Sponsored

Deleted member 1483

I'd like to know more about how the AWD system works. It might be well within the range of function for the traction control system (or whatever system is applicable) to cut all power to the front while still powering the rear.
It absolutely can "only" power the rear. Generally only right when you start off sometimes the car decides the rear wheels should apply power first before the front kicks in. You can see it on the dash. However, I have no idea if it is using all 100% vehicle power.

I CAN say that under hard acceleration it almost always powers all 4 wheels, not just 2.
Sponsored

My1stTruck

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
About 50 seconds into the video, the narrator says that they are showing a hybrid with an all wheel drive system. Hybrid models do not have an all wheel drive system available to order. Is this something unique to models sold in Canada?
No, that's not what he said. He said, "my non-hybrid tester"...

Scooteriffic

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's not a hybrid in the video...there's no high-voltage lines under the hood. - Reviewer is talking out his back side, if he's claiming it's an AWD Hybrid. Nor is there a AWD Hybrid currently being manufactured for public consumption. My guess is he's not super informed on the specs of the various models.

Some videos are claiming the 'Slippery Mode' on the FWD Hybrids are awesome, even carrying a load, the rear wheels on AWD are probably only engaged when specific modes are selected, otherwise are reactive to front tire spin with minimal torque sent the rear under normal circumstances to help fuel economy. (Just a guess, not having driven one., but even my '02 Envoy, the fronts only engaged with rear slip in A4WD mode). The torque management and anti-wheel slip is probably years better than the old Mariner, manufacturers have improved those systems considerably over the last 6-10 years.
As someone who has the awd and has driven with the awd power screen on, the awd is not driven just by wheel spin or drive mode. I noticed that my maverick will have power to the rear quite often unless cruising at a constant speed like on the highway. Highway driving is mostly front wheel drive, but Iā€™ve noticed that even normal accelerating and turning usually engages all wheels.

Sponsored

aberdeenmeadows

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat Spider 124 and Mazda 6
I call BS on the claim that it can transfer 100% of the power to the rear. 50% is more likely, as I've never seen a FWD based AWD system that could send all of the power out back.

Stability control systems have been doing this for at least a decade that I know of, if not longer.

Most likely just parts shortages, so they put the parts they had into the higher end models. Same reason for the downgraded infotainment.
On my dashboard gauge, I see where power is all the time for each of the wheels. When not active, it shows 0% for back and 100% for front. I can see that AWD typically engages 50% front and 50% back during good conditions when pulling away from being parked.

When I am driving on snow, I do see the gauge changes to reflect what wheel gets what power.

What surprised me more than anything else was that the truck predominately drives in FWD mode. That's what I would've called BS on rather than what you were saying.

I was thinking about the stability control, too... which is one of the reasons why the Maverick was developed so quickly... the stability control has already been proven. Look at the Mustang with stability control and "snow mode" which does very well. All of that was brought over.

But stability control... you can actually turn that off and in fact, there has been more than one person that said for the Maverick - "TURN OFF STABILITY CONTROL" when driving through snow and ice and switch to wet/slippery or sand mode. So yeah, there is stability control and then there is AWD - and for me, I am loving the confidence of AWD in the Maverick.

James Smith

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Ranger
So it's mostly FWD? Then why did everyone with FWD 4K towing have to get AWD.
The FWD only ; applies when that extra traction from the Rear wheels is Not required ( This saveS fuel )

The AWD applies in lower traction situations.

So while you could say , it is " mostly running in FWD mode " , there are times when the AWD will be needed, to have sufficient Traction when towing ( up to ) 4000 lbs

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
About 50 seconds into the video, the narrator says that they are showing a hybrid with an all wheel drive system. Hybrid models do not have an all wheel drive system available to order. Is this something unique to models sold in Canada?
He says my non-hybrid tester - sorry I responded before I read all the other messages and see other comments - yes I appreciate the awd security and donā€™t understand why people disagree with the engineer explaining how itā€™s designed to operate šŸ¤” he worked on the vehicle and knows a lot more about this vehicle and complete system than any of the people ā€œtheorizingā€ here

Last edited:

drmoreau

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Subaru Crosstrek, BMW Moto
So it's mostly FWD? Then why did everyone with FWD 4K towing have to get AWD.
As a general rule, 4wd trucks have stouter suspension parts. This helps with towing, especially if you are nearing the allowable tow weight limit. One thing that concerns me is that this is AWD not true 4wd with low range. A rear locker with the 4wd would be even better. I guess you have to get the Ranger to have those capabilities.

drmoreau

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Subaru Crosstrek, BMW Moto
Watch again. He says "non-hybrid turbo charged..."

James Smith

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Ranger
Another thing all these videos that I've seen are of the FX4 what about others with XL or XLT AWD without the fancy display and modes šŸ˜¢
Yes so often just specific to the FX4 ,
. But on one FX 4 test I saw, it said you . " lose the Eco and Sport modes" ( on the FX4 ) so I assume those are on the AWDs that are not FX4 models,
Sponsored