Sponsored

I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this...

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I spent the last week looking at all the different canopy models on other trucks as well as the ones snugtop made for the maverick and I'm not seeing anything that really matches the boxy style of the maverick.

I tried photoshopping a bunch of different ones on there and none of them look right to me. Even a bigger problem is anytime I added one with matching paint colors it made it look like a weird SUV. Finally today I did a quick mock up of a boxy topper that matches the plastic trim on the truck bed and I immediately knew that was the answer.

You have the truck that has these cool lines and it uses the trim to help define the shape - by adding a canopy/topper that matches the trim it doesn't interfere with the color/lines of the truck. The topper becomes just another accent rather than trying to be part of the body of the truck. If they can paint it with a linex type material that would match the plastic color of the truck that would be awesome!!!

I like the look of the cab high canopy but I think it would only offer about 18" of height. Still that would give me 38" total height inside which would be plenty for my needs. Just need to keep my gear dry and locked up.

Now I just need someone to make one and I'll give them my $3500.

This actually makes huge sense for the topper/canopy company as they'd only have to make it in the one color and it would look good on any of the trucks!

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... Maverick-Canopy

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... ford-maverick-with-bed-ca

Another photo edit -

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... Maverick-Gray-with-Canopy-lo--profile
Sponsored

Last edited:

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you've nailed it!

I like the rack on top too.

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
I spent the last week looking at all the different canopy models on other trucks as well as the ones snugtop made for the maverick and I'm not seeing anything that really matches the boxy style of the maverick.

I tried photoshopping a bunch of different ones on there and none of them look right to me. Even a bigger problem is anytime I added one with matching paint colors it made it look like a weird SUV. Finally today I did a quick mock up of a boxy topper that matches the plastic trim on the truck bed and I immediately knew that was the answer.

You have the truck that has these cool lines and it uses the trim to help define the shape - by adding a canopy/topper that matches the trim it doesn't interfere with the color/lines of the truck. The topper becomes just another accent rather than trying to be part of the body of the truck. If they can paint it with a linex type material that would match the plastic color of the truck that would be awesome!!!

I like the look of the cab high canopy but I think it would only offer about 18" of height. Still that would give me 38" total height inside which would be plenty for my needs. Just need to keep my gear dry and locked up.

This actually makes huge sense for the topper/canopy company as they'd only have to make it in the one color and it would look good on any of the trucks!
Here you go. They're expensive but they'll probably outlast the truck itself. RSI Smart Cap
They don't have anything that says they'll make a model for the maverick yet, but it looks like they do F-150 and Ranger caps. Wouldn't be surprised if they made one for the Mav if demand was high enough.

Last edited:

docroland

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am looking at the same SmartCap from RSI but it is a little bit early. Below is the email I got from them when I asked about Ford Maverick 2022
Jake Plappert <[email protected]>
Tue, Sep 28, 1:22 PM (3 days ago)
to me

Thanks docroland!

We don't have plans yet, but please sign up for our newsletter for any new releases. Thanks
Jake
Plappert

SMARTCAP

Forged in Africa. Made for Planet Earth.

Regional Sales Manager

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here you go. They're expensive but they'll probably outlast the truck itself. RSI Smart Cap
They don't have anything that says they'll make a model for the maverick yet, but it looks like they do F-150 and Ranger caps. Wouldn't be surprised if they made one for the Mav if demand was high enough.
Yeah I emailed them too, it's where I got the image I used in the photoshop :) I still think they'd need to color/texture match it to the Maverick plastic trim to really make it perfect for the truck.

The image below gives a good idea of how it matches up with trim along a bed but they'd need to adjust the shape a bit more and I think the back would need to be more straight.

I'd rather Leer did it though so it might be cheaper as they make more canopies. If they just do one color/finish to match the trim and the paint is a linex type plastic they would save a ton of money and wouldn't have to worry about the finish, blemishes, etc. as much. One canopy to fit every single Ford Maverick made. That's how I would do it.

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... RSI_SmartCap_Ford_Ranger_2020-10-07-09-41-30_004-2048x1536

Sponsored

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
Yeah I emailed them too, it's where I got the image I used in the photoshop :) I still think they'd need to color/texture match it to the Maverick plastic trim to really make it perfect for the truck.
You could consider coating it with some sort of texturizer to match. Something line Rhino Liner maybe? A friend of mine coated his entire truck in Rhino Liner and it was hilarions. I hated it but it sure was durable.

That's hilarious that you got the picture from them. Uncanny. 😂

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

YES! 100% agree that the color matched caps look weird on the maverick, and matching the trim color makes a ton of sense re: stocking costs. I did a 2 minute photoshop on the ford topper a few days ago because I wanted to see a darker grey cap on cactus grey.

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... 1633121727437

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the OP's topper better, but your photoshop improves the Ford topper substantially!

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those look nice, but using stainless steel they must weight a bunch.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Maverick-Canopy.jpg

ford-maverick-with-bed-cap.jpg
Like yours better than Ford’s and I’m not a topper guy.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know the measurements for the height of the top of the cab MINUS tailgate height so we know how much volume their might be with a canopy that matches the cab height?

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Still waiting for A.R.E to make a little topper/canopy like they did for the Subaru Baja. Just need it to match the trim color :)

Ford Maverick I've decided a canopy/topper for my Maverick needs to look like this... Bajacanopy1

Vitamin G

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Maverick-Canopy.jpg

ford-maverick-with-bed-cap.jpg
It looks a lot better than the snugtop. Something about the snugtop just doesn't work. It does the job I suppose but it just doesn't follow the Maverick design.

Good Photoshop work. 👍
Sponsored