First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST , Alto Blue Maverick awd fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Amazon reviewers said it will decrease MPG - that’s the trade off.
With my 2.0 EB in my focus ST, it did VERY slightly drop mpg, more air means more fuel used, it always drop a couple mpg in the winter, dense cool air means more boost more fuel and of course more power! Don’t see why it would be much different in the Mav.
Sponsored

MikeyCNY

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat TREMOR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With my 2.0 EB in my focus ST, it did VERY slightly drop mpg, more air means more fuel used, it always drop a couple mpg in the winter, dense cool air means more boost more fuel and of course more power! Don’t see why it would be much different in the Mav.
Interesting, hope to hear some more tests with it. You'd think more air would help it burn cleaner but that ratio is probably already computed for optimal burn at the factory.

jmcgon237

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Decreased fuel economy makes sense on a fuel injected engine when the air flow is increased by up to 50% as the K&N add states. K&N promises more power but we know air doesn't burn so the way power is increased is the engine detects the increased air flow. With increased air, the air to fuel ratio is lean so the engine adds more fuel, resulting in more power. The only way that the increased air flow by it's self would give more power is if the engine was running rich and it needed more air to run efficiently. But we are buying a 2.0 liter turbocharged and intercooled engine giving loads of horsepower and 30 MPG so my guess is the AFR is just fine. Modern fuel injected engines adjust fuel amount constantly based on altitude, humidly and temperature as well as cam and engine timing, turbo boost and the starting and duration of the fuel injection and on some engine how many times an injector fires per combustion cycle. A K&N air filet is just another problem your Power Control Module gets to solve.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Found on Amazon. The only aftermarket high flow filter I’ve found yet. There’s more intake and turbo noise. It definitely sounds and feels like it’s breathing better. The best part of this filter is that it’s still enclosed and allows you to retain the factory airbox and plumbing that pulls fresh air from outside of the engine bay.

K&N Engine Air Filter: High Performance, Premium, Washable, Replacement Filter: Compatible with 2018-2020 FORD (Escape, Focus IV), 33-3131

More intake and turbo woosh would be a good thing -)

Reactions: Mav

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
I always thought the O2 sensors kept the AFR optimal. So this KN we used must be that one simple rare mod allowed by the rules to my showroom stock endurance Miata that caused it to only average 6 MPG? ---- {NOT just being floored and braking all the time, compared to a stock filter and street use?}
Ford Maverick K&N 33-3131 drop in air filter installed on 2.0 Maverick 99 summit point

Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Installed one today...

You wont feel 2-3hp on the butt dyno.

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
I've seen evidence that oiled gauze air filters pass more silica and other fine abrasives than paper. Are you guys driving in conditions where giving up 2 hp is that important?
For that matter does the gauze element actually make a power difference on this vehicle?

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Decreased fuel economy makes sense on a fuel injected engine when the air flow is increased by up to 50% as the K&N add states.
Anyone want a bridge? I got one for sale!

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The filter will not change MPG. It may ever so slightly change horpower at wide open throttle.

Reactions: Guv

Jbuys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mazda 626, 05 Ford Escape 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is wish there was one avaiable for the Hybrid but K&N does not have a part number yet!
They are actually the same air filter. Sure it says they are different in the Owners Manual but if you cross the filter numbers over to say Wix they both cross to the same number in the Wix a WA-10981. Cross that to a K&N and its goes to the 33-3131.

Sponsored

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
An air filter can only help horsepower if the Filter becomes the airflow restriction.
90% of real world driving with a stock filter never creates this problem as the throttle blades are not always WOT and the RPM is not requiring excessive CFM of air.
ultimately the program using feedback from its sensors dictate power output for a given parameter but where you get that air (cold=dense=power) has an effect and at some point the volume the intake system can provide will limit output if overwhelmed.
Realistically air flow volume limitations are never exceeded In legal driving And a drop in picks up air in the same place as factory so what’s the bottom line?
My opinion on what is happening is an owner installed a performance component, yes it flows more - not that it’s using that flow - and the motor now emits more engine intake noise so the driver wants to hear the new engine honk by using more right foot.
Nothing wrong with that, but call it for what it is.
It isn’t making more power at the same parameter, driving habits are making it an apples and oranges comparison…
If you want to see actual performance improvement do a prior installation and post installation run on a Dyno. The same Dyno, on the same day, at the same temperature, with the same operator, beginning and ending at the same RPM’s, in the same gear using the same correction and smoothing factors.
Any numbers in improvement I doubt you could feel in a 3700 pound truck at realistic RPM’s.
also, with these filters it’s really easy to punch a very small hole in it with water pressure or a brush while cleaning it, do that and not notice it could cost heavy in the long run so keep an eye on them.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been installing K&N on all my vehicles for years, both sons do too. Never been concerned about performance claims, I just believe it filters better.

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Somebody needs to tell mclaren Ferrari and porsche to start using oiled air filters. Look up ISO 5011 test on diesel engine filters. Good luck with your long term engine wear.