Sponsored

I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this...

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Big Kahuna
Have you made a request to ARE about building a topper? If not, I will ask my local ARE dealer about it and let you know.
Thanks
Yeah I've been bugging them but wouldn't hurt to have other people inquire. Sounds like they are planning on it but don't know what that means for a time frame.
Sponsored

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I've been bugging them but wouldn't hurt to have other people inquire. Sounds like they are planning on it but don't know what that means for a time frame.
I e-mailed ARE the other day and their reply was;

Hello,

Yes, these are in design and testing stage at this time. We currently have no ETA until ALL testing has passed....
It went on to say that once testing is done they will release dates and to stay in touch with your local dealer for ordering. As of right now my plan is to wait for one to become available and get the OTR option. I am thinking the CX Classic with the OTR option would be very nice and come in around $1,000 less than the SnugTop.

Vitamin G

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I definitely want a canopy, but the price and function of what I'm seeing is not worth it. I like the photoshopped look that was posted. I also like mine to be taller than the cab to provide extra space. The vertical back allows for that as well. Canopy manufacturers take note!

In response to the "Why not just buy an SUV?":
A wet dog in the back of an SUV doesn't excite me. Carrying gas cans, chainsaws, anything with fuel inside a cab, no thanks. Carrying anything that gets dirty....firewood, bags of cement, garbage cans....I just prefer that to be in a different space.
Yeah I agree. SUV spaces and truck beds are completely different. Truck beds have the advantage of truly getting dirty and being able to be power washed out whereas interior of SUV is a completely different thing.

If you happen to live in a place where you have to take your trash to transfer site or dump station putting trash inside your SUV is a no go. Having a truck bed is much better.

Plus with the ability to lift a cap off of the truck bed opens up the doors to haul odd shaped cargo that might not be possible in SUV.

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FYI this message I got from smartcap says they don't have plans for one right now.

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... Screenshot_20220315-150735

Sponsored

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That news sucks on the SmartCap. When I inquired right when the first Mavericks started shipping they said they were definitely interested and likely. So apparently that changed.

Also, I think you folks that want a cap with a roof more in-line with the Maverick roof may regret it. I have the SnugTop on mine and the view out the back is pretty tiny. I got used to it and it’s mostly fine, but I would NOT want it to be any smaller. Part of the problem is definitely that the glass is masked pretty high from the tailgate, but that can only be a LITTLE bit better on a different top. But if you get maybe another inch down (I don’t think that much is possible, but 3/4” probably is) and lose an inch or more off the top, you’re going to HATE the view out the back. I mean HATE it. I’m fairly convinced now that I have one that part of the reason for the rise in the SnugTop is to get a reasonable view out the back.

And just as important, and maybe moreso, is that even with the rise, the space you have in the back is LOW. I’ve had shells on a variety of trucks from F-150, F-250, first gen Tundra, and others, and this one is TINY. I would implore any of you, before you order a flat top shell, SEE A SNUGTOP IN PERSON FIRST. You might change your mind. In fact, I’m pretty sure you will. No amount of photos or video will do it justice, I don’t think. See it in person.

—Donnie

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That news sucks on the SmartCap. When I inquired right when the first Mavericks started shipping they said they were definitely interested and likely. So apparently that changed.

Also, I think you folks that want a cap with a roof more in-line with the Maverick roof may regret it. I have the SnugTop on mine and the view out the back is pretty tiny. I got used to it and it’s mostly fine, but I would NOT want it to be any smaller. Part of the problem is definitely that the glass is masked pretty high from the tailgate, but that can only be a LITTLE bit better on a different top. But if you get maybe another inch down (I don’t think that much is possible, but 3/4” probably is) and lose an inch or more off the top, you’re going to HATE the view out the back. I mean HATE it. I’m fairly convinced now that I have one that part of the reason for the rise in the SnugTop is to get a reasonable view out the back.

And just as important, and maybe moreso, is that even with the rise, the space you have in the back is LOW. I’ve had shells on a variety of trucks from F-150, F-250, first gen Tundra, and others, and this one is TINY. I would implore any of you, before you order a flat top shell, SEE A SNUGTOP IN PERSON FIRST. You might change your mind. In fact, I’m pretty sure you will. No amount of photos or video will do it justice, I don’t think. See it in person.

—Donnie
So just get a multi camera rear view mirror!

Arcenannie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mavericktruckclub.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can now order the ARE DCU topper for the Maverick. You can choose from different heights as well as windows (sliding windows, etc) as well as anything else you'd like including fabric inside and lighting. I did a build out of a 36" one with half door with window, sliding windows on both sides and front and fabric inside. It will give me about 56" inside, which is nice. Those of you that worry about gas mileage, I am looking at a wind deflector to put on the cab of the Maverick that should lesson that issue. Oh, my build came out to a little more than $4,000. A good wind deflector is around $500.

Arcenannie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mavericktruckclub.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can now order the ARE DCU topper for the Maverick. You can choose from different heights as well as windows (sliding windows, etc) as well as anything else you'd like including fabric inside and lighting. I did a build out of a 36" one with half door with window, sliding windows on both sides and front and fabric inside. It will give me about 56" inside, which is nice. Those of you that worry about gas mileage, I am looking at a wind deflector to put on the cab of the Maverick that should lesson that issue. Oh, my build came out to a little more than $4,000. A good wind deflector is around $500.
I'm going to treat it like a camper. Most campers would put you at least this tall above the cab of the truck.

Sponsored

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wait, what? That’s more than 16” taller than the SnugTop! So nearly 20” taller than the back of the cab. Wow. That’s going to look….interesting.

And FWIW, your wind deflector may help a little with noise, but whatever your mileage loss is *just* with the shell you might get 5% of it back with the wind deflector. Maybe. You’re increasing your trucks “frontal area” by a LOT and no amount of shape can fix much of that. And the shape that would most help it would be something on the BACK, not the front. You might literally be increasing your frontal area by 20%. This is going to pretty significantly affect your mileage, I’ll bet. Well, if you do much driving over 50MPH it will, anyway.

Most of the complaints I see about the SnugTop are 1) ugly, 2) too tall, and 3) price. Congratulations, I think you‘re going to outdo the SnugTop on all of these! (And on the ”ugly” it might seem like I’m making fun of you and I’m really honestly not…function wins over “ugly” to me and you will definitely have something FAR more functional, so there is that advantage, anyway).

In a weird way I’m looking forward to pics of this.

—Donnie

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Talked to a dealer yesterday and they are taking preorders on the V and MX so should be some normal versions coming :) can’t wait to see what they look like. Supposed to be available before summer.

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd really like something utilitarian but cool. Although I really want to like it, the ARE DCU just seems too tall and dorky fitting.

I can't decide if I should build this or not...on one hand it would suit my needs for the time being but on the other hand it would be pretty annoying if a nice option hit the market later this year.

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... Screenshot_71

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... Screenshot_72

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Same response as others from ARE -

Hello

These Fiberglass units are in testing/design stage for the New 2022 Ford Mavericks. We do apologize we have no ETA at this time. Once all testing has passed our Engineers will release a date for production. The Aluminum Commercial Caps only are now available.

All dealers will be notified when this date is released for the new 2022 Ford Maverick Fiberglass Caps.

Thank You

Consumer Affairs

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I spent the last week looking at all the different canopy models on other trucks as well as the ones snugtop made for the maverick and I'm not seeing anything that really matches the boxy style of the maverick.

I tried photoshopping a bunch of different ones on there and none of them look right to me. Even a bigger problem is anytime I added one with matching paint colors it made it look like a weird SUV. Finally today I did a quick mock up of a boxy topper that matches the plastic trim on the truck bed and I immediately knew that was the answer.

ford-maverick-with-bed-cap.jpg
Can anyone photoshop a black OEM Snugcap on a Carbonized Gray truck? While I think matching the matte black trim would be slick, maybe a black on gray gets me close enough?

Thanks, HRG
Sponsored