Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The standard Maverick has 5 drive modes - Normal, Eco, Sport, Slippery, and Tow/Haul. I understand when normal, slippery, and tow/haul are to be used, but what are the use cases for eco and sport modes?
Sponsored

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I am also curious about all this. I've never owned a car with different drive modes. I would guess that "Sport" mode would keep it in lower gears for longer, giving it more torque in each gear. But I don't know what the advantage to that would be in a small pickup truck. It's not exactly race-tuned.

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sport mode in our 2018 Honda CRV does keep it in the lower gears longer. The only thing I use it for is going down steep mountain roads. It causes the engine to hold back a little. (But not much.)

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB

I've always just kept eco on a lot currently but I use sport mode on occasion when it's useful to have that responsiveness.
Sort of like when you are in the front of the lane that becomes a turn only with a line of cars behind you and you are sure the guy to the left of you is in that lane just so he can gun it and make it to the turn lane before all of those queued up behind you?

I shamefully admit that is when I use it so I can usually box the impatient driver out.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if keeping the Hybrid trim on Eco mode is the only way to achieve the 500 mile range mpg.

Sponsored

OP
OP
groovesocket

groovesocket

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am also curious about all this. I've never owned a car with different drive modes. I would guess that "Sport" mode would keep it in lower gears for longer, giving it more torque in each gear. But I don't know what the advantage to that would be in a small pickup truck. It's not exactly race-tuned.
I too have never owned a vehicle with drive modes. The hybrid eCVT doesn't have gears. So I'm curious how sport mode and eco mode work on the hybrid eCVT.

RageRx

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150 + 20 Explorer
The standard Maverick has 5 drive modes - Normal, Eco, Sport, Slippery, and Tow/Haul. I understand when normal, slippery, and tow/haul are to be used, but what are the use cases for eco and sport modes?
I tell all my customers that ask this about other models the same thing. "Eco anytime to save some money or calm down a peppy engine, and Sport if you need to get onto the interstate or make a sketchy pass".

Sponsored

Vulcan9988

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I tell all my customers that ask this about other models the same thing. "Eco anytime to save some money or calm down a peppy engine, and Sport if you need to get onto the interstate or make a sketchy pass".
So am i correct in assuming then i can switch this while im moving and it wont cause issues?

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Eco mode - my frame of reference for how this will likely feel is my 2017 Honda CR-V and my 2018 F150, both of which have it.
Eco mode "dampens" throttle response. Very noticeable change in my CR-V when using Econ mode versus when it's off. Around town/city driving is where this works best. On the highway at highways speeds (70+ mph) it does little to nothing. In both my F150 and CR-V I've checked average mpg in Eco/Econ mode for city vs. highway driving. I actually get slightly less highway mpg in Eco/Econ mode than in Normal mode. For city driving Eco/Econ mode definitley makes a difference.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know FX4 ADDS modes but will it loose any modes to allow for the “off-road modes?”

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
In our Audi, sport mode keeps the rpms up to keep the turbo spooled up. I would expect the eco boost to be similar.

L3fty

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Enclave
I know FX4 ADDS modes but will it loose any modes to allow for the “off-road modes?”
I read that FX4 exchanges "sand" and "mud/ruts" modes for two of the standard ones. I THINK it drops sport and slippery if I remember correctly.
Sponsored