First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat Lux hot pepper red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Before i got my 22 hybrid lariat lux, my toad was honda civic on a tow dolly. That's worked out ok, but I'm looking for something really quick to disconnect/reconnect.
After reading though this forum and seeing some ideas, I'm leaning towards the Roadmaster base plate and Demco Stay & Play DUO for brake system, and really no opinion on tow bars. So I'd like to hear from folks who've got more flat tow experience than me. Is there any adjustments that need made hook up to hook up? The Demco systems seems pretty complete, but what else would i need? Tow bars should i get the kind that slips into the reciever of the RV or a ball mount? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I researched this to flat tow my 2018 Chevy Colorado. One of the big reasons I bought the Maverick was because of its ability to be flat-towed.
I liked the Roadmaster Base Plate system. It was almost undetectable and gave me quick attach and release. I also went with their non-binding tow bar. They have several models. You can contact them to help you decide which one you need.
For the braking system, I used ReadyBrake. It can be used with any towbar (it attaches to your bar) and doesn't require anything extra in your engine compartment.
Here's the link for the ReadyBrake system.
https://nsarvproducts.com/collections/supplemental-braking-systems

OP
OP

processwrench

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I researched this to flat tow my 2018 Chevy Colorado. One of the big reasons I bought the Maverick was because of its ability to be flat-towed.
I liked the Roadmaster Base Plate system. It was almost undetectable and gave me quick attach and release. I also went with their non-binding tow bar. They have several models. You can contact them to help you decide which one you need.
For the braking system, I used ReadyBrake. It can be used with any towbar (it attaches to your bar) and doesn't require anything extra in your engine compartment.
Here's the link for the ReadyBrake system.
https://nsarvproducts.com/collections/supplemental-braking-systems
Yea i've seen a some of the discussions around this set up, what do you use for brake lights?

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea i've seen a some of the discussions around this set up, what do you use for brake lights?
eTrailer is a good place to look. Fair prices, excellent install videos. I just used their kit to engage the Maverick's lights.
https://www.etrailer.com/

By the way, Roadmaster does have the baseplate specifically for the Maverick. Not sure if others do yet.

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you don't want to mess with the electrical mods for controlling the vehicles lights you can use a surge kit from the NSA site, then just use magnetic lights that can be placed on the roof of the car and plugged into the 4 wire connector on back of the Mav. We will probably use the Roadmaster system. NSA also sells complete kits with tow bar of your choice. We will be flat towing our 2023 Mav if we ever get it.

https://nsatowbars.com/collections/all
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=magnetic+lights&furl=-pg-Tow_Bar_Wiring

Sponsored

OP
OP

processwrench

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you don't want to mess with the electrical mods for controlling the vehicles lights you can use a surge kit from the NSA site, then just use magnetic lights that can be placed on the roof of the car and plugged into the 4 wire connector on back of the Mav. We will probably use the Roadmaster system. NSA also sells complete kits with tow bar of your choice. We will be flat towing our 2023 Mav if we ever get it.

https://nsatowbars.com/collections/all
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=magnetic+lights&furl=-pg-Tow_Bar_Wiring
I'd rather mess around w/ wiring than having to mount/unmount magnetic lights. I really as short as possible conversion from tow to drive to tow

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I really don't like the hack for installing the under hood controller, manual attachment to tow vehicle brake pedal and cutting into wiring harness.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will continue to use my 15 yr old Brake Buddy Classic for supplemental braking, whenever my Maverick gets here. It has been easy to transfer to several different vehicles thart I've towed over the years.

My two towbars are both Roadmaster, so I will probably choose the Roadmaster baseplates over the Blue Ox. I'm waiting for the truck to actually get here before making my final choice. Probably in late Feb with my 1/13/23 build date.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No reason to cut into electrical system. Etrailer and others have the kit where you drill your taillight housing and install a bulb/socket. I have used that kit on my Cmax and the Jeep. NO electrical connections at all into factory system.
I use the Blue Ox tow bar/base plate ( they have one for the Maverick ). They are very good quality. I also use the Patriot Braking system but for the money they are a joke. Will be going with the Ready Brake kit fitted to the Maverick when/if I ever get it. If I had no setup in hand, I would probably just go with the Ready Brake entire system ( you use a Blue Ox base plate with the Ready Brake system).

jmcarter

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW ID.4. Maverick (finally!)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lot us waiting for a Hybrid for towing, ReadyBrake and Blue Ox for me.

Xbbqpitmaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Seltos S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Before you decide totally on the bar that slides into the receiver or ball mount, determine the height difference. I am including a recommendation that Blue-Ox have in their instruction booklet.

Ford Maverick Looking for recommendations for flat towing rig from folks who've used them FA85D51F-DB3A-4B6F-B827-20B23D2D8DC8
Sponsored