Maverick Backup Camera Quality

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
For certain tasks it is. Backing up to a trailer hitch is sketchy. And I knowww that people have backed up trucks for years without one. But what is the point of having guidelines/centerline if it's so bad you have to get out anyway? I also have a super tight garage spot that I have to back into. I suppose I could hang a tennis ball but there is no way I could look over my shoulder and not hit things. And yes, I've already upgraded to LEDs.

I could practically read a book from the backup camera on my 2019 not-so-luxury Subaru Outback it was so clear. And the screen on that was lower resolution than the Maverick!

In 2022, the quality is inexcusable.
I see your point, and these are valid concerns.

I just know there are people out there (on this forum) that are just saying that the quality sucks, just because it sucks and their new iPhone looks better. That's just..... extra. I get it. I want nice things, too, but damn, we're complaining about the quality of an image from the backup camera, just to complain? Sheesh.
Sponsored

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The image quality is certainly good enough to see a trash can or a tricycle or an other vehicle. I don't expect the camera to do any more than that, so I'd say it does its job. Is it the best backup camera resolution I've ever seen? No. Is it a problem for me? Not at all.

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I meant to pay extra close attention backing up in a dark parking lot the other night, but mine just hasnā€™t been that bad. Is the camera/image quality as good as it was in my Toyotaā€™s? Probably notā€¦. Is it better than the wifeā€™s 2016 535m? Itā€™s on par if not betterā€¦. I see everything I need to

Ford Maverick Maverick Backup Camera Quality 4CAE42C3-5A87-404F-9A43-AD221EAB6A7D

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I decided to do same, hereā€™s mine before dawn backing out of my driveway and into a spot at work. No LED upgrade (yet).
Ford Maverick Maverick Backup Camera Quality 565B2E01-C97B-4933-B509-FB2A8BFC72FE

Ford Maverick Maverick Backup Camera Quality 72E8CEF5-F7FC-4F45-A8C7-BDDD408CCB5A
Iā€™m wondering if there are some bad cameras out there?

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I can see that in the dark, it's mediocre, but still, not that bad. It looks the same as my Grand Cherokee. *shrug*

Sponsored

thunaman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would say that it is adequate, However have any of you watched something moving behind you through the camera? I have seen my neighbor drive by a few times and the delay and smoothness of motion are horrible, the vehicle moving behind me jitters as it moves through the screen and you can see the time delay its close to .5sec. this probably has more to do with the processing power in the head unit. Like some have said before me, in 2022 this is bottom of the barrel. On the other hand what can we expect at this price point?

It gets the job done. not gonna watch a movie on it!

I do appreciate the placement. I get what everybody is saying, However placing it right above the hitch location and adding the ability to zoom onto said hitch receiver is convenient for backing up to and aligning the receiver to a trailer.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From the videos Iā€™ve seen it seems fine, Iā€™m quite impressed by my 2018 Mustangā€˜s quality and of course the BMW blows it out of the water, but I really donā€™t care at the end of the day at all. I suspect Iā€™ll be content with it.

As for *why* itā€™s not very good, probably because Ford is trying to clear out inventory of these camera modules from previous years/vehicles. While of course they are still producing brand spanking new units of these 2017 I suspect cameras, the initial stockpile helps them avoid chip shortages and hit the target price of, remember, $20k.

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the quality of the backup camera that huge of an issue? šŸ¤£

Weā€™re all very spoiled. Iā€™m sure itā€™s not perfect, but šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Apparently the rear mirror and window won't work or the side mirrors to confirm anything seen on the camera. In Massachusetts you still need to do your drivers test without a back up camera.

It's also still a reference. I haven't found ANY review camera that is 100% without issue from resolution, guidelines, depth perception.

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why did you buy a Lariat trim level truck then? No need for all those fancy extras and do dads that weren't availble in the "old' n days" ? ;)
What fancy do dads are you talking about? I just like the interior.

Sponsored

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would love to know if itā€™s upgradable also. The backup camera on my BMW X 4 is amazing. Would love to put one of those cameras in there.
Just a reminder; the cockpit screen resolution would have to be able to support whatever the camera resolution is, as well as, what output type it supports. Hope it all works for you.

Maverick1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, BMW X4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True. They could definitely do better with the resolution.

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
Unfukking believable. The price was how much? Itā€™s an 80k Mercedes right?
Wow!
The camera works just fine.
Sorry, but damn. My Maverick is in my driveway and itā€™s an awesome bargain for the price and what it is.
My truck exceeded my expectations and considering the price it was the best deal in the automotive market.
I paid 33+k out the door and find me anything better out there for that. You wonā€™t!

7E6ECBD0-F25E-4F9B-A22E-0E1E83181C81.jpeg
The camera does work fine, I did say it works. It's just a little hard to see things like curbs and edges with the resolution at times. I use all the mirrors too, because this is the first vehicle I have purchased with a rear camera believe it or not. I also paid ~$33k.. and I can find you many vehicles with a better camera sensor on the rear that are not a Mercedes and in this price range. The truck is great for what you get, hence why I bought one. If you told me objectively though that this camera is a 10/10 or even 8/10 at this price point though, I'd still say no. That is my opinion, just adding 1 data point to the conversation. It didn't stop me from buying the truck, but maybe Ford will read this and upgrade future Mavericks so others can have an even better experience. That is what feedback is for right? Cheers...

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid