First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you. I'm familiar with this kind of modeling, so let me tell you what else I see. I don't know for certain what drivetrains these represent, but the general pattern is consistent. I would call this a drag race analysis: straight "floor it off the line." You run up the maximum torque or HP curve in 1st gear, then shift to successively higher gears. Undulations are shift points where RPM and output drop. Torque falls because it includes a decreasing numerical gear ratio at each shift.

This works for any system where the power plant and the road are mechanically connected, virtually anything with a geared transmission be they EV, hybrid or conventional powerplant. Of the four drivetrains, three are geared so the model is valid. It's also valid with any EV. Assuming the fourth is Escape Hybrid, such a model is not valid.

Hybrid engine RPM is not linked to road speed, so relating ICE output to a "speed" axis is meaningless. Traction motor is linked directly to the road, but the ICE is connected through the power split device, and that changes everything. The ICE can run at peak torque RPM at any road speed. EV torque is first current-limited, then RPM limited, but ICE speed and so ICE torque can remain constant as you speed up.

You can understand why it needs a sophisticated control system...
Maybe I don't get it at all, but after watching the Weber videos, my understanding is the ICE crankshaft is geared to the output drive shafts. I did not see any changeable gearing. Did I miss it? Does a 'power split device' cause variations in the gearing of the ICE crankshaft to the wheel rpms? Seems what I saw, the engine rpms will continue to rise directly as speed changes. What did I miss?
tom
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ICE is connected via a planetary gearset and its effective gear ratio in relation to the ring gear of that set is modified by the direction and speed of the start/generator motor which is connected to the sun gear.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The ICE is connected via a planetary gearset and its effective gear ratio in relation to the ring gear of that set is modified by the direction and speed of the start/generator motor which is connected to the sun gear.
Unless the starter/generator can stop the planetary set, then it cannot change the ratio. Can it?
tom

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Unless the starter/generator can stop the planetary set, then it cannot change the ratio. Can it?
tom
It’s the ecoboost, not the hybrid I believe they are discussing

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Maybe I don't get it at all, but after watching the Weber videos, my understanding is the ICE crankshaft is geared to the output drive shafts. I did not see any changeable gearing. Did I miss it?
There are no changes in gear ratios, only changes in shaft speed ratios. Let's focus on the PSD, that little planetary gearset that's used in a unique way (patent #US3732751). This diagram has details specific to the original 2013 C-Max (62mph limits were removed), but the layout's the same as Gen 4.
Ford Maverick Maverick 0-60 times (hybrid / ecoboost) power split explained

Engine is connected to the planetary gearset
Torque motor is connected to the ring gear by a gear train
Charging motor is connected to the sun gear

The secret is in the constraints.
- engine can only run ~1000-6000 RPM in the forward direction.
- torque motor speed is constrained by vehicle road speed.
- charging motor can run +/- 10,000 RPM and produce torque or generate electricity at any non-zero speed.

Since its not constrained, the charging motor can change speed over a wide range, to accommodate whatever speed the planetary gearset ratios require to satisfy both ICE and torque motor/road speed requirements. By making torque, the charging motor can force the engine to turn, and there's a mode where it's used to reduce engine speed (negative split mode).

tom
Quite the opposite, it can allow the planetary gears (engine) to stop very easily! That's kind of the idea, to drive with the engine off (above 62 mph since the first C-Max PCM software update).

If you're familiar with automatic transmissions, and the planetary gearsets used in them, this is a very different application.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My head hurts. In a planetary, you can :
Lock the sun(center) gear
Lock the planet carrier(ICE crankshaft)
Lock the ring gear. But, if you do that, wheels cannot rotate.
OR a bit of all three sort of.

With the engine OFF, vehicle in motion, the planetary set(carrier) will(!must!) be sitting still. The ring gear, attached to the wheels, will be moving. The generator will be spinning, rotated by the planetary gears in the non-moving planetary carrier. At a pretty good clip. If the starter/generator is enabled, it could add torque.(if POWERED in the opposite direction, you get REVERSE)

With the engine OFF, vehicle stationary, the carrier will be still, unless moved by the ring or sun. Hold the ring gear, and power the sun, and you get a starter motor...

With the engine running, the planetary carrier and planet gears will be moving, and driving the ring gear, and to generate charging voltage, the sun gear must also rotate. All moving together, apparently. Not at a constant rate.
To provide the MOST traction effort by the ICE, the sun would be held stationary, to provide some generator capacity, the sun would be allowed some rotation, reducing the planetary output to the ring.

If the sun gear is held stationary, the planetary gears will direct full rpm to the ring gear, rpm divided by the ratio of planet:ring.

If I understand how this design works, the ICE will move the planet gears, and they will rotate in the carrier, depending on the rotation of the sun gear to allocate torque between the charging(generator rpm== sun gear rpm) and the traction(ring gear ratio depends on the rpms of the sun gear).
To anyone that does this for a living, did I get close or can you correct this post?
Yeah, my head hurts.

Brsbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 sta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Went to dinner with my niece she drives a 2021 escape hybrid with all 4 of us about 550lbs it seemed to have no problem. However I did notice more engine noise when the ice engine kicked in. Driving around the parking lot it was silent. If this is a indecation of the maverick drivetrain I am impressed.

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

Mrboom_5.0

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bullseyecustomautos.com
Vehicle(s)
02 Lightning, 18 850whp TT F150, 21 whippled F150

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just filled up with 93 and going to run half a tank through and do it again once it dries up!
Awesome! Off topic but I hope your modification plans include swapping the largest tire possible onto the truck. My XL just went into production and I would like to have a wheel and tire package ready and waiting when the truck arrives. 255/65r17s is what I am currently planning and it would be nice to have confirmation that the Maverick can support that with no rubbing….

Mrboom_5.0

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bullseyecustomautos.com
Vehicle(s)
02 Lightning, 18 850whp TT F150, 21 whippled F150
Awesome! Off topic but I hope your modification plans include swapping the largest tire possible onto the truck. My XL just went into production and I would like to have a wheel and tire package ready and waiting when the truck arrives. 255/65r17s is what I am currently planning and it would be nice to have confirmation that the Maverick can support that with no rubbing….
Not quite. Will be getting sporty wheels/tires

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Car and driver review showing eco boost 5.9 seconds and hybrid 7.8. Other reviews had eco over a second slower.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Car and driver review showing eco boost 5.9 seconds and hybrid 7.8. Other reviews had eco over a second slower.

Sofyan just did 6.4 seconds in the Ecoboost and 7.5 seconds with the Hybrid. Maybe C&D is averaging 3 runs in a row, as after the first run the battery on the hybrid is probably depleted.
Sponsored