Sponsored

Is there any aggressive looking winter tire out there?

Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve had the BFG. Compound in cold weather lost traction but they are good in snow, nice in the summer.
tried Toyo AT3 last year and learned the hard way that they need rotation sooner than 5k miles. They cupped at 4k and made more noise, lost performance.
wildpeaks we’re good but sold rig before winter hit.
Going with crossclimate 2’s this time around. Not an all terrain but It’s 3peak winter and a great summer tire. No need to swap seasons
Sponsored

TomD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailsport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For what I have seen the answer is no (not much).
What I am looking for is a proper Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) tire that would look at bit nicer than the (boring) ones available in 225/65R17 235/65R17. I may even find other rims if there was something out there decent.

The all terrain or mud and snow ones are quite nicer looking. But clearly don't' work as well as a proper winter tires even if some can be studdable.
I read that the 3PMSF does not replace the M+S designation as both can often be found on the same tire.

Any idea which tire\brand is available for the maverick?
I really like this from goodyear

1670019241632.png

The only one I found is this scorpion from pirelli, that is... ok

1670021332075.png
Will the aforementioned tire affect MPG. That tread will be really noisy.
The tread is similar to what is on my Trailhawk. I just about need ear plugs when driving it.

nhoffman1987

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the Scorpion AT+ on my last truck. Rode great, quiet and performed better in snow compared to the OE Goodyear SR-A's. I would buy them again.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you are cutting into large amounts (10+ inches) of fresh and fluffy snow, you are better off with more siped and soft rubber on the ground than something "aggressive looking". Snow tires are not deep mud tires that some people think are somehow better in snow. Those aggressive tires in most situations will actually give you less grip than your summer tires.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going with crossclimate 2’s this time around. Not an all terrain but It’s 3peak winter and a great summer tire. No need to swap seasons
The Cross Climate 2's are an excellent choice. Best all-around tire I've come across. Spendy though.
Sponsored