Sponsored

Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there?

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For what I have seen the answer is no (not much).
What I am looking for is a proper Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) tire that would look at bit nicer than the (boring) ones available in 225/65R17 235/65R17. I may even find other rims if there was something out there decent.

The all terrain or mud and snow ones are quite nicer looking. But clearly don't' work as well as a proper winter tires even if some can be studdable.
I read that the 3PMSF does not replace the M+S designation as both can often be found on the same tire.

Any idea which tire\brand is available for the maverick?
I really like this from goodyear

Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670019241632

The only one I found is this scorpion from pirelli, that is... ok

Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670021332075
Sponsored

Last edited:

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just my two centsā€¦. I wanted cool looking AT tires on my Tacoma 4x4. Paid about a grand to get them and practically gave away the stock tires. After a few weeks I realized that the new tires were louder, made the ride worse, cost me about 2mpg (which was significant on the Tacoma), and didnā€™t do as well in the rain. But they looked cool.

For the next 45k miles I eagerly looked forward to going back to boring, better riding tires.

IwannaMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL Ecoboost Fwd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have these on my AWD Sorrento that I drive to work. I have 28k miles on them and are barely worn any. I have the in 235/65R17. Not sure there available in 225 or not. They look more aggressive in person than in the picture and there pretty quite on the road.

Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? Screenshot_20221202-173738

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Falken Wildpeaks and Toyo AT3's are both solid choices and 3/peak rated-

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Toyo AT3ā€™s in 245/65/17 look aggressive and has fantastic ride quality on my FX4.

Sponsored

mktmgrjrm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's what I bought for mine. Will put them on if I ever get my Mav.
Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670024591347

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not sure on the actual snow rating, but I just switched to Falken Wildpeak M/Ts after having the A/Ts on my Dodge. So far this winter they've been really impressive. 6" deep sticky mud didn't even phase them. We've had rain turn to ice over night a couple time and never had an inch of slip even trying to break them free on a back road. Only had 3/4" of snow so far so I can't attest to deep snow yet. I might have dropped 1 mpg but that could just be from extended idling time in the morning and while checking traps each day. Road noise was the same as the A/Ts. Pretty damn quiet for a heavy lug mud tire.

I had the Wildpeak A/Ts as my last set. They did last nearly 60k miles so zero complaints there. First winter they were absolutely unstoppable on snow and ice. Mud they were ok but not great. By the second winter with around 20k on them, they were absolutely worthless. Dusting of snow and they were like wearing ice skates. Mud? Don't go in anything deeper than 1/2". I'll never run a set of them again.

I don't know all the sizes of the Wildpeak M/Ts, but I'd sure see if you can get them from my experience so far.

OP
OP
Peps

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not sure on the actual snow rating, but I just switched to Falken Wildpeak M/Ts after having the A/Ts on my Dodge. So far this winter they've been really impressive. 6" deep sticky mud didn't even phase them. We've had rain turn to ice over night a couple time and never had an inch of slip even trying to break them free on a back road. Only had 3/4" of snow so far so I can't attest to deep snow yet. I might have dropped 1 mpg but that could just be from extended idling time in the morning and while checking traps each day. Road noise was the same as the A/Ts. Pretty damn quiet for a heavy lug mud tire.

I had the Wildpeak A/Ts as my last set. They did last nearly 60k miles so zero complaints there. First winter they were absolutely unstoppable on snow and ice. Mud they were ok but not great. By the second winter with around 20k on them, they were absolutely worthless. Dusting of snow and they were like wearing ice skates. Mud? Don't go in anything deeper than 1/2". I'll never run a set of them again.

I don't know all the sizes of the Wildpeak M/Ts, but I'd sure see if you can get them from my experience so far.
Thank you for the information. I checked and also the Wildpeak M/Ts are 3 peaks rated as well. for what it count this is the rating for the M/T vs A/T. The M/T excels in off-road but is reported by Falken as average on snow.

Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670037107975

The A/T score better but your statement on deterioration is concerning.
Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670037245315

Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670036888253

OP
OP
Peps

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just my two centsā€¦. I wanted cool looking AT tires on my Tacoma 4x4. Paid about a grand to get them and practically gave away the stock tires. After a few weeks I realized that the new tires were louder, made the ride worse, cost me about 2mpg (which was significant on the Tacoma), and didnā€™t do as well in the rain. But they looked cool.

For the next 45k miles I eagerly looked forward to going back to boring, better riding tires.
I plan to have two set of tires mounted on wheels and swap them each year after 2000-3000 miles of winter. What you said is totally true but .... :)

OP
OP
Peps

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Falken Wildpeaks and Toyo AT3's are both solid choices and 3/peak rated-
Indeed they are great looking tires.
The Toyo open country a/t comes both in 245 and the standard 225/65/R17. Maybe the smaller one to compromise, to reduce a bit the vibration and comfort that is shown as a bit of a weakness for the toyo. But they are the best looking tire I feel

Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670037658167

Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670038153745

Ford Maverick Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there? 1670038006320

+++++++++++++++

Sponsored

Up North

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 tow package
I got some b.f. Goodrich trail terrain t/a tires at Costco 3 snowflake. We got 6 inches of snow last week and they went through it very well. Somewhat noisier but not terrible. Mileage has dropped about 1+1/2 mpg but weather is colder too. Not cheap about 900 out the door. I may put the contis back on in summer or else sell them. Happy with the trail terrains so far

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I run the Goodyear Duratracs(going on 12 years now) on a different vehicle, and have run various brands of full mud terrain tires before too. The Duratrac (original posterā€™s photo) is a nice heavy duty commercial grade tire with aggressive treadā€”that I pull off every Fall and swap for proper winter tires. The Duratracs have very little siping and the tread is too hard for our slippery winter conditions. Good or bad, proper modern snow tires just donā€™t look super aggressive. The Duratracs and nice fancy summer wheels go back on every Spring.

Iā€™ve run many brands and models of (non-studded) winter tires over the years. My favorites are usually the various Blizzak models from Bridgestone or Nokian such as the Hakkapeliitta (possibly my favorite, but usually pricy). Currently, I am running Cooper Discoverer M+S on one of my vehicles (last 4 winters). They are the most ā€œaggressiveā€ winter tire Iā€™ve run, including the deepest tread pattern Iā€™ve used, but they just arenā€™t as good as the others.

In my own humble experience, much winter traction and safety comes from a tireā€™s ability to handle icy conditions (even if itā€™s just a short patch of unexpected ice at a stop sign on otherwise dry roads). The soft rubber compounds, and tons of siping (biting edges), seem to make for the best traction. Deep and wide lugs can be great for digging into snow (and can consequently bury your vehicle in your own ruts). Furthermore, the siping in modern snow tires tends to pack in little bits of sand and gravelā€”which give your tires a bit of a sandpaper-like grip. But, thatā€™s just my experience.

While my ā€˜23 Maverick will probably never get built, I will be looking for the very same thing in a getting a set of dedicated winter tires (and winter wheels that will corrode and get ugly). Whatever comes on my mythical unicorn truck from the factory will just be summer use only.

Last edited:

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Itā€™s winter, if your concerned enough to be buying winter tires then get the ones that perform the best, ā€œmost aggressive lookingā€ shouldnā€™t even be a factor.

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for the information. I checked and also the Wildpeak M/Ts are 3 peaks rated as well. for what it count this is the rating for the M/T vs A/T. The M/T excels in off-road but is reported by Falken as average on snow.

1670037107975.png

The A/T score better but your statement on deterioration is concerning.
1670037245315.png

1670036888253.png
Interesting information. For what it's worth so far today I've been impressed with them in snow. Woke up at 5:00 to 2" in the ground and it's still coming down. Roads at 7:00 were hard packed snow as plows and sanders don't hit my end of the valley till late afternoon. I romped on the throttle pulling into the road and had traction control kick in for about 10 yards but it stayed straight. About 6" so far and zero slippage out checking coyote traps off road.

As a side note I also found a pair of take off wheels years ago that I put my winter tires on. Swap back to straight up summer tires in March-October. I can usually get about 3-4 winters out of a set. It only gets expensive when I need new winter tires in the Fall and new summer tires in the Spring. For a few years in between, the yearly tire expenses are great though.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Itā€™s winter, if your concerned enough to be buying winter tires then get the ones that perform the best, ā€œmost aggressive lookingā€ shouldnā€™t even be a factor.
Agreed. I respect wanting to look cool and all, but that is not the point of a winter tire.

Buy winter tires based on winter road performance, not looks. Save that for spring/summer/fall, when it's less likely to result in an accident.
Sponsored