First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Decreased fuel economy makes sense on a fuel injected engine when the air flow is increased by up to 50% as the K&N add states. K&N promises more power but we know air doesn't burn so the way power is increased is the engine detects the increased air flow. With increased air, the air to fuel ratio is lean so the engine adds more fuel, resulting in more power. The only way that the increased air flow by it's self would give more power is if the engine was running rich and it needed more air to run efficiently. But we are buying a 2.0 liter turbocharged and intercooled engine giving loads of horsepower and 30 MPG so my guess is the AFR is just fine. Modern fuel injected engines adjust fuel amount constantly based on altitude, humidly and temperature as well as cam and engine timing, turbo boost and the starting and duration of the fuel injection and on some engine how many times an injector fires per combustion cycle. A K&N air filet is just another problem your Power Control Module gets to solve.
Y
Been installing K&N on all my vehicles for years, both sons do too. Never been concerned about performance claims, I just believe it filters better.
Same here - always noticeable better performance:
Most noticeable in smaller higher performance engines.
6 of us with Yamaha WR250R's dirt bikes (250cc/35 hp) - mine was always quicker and filter consistently cleaner on dusty/dirt roads. All my riding buddy eventually switched to K&N's.
Honda Element - minor improvement
Mini-Cooper (Works) Turbo charged noticeable improved performance.
Porsche 911 - noticeable
Porsche 911SC - """
Porsche 930 (aka 911 Turbo) - extremely noticeable.
If K&N filter is available for the Hbrid - mine will have one. Most people critical of K&N filters have never used them.....All K&N filters are reusable, clean & respray fluid, I've found I spend way less with them than disposable paper filters.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same here - always noticeable better performance:
Most noticeable in smaller engines.
6 of us with Yamaha WR250R's dirt bike (250cc/35 hp) - mine was always quicker and filter consistently cleaner on dusty/dirt roads. All my riding buddy switched to K&N's.
Honda Element - minor improvement
Mini-Cooper (Works) Turbo charged noticeble improved performance.
Porsche 911 - noticeable
Porsche 911SC - """
Porsche 930 (aka 911 Turbo) - extremely noticeable.
If K&N filter is available for the Hybrid - it will have one.
Not doubting your experience. But, have you considered "why" your filters are cleaner on dusty roads? And why that results in more power?

I like filters that get real dirty.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not doubting your experience. But, have you considered "why" your filters are cleaner on dusty roads? And why that results in more power?

I like filters that get real dirty.
I check them after lots dirty of roads (when on motorcycles), and cleaned them with provided cleaning spray chemical and re-oil them...takes only minutes. On a street car it doesn't need cleaning but maybe every 1 or 2 years. K&N filters are much thicker than multi-layer paper filters...my mechanic (with three 24 Hr Daytona wins, but has his own local street shop) got me to try K&N filters. The sticky oil you spray into the K&N filters definitely catches more debri/dust than paper filters...at least in my experience.

Last edited:

whtnrdy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Decreased fuel economy makes sense on a fuel injected engine when the air flow is increased by up to 50% as the K&N add states. K&N promises more power but we know air doesn't burn so the way power is increased is the engine detects the increased air flow. With increased air, the air to fuel ratio is lean so the engine adds more fuel, resulting in more power. The only way that the increased air flow by it's self would give more power is if the engine was running rich and it needed more air to run efficiently. But we are buying a 2.0 liter turbocharged and intercooled engine giving loads of horsepower and 30 MPG so my guess is the AFR is just fine. Modern fuel injected engines adjust fuel amount constantly based on altitude, humidly and temperature as well as cam and engine timing, turbo boost and the starting and duration of the fuel injection and on some engine how many times an injector fires per combustion cycle. A K&N air filet is just another problem your Power Control Module gets to solve.
The perfect AFR for gas is 14.7 to 1, air to gas. All gas ICE designed to run rich, in the 10-12 to 1 range so as to prevent predetonation, keep temps lower, etc. So if a computer is spitting out fuel to keep the AFR at 11:1, then giving it more air just causes more gas to be spit so the ratio stays at 11. A lot of people use this to argue that the computer prevents more power from being realized.

So I think you should look at it from another perspective with respect to "decreased fuel economy". Increase in air flow, which will happen at all RPM (it will just be much higher at higher RPM), will cause the introduction of more gas which will result in more available power at similar RPMs. At the same throttle input, more power will be made. So if you add a high flow filter, and you use the same throttle input, you are going to use more gas and feel more power at the detriment of lower mpg. However, you can now use less throttle to achieve the same power as before, which would result in less gas at the same effective power/acceleration.

Last edited:

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've tried K&N drop in filters on 3 different cars, tested them back to back at the strip, & never saw a difference. 2 V8's & one V6. A turbo engine might pull in more air, I would want to see an actual dyno test for this filter.

Sponsored

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because the hybrid is a myth
Yeah, I ordered one 2 weeks ago (in addition to my Lariat FE) just to see what happens. If I do get it, so much the better. I will sell to someone in an area that has high dealer markup to prevent them from ripping someone off.

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Reactions: JJC

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I always liked K&N, though no idea if it did much. Not planning on running one in the new Mav. I did have one in my 70’s Mav with a 302 that I’d have to take out and put a stock one in or it wouldn’t pass emissions.

Reactions: Mav

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Administrator thanks for the cleanup
Darn- missed it, and here I am with my popcorn. Ran K and N on my Falcon 302s because I could clean them. Lotta engine life comments here, did not see that issue, but cannot say I got more power either.

Reactions: Mav
Sponsored

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Found on Amazon. The only aftermarket high flow filter I’ve found yet. There’s more intake and turbo noise. It definitely sounds and feels like it’s breathing better. The best part of this filter is that it’s still enclosed and allows you to retain the factory airbox and plumbing that pulls fresh air from outside of the engine bay.

K&N Engine Air Filter: High Performance, Premium, Washable, Replacement Filter: Compatible with 2018-2020 FORD (Escape, Focus IV), 33-3131

This is a direct drop in replacement! Measurements are the same as the original I removed. I also checked with Ford Dealer Service Manager, before ordering and he said that this change would NOT void any warranty.

MaverickPR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With my 2.0 EB in my focus ST, it did VERY slightly drop mpg, more air means more fuel used, it always drop a couple mpg in the winter, dense cool air means more boost more fuel and of course more power! Don’t see why it would be much different in the Mav.
Would it trigger the service engine light if it’s running leaner or the module would self adjust?

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would it trigger the service engine light if it’s running leaner or the module would self adjust?
Mine runs the same as it always did. Hope I get a MPG increase. No service light.
Sponsored