes it sounds like my tire is scraping against the curb.
Net net? The lurching faded over time but watch out for when it’s wet. That noise? Probably the brakes breaking in, I think that too will subside.
Keep saying to yourself, 42 mpg, 42 mpg. I love it! I hope you will too.
Daddio
I live in CA, so this really is not too big of an issue with Rain. I am seeing this phenomena in any kind of weather.

Olele

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ditto - I’m having the exact same problem with my hybrid Maverick. Does anyone know yet how to fix this issue? Thank you

Grim_Skunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Strange, I find its worst in Eco mode. Rain, heater or A/C definitely does not help.

Sponsored

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish someone from Ford would chime in!!!
Bobinmi is right, learn to drive it. Go back further and read the thread, you'll get a better idea of what the issue is caused by and that oughtta calm you down. And my experience is it gets better as it breaks in. It's a different kind of animal, get used to it. And Ford did reach out to me from here, they sent me to a dealer service dept. and the the service dept. didn't know what I was talking about, Ford has issued no acknowledgment nor fix to the thing, nothing. A second dealer service dept couldn't duplicate the problem. Maybe Ford will figure out how to correct it but I wouldn't bet on it, it's likely that this is the nature of the beast, there is no fix. Don't worry, be happy, keep saying to yourself, "42 mpg, 42 mpg..", you'll feel better.

Randaddio

GregCoffee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
I’ve driven my truck for over 13k miles now and I can safely say that it doesn’t get better with time, in eco mode, rain/shine, or me “just getting used to it”.
The rep on this site has you reach out to a dealer yet the dealer cannot do anything about it since it’s a computer programming issue and not the braking system.
The braking jolting and surging while stopped paired with other simple issues (screen, backup camera, speakers, etc.) makes me want to trade in the vehicle since I’m not getting happier with each mile driven.

For some people, the braking isn’t as much of an issue but it depends where you are, how you drive, and how much traffic there is. For other, like myself, when you drive a whole lot and the truck constantly does these annoyances, it becomes a systemic issue just like in any other case.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For some people, the braking isn’t as much of an issue but it depends where you are, how you drive, and how much traffic there is. For other, like myself, when you drive a whole lot and the truck constantly does these annoyances, it becomes a systemic issue just like in any other case.
Sounds like a good analysis.

Too often, people make blanket statements about something being a "terrible problem" or "no problem at all." The braking issue doesn't bother me and I would never consider it a reason to sell my truck. But if it bothers you that much then it is an excellent reason for you to sell your truck.

It just depends on how it affects you in particular.

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like a good analysis.

Too often, people make blanket statements about something being a "terrible problem" or "no problem at all." The braking issue doesn't bother me and I would never consider it a reason to sell my truck. But if it bothers you that much then it is an excellent reason for you to sell your truck.

It just depends on how it affects you in particular.
What is incredible to me is Ford’s feigned concern on this forum by having a representative get in touch with you, send you to a dealer, and the dealer has not a clue. That’s on Ford, not the service dept. You would think solving this issue would pretty high up there in priorities because people unloading these can’t be good for unfilled orders, nor people doing due diligence and reading up on forums like this and seeing all this bitching about brakes, that’s not a minor issue. With Ford banking their future on EV’s this doesn’t bode well for them.
Randaddio

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I’ve driven my truck for over 13k miles now and I can safely say that it doesn’t get better with time, in eco mode, rain/shine, or me “just getting used to it”.
The rep on this site has you reach out to a dealer yet the dealer cannot do anything about it since it’s a computer programming issue and not the braking system.
The braking jolting and surging while stopped paired with other simple issues (screen, backup camera, speakers, etc.) makes me want to trade in the vehicle since I’m not getting happier with each mile driven.

Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and current mileage. Thanks!

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have about 3,500 miles on my Maverick XL Hybrid and one issue that I have been monitoring is that the brake system seems to be intermittently grabby and abrupt at slow speeds of 0-3 mph.

This would be such as when rolling into a parking space or maneuvering a 3-point turn with light to medium pedal effort. Sometimes it also happens coming to a stop light or stop sign.

The electronic brake system snap engages creating the sensation of the brakes grabbing. It is not severe enough to lock the wheels, but creates a noticable jerk in your motion. You can feel it in the pedal and hear it at the firewall where the system's electronic brake motor is mounted (means it's not happening at the calipers and discs).

The issue is one that for me as one who test drives lots of different vehicles is on the feather edge of being a "characteristic of low grade refinement" in the system or "something I need to have my dealership inspect". It's annoying but not sure it rises to the level of "problem".

I recently however tested and 2022 Escape Hybrid and it did not exhibit this behavior which has me thinking that I may consider a dealership visit.

I'm keeping an eye on it and will be discussing it on an upcoming review update but I wanted to put this out there and poll the masses to see if anyone else with a hybrid is experiencing this.
I test drove a Mav hybrid and noticed it to a very slight degree.

robb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Noticed it while in the drive through just the other day and also at a stop sign.
Sponsored