Sponsored

Is this part safe to remove or is there an aftermarket replacement or does it not matter?

OP
OP

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To get the most power from the air intake system would be to install a more efficient (larger) intercooler. I would leave everything as is. Leave it alone.:)
That seems to be a repeated opinion. If I was going for a performance build that seems to be the first place to start.
Sponsored

Dodeboost

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wasnā€™t trying to be sarcastic. I made my own intake with a AEM dry flow filter for about $80. Did air intake temp testing too and the stock box was only about 5-10 degrees cooler than my intake which pulls air from the engine bay. It did get a little hotter when sitting at a red light but recovers pretty quick once you get moving again. Buschur claims 26whp from his intake, which is basically the same as the one I made. So itā€™s not just for noises. I see it as an added bonus. The intercooler makes sense too, Iā€™ll probably do that when the warranty is up.

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
where would I find this info? Honestly, I don't know where to look besides YouTube and the contradictory results are astounding to me. I want to better educate myself but there seems to be nowhere to turn for unbiased information.
The internet is flooded with people trying to sell things.

When I was researching cold air intakes a few years back I came across a test that showed modern factory intakes flowed just as much air as any aftermarket intake, and the downside to the aftermarket intake was that it brought in hot engine bay air.

Are you running 91 or 93 octane fuel? If not, you'll gain 10-15hp from that. The 250hp rating is based on premium fuel. Anything less and the engine will retard timing and boost, resulting in decreased power.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That seems to be a repeated opinion. If I was going for a performance build that seems to be the first place to start.
On my Buick GN I upgraded my intercooler and has a substantial gain in horse power. However I don't think It is really worth your time on the Maverick. And I believe the job is difficult.

2seater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Reatta, Ford Ranger, Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not directly connected to a Maverick, but the only way to know for sure what the flow potential of any system is, is to test it. I have had a homebuilt flowbench for many years, capacity of ~600cfm at 28"wc. In most cases, the factory stuff is highly developed, and what looks right to the casual eye is completely wrong. Bare round sharp edged holes flow poorly. Contrary to how it looks, air falls into an opening from the sides, almost zero air comes straight in. You can actually test that by simply holding a flat stiff plate in front of an opening drawing air in. You will have to get surprisingly close before it will impact the flow into the opening. There is lots of stuff on the net about the best shapes for flow into an opening, it costs nothing, and perhaps a discovery will be made. Flow benches aren't only for testing heads.
Ford Maverick Is this part safe to remove or is there an aftermarket replacement or does it not matter? Ram pipe shapes

Sponsored

Random

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Maverick Hybrid FE Lux & ā€˜11Toyota Sienna XLE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
where would I find this info? Honestly, I don't know where to look besides YouTube and the contradictory results are astounding to me. I want to better educate myself but there seems to be nowhere to turn for unbiased information.
College, preferably around Detroit

2seater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Reatta, Ford Ranger, Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have my Maverick yet, but the location of the inlet in the photo looks like that should be a nice high pressure area for an air intake. Again, the only way to know for sure is to test. A simple u-tube manometer with probes in the area of air inlet vs inside the air box or just about any location will tell you if you are gaining or losing. Almost zero dollars to make one.
Not being a know it all, just suggestions from a guy that has spent years being wrong ;)

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The speed of air flowing into the intake of a turbocharge engine is not as critical as it would be in a natural asperated engine because at 0 vacuum boost begins and the turbo does its work however air intake temperature is important in a turbo engine as cooling down the cylinder temperatures allows for higher boost pressures to be used to increase HP. This is why intercoolers are used.

Last edited:

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

mav intake.jpg

This part of the intake is very narrow. IT seems like it would be a restriction to airflow. It is possible to remove it and just leave to hole into the airbox. Or is there an aftermarket replacement that is a wider pipe? Or is it not worth it for a stock engine.

I know there will be 100 different opinions and thoughts on this. I don't want to get made fun of or demeaned. I have heard that fresh air outside is possibly better than engine bay air, but with an open airbox it might get much more air with this piece missing. The best option seems to be an aftermarket piece that allows for much more air, but I couldn't find if there is one.

There seems to be a shortage of filters in my area. Nobody has them. My dealer is stocking aftermarket cabin air filters. All the local parts stores could not even order me a filter. K&N what the only thing available. I found a green filter and installed it. Their claim is they are a middle ground between airflow and K&N letting everything in. They claim to filter to 5 microns. I hope it is true, but with the extra airflow they say they allow this funnel seems to be a choke point.

Maybe I am just bore today and over thinking it, maybe I can get an extra 3-5 HP. I don't know and am asking for honest, non-insulting advice or help.
Ask this guy:
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ost-awd-shadow-black-build-in-progress.26547/
Ford Maverick Is this part safe to remove or is there an aftermarket replacement or does it not matter? 1675739596454

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Keep the stock tube but flip it around and heat it and bend it to fit into a nice slot on top of the hood. Ram Air Grabber hood baby!

Sponsored

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
mav intake.jpg

This part of the intake is very narrow. IT seems like it would be a restriction to airflow. It is possible to remove it and just leave to hole into the airbox. Or is there an aftermarket replacement that is a wider pipe? Or is it not worth it for a stock engine.

I know there will be 100 different opinions and thoughts on this. I don't want to get made fun of or demeaned. I have heard that fresh air outside is possibly better than engine bay air, but with an open airbox it might get much more air with this piece missing. The best option seems to be an aftermarket piece that allows for much more air, but I couldn't find if there is one.

There seems to be a shortage of filters in my area. Nobody has them. My dealer is stocking aftermarket cabin air filters. All the local parts stores could not even order me a filter. K&N what the only thing available. I found a green filter and installed it. Their claim is they are a middle ground between airflow and K&N letting everything in. They claim to filter to 5 microns. I hope it is true, but with the extra airflow they say they allow this funnel seems to be a choke point.

Maybe I am just bore today and over thinking it, maybe I can get an extra 3-5 HP. I don't know and am asking for honest, non-insulting advice or help.
There are sponsors here that sells items you want and throughout the forum are several posts of homemade ones that look great as well as just the replacement filter k&n part#ā€™s, etc. and yes I see you asked for help without being beat up šŸ˜‰ thatā€™s the joys of social media.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™m sure something better will be out soonā€¦. But then again, Iā€™m still waiting on led taillight options. Hopefully the aftermarket will speed up their testing

AMCfoxbody

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in the 'leave it alone' camp, but that's not what OP wants to hear.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Changing the air intake system in the Maverick with a small displacement 4 cylinder engine is really not worth the time for a hardly noticeable gain. Ramming the air into the intake plenum will be accomplish by the turbo charger starting to spool up at 0 vacuum and then turning into pressure (boost). It will pull all the air the engine needs. You would gain more HP by using a high performance inter cooler. Manipulating the waist gate adjustment on engines would be another way to increase HP however I would not do it to the Ford 2.0L with out expensive modifications.:)
Sponsored

Last edited: