First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Federal regulations only require manufacturers to have a back-up camera. They don't specify what resolution it has to be.

Sponsored

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if the 50% who have "terrible" displays have checked the camera to make sure the protective film was removed?

Mllombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
Undecided
I don't have an issue with it and appreciate the moving guidelines. I back out of my driveway in the dark every morning and see just fine.....but then again I wasn't expecting a 4k HD backup camera in the Maverick. Lets me know what is behind me and nice for backing into spots. I'm good.
I agree.

OP
OP
Wx Man

Wx Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hendricus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What reviews? What's supposed to be not good about the backup camera?
There are many online/YouTube reviews of the Maverick in general and some have complained about the clarity of the cameras images.

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are their pickups out there that don't put the camera in the tailgate? I keep hearing that critique but am unaware of any that place it elsewhere that would allow it to work with the tailgate down.

Sponsored

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not an issue of cost, but quality. 480, 720, 1080, or megapixels are irrelevant. It's not about a statistic but the quality of the image sensor. Even the cheapest phones have better quality front facing selfie cameras. They could harvest them from dumpster e-waste and do better. An optical sensor needs to be good quality to pick up enough light to make a good image. There is some effect from processing the raw data of that image and displaying it properly but that is not the issue. I'm sure to some it is subjective and this one is "good enough," but it really isn't good enough in 2021. It is terrible and there is a good reason that so many think it is terrible. It is federally mandated to have a backup camera, but that is about it. They really phoned it in on the selection of camera and implementation. Fisheye cameras already have a lot of distortion on the edges. This issue is compounded by the bad image sensor not picking up enough raw data to display a good image. Then the location of the camera is completely unshielded from the elements in any way making any debris on the lens make the image even worse. Then when the tailgate is down it is useless which affects many truck cameras. It is failing in it's main purpose which is safety and simply added as an afterthought. There are many good things about the Maverick, and many more that are just adequate, but the backup camera is an abysmal failure in every way. All that being said, I still really like the vehicle. I just don't get why some can't bring themselves to admit a fault which is blatantly obvious. I prefer to just use the mirrors at this point. I will hopefully update it in the future when other guinea pigs try some different options or maybe there will be a safety recall.
In the "old'n days" we used to turn our shoulders and head to the right rear and look back with our eyes. We would also utilize all of the mirrors. Apparently that doesn't work anymore because why else would the federal government get involved with mandates.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the "old'n days" we used to turn our shoulders and head to the right rear and look back with our eyes. We would also utilize all of the mirrors. Apparently that doesn't work anymore because why else would the federal government get involved with mandates.
:eek: What is this Sorcery you speak of??? 😁

oreomuffin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CaptainK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the quality of the backup camera that huge of an issue? 🤣

We’re all very spoiled. I’m sure it’s not perfect, but 🤷🏻‍♂️

For certain tasks it is. Backing up to a trailer hitch is sketchy. And I knowww that people have backed up trucks for years without one. But what is the point of having guidelines/centerline if it's so bad you have to get out anyway? I also have a super tight garage spot that I have to back into. I suppose I could hang a tennis ball but there is no way I could look over my shoulder and not hit things. And yes, I've already upgraded to LEDs.

I could practically read a book from the backup camera on my 2019 not-so-luxury Subaru Outback it was so clear. And the screen on that was lower resolution than the Maverick!

In 2022, the quality is inexcusable.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why did you buy a Lariat trim level truck then? No need for all those fancy extras and do dads that weren't availble in the "old' n days" ? ;)

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Sounds like this is a quality control issue more than Ford intentionally installing a poor camera. I have not received my truck yet but the truck I drove was excellent so this makes me think some cameras are NFG, not all the cameras are NFG.
Not sure how open Ford would be for a warranty claim though given the current shortages…
Crossing my fingers, lol.
Sponsored