First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not as far as I could tell when I was adding LEDS to mine.

Code specifically states red only on the rear unless a signal, then it can be amber or yellow, no red on the front period, and no flashing/alternating/etc red white or blue at all.

I spent time because I added the sequential turn signal strip + white, and then running board LED turn signal indicators, it looks great, you can see it in the other thread.

Now other states, who knows but not my problem. Adding disconnects eventually to everything so I can unplug for any dealer visit if needed and if traveling I can unplug any as we'll just gonna be tedious and I have been lazy, everything is soldered and heatshrinked in place right now other than the headlight plug adapters, so I can remove them ALL except the running boards amber running light just by removing the adapters, that would take a fuse pull. .
It's not about if it is specifically against the law or code.
It's do you want to be pulled over all the time to argue about it?
Sponsored

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Alto Blue AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder how long before they go out. Many of the reviews state that they stop working after a few weeks.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not about if it is specifically against the law or code.
It's do you want to be pulled over all the time to argue about it?
Where I am at in Texas there are tons of trucks with all kinds of external / underbody / non OEM lighting, so the risk of getting pulled over for an officer that doesn't know the law is low. If that makes someone uncomfortable they can just skip the mod, but I refuse to not do something I want out of the risk of encountering an uninformed LEO.

Robert C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where I am at in Texas there are tons of trucks with all kinds of external / underbody / non OEM lighting, so the risk of getting pulled over for an officer that doesn't know the law is low. If that makes someone uncomfortable they can just skip the mod, but I refuse to not do something I want out of the risk of encountering an uninformed LEO.
I understand.
For me, with the job, family obligations, my charity, yardwork, keeping up the house, working on my other older cars - I have to choose my hobbies carefully.
Replacing perfectible good bulbs with LEDs or adding more isn't one of them.
And then maybe being pulled over for them?
That's why I bought a new Maverick.
Where do you guys find the time?

Sponsored

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I understand.
For me, with the job, family obligations, my charity, yardwork, keeping up the house, working on my other older cars - I have to choose my hobbies carefully.
Replacing perfectible good bulbs with LEDs or adding more isn't one of them.
And then maybe being pulled over for them?
That's why I bought a new Maverick.
Where do you guys find the time?

I understand the mindset, hence why all my audio is stock haha.

I'm a heathen bachelor that works from home with a solid income, makes things a bit easier.

( and for me at least, of course the hood strip was unnecessary , but I REALLY like the running board ambers, as they make me more visible at night and also have the sequential turn signal feature on those) total investment was probably ~$100 on everything and a few hours of a Saturday afternoon.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To be fair, the roads are by definition government property and thus they can put whatever limitations they want on it.
I know, and I get it, deep down I do. But it just seems like we have laws against things we shouldn't, and no laws against things we should have. There's no laws stating that all classic cars should be retrofitted with modern safety features for instance, people can drive around in a 50s land yacht with no airbags, ABS, crumple zones, or seat belts, and the law just turns the other cheek. But if you have different color headlights, or windows that are slightly too dark, that's a no no because it's too dangerous.

I had this discussion with a cop in my neighborhood recently. I said, my understanding is limo tinted windows are largely illegal because cops need to see inside in case something shady is going down. He said yes. To which I said, but if I wanted to commit some heinous crime, I wouldn't be driving around in a bright red mustang with blacked out windows drawing a ton of attention to myself, I'd be driving around in a bone stock white rav 4 that you'd never be able to trace. I even joked that if I wanted to rob a bank, I'd throw a police livery wrap on our explorer, and just drive by the cops looking for the getaway car.

Are some criminals dumb enough to draw attention to themselves? Absolutely, but the overwhelming majority of modified vehicles with limo tints and aftermarket lights are just owned by car enthusiasts who want to personalize their cars. If people with these cars are dumb enough to commit some terrible act, the modified and unique nature of their cars would help to track them down. It just feels like many of our laws aren't thought through for more than five minutes.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know, and I get it, deep down I do. But it just seems like we have laws against things we shouldn't, and no laws against things we should have. There's no laws stating that all classic cars should be retrofitted with modern safety features for instance, people can drive around in a 50s land yacht with no airbags, ABS, crumple zones, or seat belts, and the law just turns the other cheek. But if you have different color headlights, or windows that are slightly too dark, that's a no no because it's too dangerous.

I had this discussion with a cop in my neighborhood recently. I said, my understanding is limo tinted windows are largely illegal because cops need to see inside in case something shady is going down. He said yes. To which I said, but if I wanted to commit some heinous crime, I wouldn't be driving around in a bright red mustang with blacked out windows drawing a ton of attention to myself, I'd be driving around in a bone stock white rav 4 that you'd never be able to trace. I even joked that if I wanted to rob a bank, I'd throw a police livery wrap on our explorer, and just drive by the cops looking for the getaway car.

Are some criminals dumb enough to draw attention to themselves? Absolutely, but the overwhelming majority of modified vehicles with limo tints and aftermarket lights are just owned by car enthusiasts who want to personalize their cars. If people with these cars are dumb enough to commit some terrible act, the modified and unique nature of their cars would help to track them down. It just feels like many of our laws aren't thought through for more than five minutes.
Kev,
With all due respect…….
It’s is said that with age comes wisdom.
I promise you that some day you will see the light. PROMISE!
Please do not take umbrage. We’ve all been there. I know EXACTLY how you feel; how you think.
Like all of us old farts that are lucky enough to live long enough to claim the title, I wish you good luck and good judgement, at least long enough to……………?

Maverick0x2A

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put one of these on my 23 Tremor. It failed after a couple of months. I took it off a few months later and found a bunch of corrosion on the first chip where water had gotten into the end of the light.

If I were to try this mod again I'd put some extra silicone on the ends to make sure water didn't get in.

OP
OP
Jeffchen

Jeffchen

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put one of these on my 23 Tremor. It failed after a couple of months. I took it off a few months later and found a bunch of corrosion on the first chip where water had gotten into the end of the light.

If I were to try this mod again I'd put some extra silicone on the ends to make sure water didn't get in.
Thank you for sharing 👍🏻

Sponsored

Samcat13

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat '22'
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed this light strip under the hood and it is pretty impressive for the low cost. simple to install and gives you a "Knight Rider" effect when they start up :) I like it is completely covered by the hood.

Dynamic Scan Start Up DRL Strip - https://amzn.to/3Zzad9M

Hot wire to side marker light and ground to any ground under hood.

AltoXTLfx4

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Our vehicle laws need to be updated, or completely thrown out in some cases. If someone was trying to inpersonate a cop with flashing red and blue roof lights, that would be one thing, but banning those color of lights outright is a little ridiculous imo. Pretty sure if someone is unhinged enough to want to pretend to be a cop for nefarious purposes, laws like these won't stop them in the slightest.
I believe it’s also to prevent numbskulls from seeing them in a rear view or otherwise and panicking thinking it’s the popo

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here’s my hood light install. Got an extra all white LED strip so I put that on the bottom. The top one blinks amber when I use it as turn signal.
Sponsored