Sponsored

Is the Maverick worth it? Aligning expectations.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Wow! A loaded question for sure. 75 years ago, when you bought a refrigerator you expected it to last for most of a generation. Oftentimes they did. Manufacturers wanted to build a following in a world of growing competition. Then corporations figured out that approach was bad business, and changed over to the concept of planned obsolescence. Why sell one refrigerator every 25 years when you could sell two? The Maverick is a product of the latter concept, but appears to have good bones (time will tell). Depending upon how well you treat it, and your luck, it could turn out to be one of the best purchases of your life.

I’m one of those stupid people who ordered every bell and whistle to be installed on this “cheap” truck. Why? Well, I generally buy mid-level trucks for my business, but they also serve as my daily driver. My business needs changed in the last few years, and I’m giving up my van for this peanut truck because of it’s versatility. It can be a truck that hauls 4 x 8’s if necessary, and at other times it can pretend it’s a car. During those “car” times I will have a better chance of enticing the wife to go in my vehicle, instead of her BMW (her driving annoys and terrifies me), because it has many of the same comforts and conveniences she is accustomed to. A heated seat is a powerful argument! Also, it’s very impressive to ride in her Beemer with it’s stunning luxury and equipment (most of which she hasn’t the faintest knowledge of how to operate). Since I can equip this cheap little truck with much of what she enjoys for less than half the price she paid, why the hell not?
Sponsored

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
For what it is, a functional, major systems reliable, practical, cost effective, placeholder until electric becomes more mainstream and safe with solid state batteries, my Maverick hybrid order is very much worth it.

For what it is not, overpriced, higher end interior finishes, or a significant investment in a gasoline powered engine that may lose value if all manufacturers make some sort of change to other power sources in the next 5-10 years, my Maverick hybrid order is very much worth it.

In short, my order lets me ride the fence without getting too many splinters because of the low price point and knowing I will get many years of usefulness out of the vehicle before having to replace it.

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
I don't really disagree with any of that but it's also basically the same thing the other poster said that you were replying to/taking exception with.

As for that Honda, those are nice lil cars, I've almost went with one the last few times I've bought an Escape. For what's it worth, as annoying as thin metals are, I'll take them over the piss poor metal prep/paint job that me and many other 2017 Escape owners got with our Kentucky built Escapes. Ford's paint certainly isn't always tough, it's definitely one of my largest Maverick-concerns.
40k miles, no accidents, well maintained:

IMG_8737crop.jpg
Paint has always been a sore spot for me and Fords. They really need to figure out what GM is doing and how to replicate that because the paint on the Silverado was some of the best paint I’ve ever had on a vehicle. Compare that to my wifes’s Bronco sport or my last mustang, where the paint just seems to rub off.

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's the right size, the right MPG's (Hybrid) and the right price for a commuter which is how I intend to use it (but can throw a Home Depot run in if needed). Fancy it up or keep it cheap; who cares?!?

I'll keep my perfect sized "7/8" 1st gen Tundra (6'+ bed) for truck duties.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Paint has always been a sore spot for me and Fords. They really need to figure out what GM is doing and how to replicate that because the paint on the Silverado was some of the best paint I’ve ever had on a vehicle. Compare that to my wifes’s Bronco sport or my last mustang, where the paint just seems to rub off.
100% agree. Aside from a couple rock chips and the odd scuff, the paint on my 2002 Vette still looks damn near showroom perfect. I don't like most GM vehicles but they do seem to know how to paint a car.

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
The materials used in the interior are definitely a step down from the F150 I sold.
Several of the exterior plastics have seams that don’t align perfectly. Close, but not 100%.
Sounds just like my last commuter car, which, like the Maverick, started at $19,999.9999 or something close to it.

In fact, I bought the $20k version. Manual A/C, manual seat, manual transmission.

The plastics on the interior weren't perfectly aligned...for example the A-pillar trim on the driver side was about 1/4" higher than the trim on the passenger side. But eh, for the price that I paid, it got the job done.

Like WOW, this thing has CUPHOLDERS? lol.
Never mind the cup holders; I'm just happy to have a vehicle that runs and drives, A/C and heat that works, and music that plays from all four speakers consistently!

Up until the last couple of years, I never had what most would consider a "reliable" vehicle. I've had just about every type of breakdown imaginable.

I think I have PTSD from all of that. My current truck is the newest and fanciest and most reliable that I've ever owned, and yet I still carry an entire tool set and spare parts. Haven't needed anything in 40,000+ miles.

No offense but for about 36k I could spec out a base, 4 dr, 4wd Ranger. I'd do that.
Not everyone wants a base, 4dr, 4WD Ranger. Given about the same price, some prefer a smaller vehicle with a few more luxuries than a base model with few to no luxuries.

By that logic, we should all drive base model F-350's, maintenance, fuel costs, and parking be damned. Because for those of us that want a few luxuries, a mid-range 4WD Ranger costs more than a base F-150. And a mid-range F-150 costs more than a base F-350.

A Ranger wouldn't even fit in my garage or driveway, and parking it where I typically frequent would present some unique, new challenges. Some of us live in cities with parallel parking, alleys, apartment complexes and rowhouses. Then there's the ride quality, the fuel efficiency, and options you can get at the price point that make all the difference.
Not to mention I think the Maverick's cab is more comfortable. And even though the bed is shorter, I see it being more useful. It was designed with hauling sheet goods in mind, so they can be easily loaded and secured without having to fumble with 2x4s going across the bed. Not to mention the 10+ tie downs. My F-250's 8' bed had a whopping four tie downs.

The Ranger can tow more and has better off-road capability. But if you never use those features then they aren't of any added value to you.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I picked up my truck last night and while I only have roughly 80 miles on it... its aligning to what I was expecting.

My primary vehicle is a 2009 Honda Fit, which was a $16K car 12 years ago. It's a sea of plastic on the interior. Although they did a good job with keeping it simple to look good, it never really felt solid. The Maverick is also a sea plastic, it feels much more substantial. There is a solidness to it that I would compare to my wife's 2019 Honda Odyssey.
The level of respect I have for Fits is incredible. I bought my 2011 used in 2015 and there's been $0 of unscheduled maintenance. And the versatility is mindblowing. I feel like the mav is a spiritual successor. They are both designed around ultimate utility. I just hope it's as reliable. The increased comfort will be nice too now that I'm a bit older.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, to me, my Maverick represents an excellent value.

That said, as I get to know my trucklette more I see where Ford needed ensure they kept the reasonable price point.

The materials used in the interior are definitely a step down from the F150 I sold. And that’s ok, this isn’t a complaint, it’s a message to you as you get your Maverick delivered in the interest of being real. I’ve zero regrets and yes, it is worth the wait. For $30,650 I feel like I got one hell of a deal.

I open the doors from the inside gingerly being afraid I might rip them out. They feel very light. Every knob feels light and lacking substance.

Several of the exterior plastics have seams that don’t align perfectly. Close, but not 100%.

I hope you enjoy your Mavericks as they’re delivered to you!
Absolutely. Great Value.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
I would say yes,

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hope to join in on the owners viewpoint perspective regarding this discussion... but I need a truck to do that. Hopefully Santa 🎅 will be my Maverick delivery driver. Now I didn’t say what year, but I am feeling good about heading back to a small pickup once again. 😎

Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't really disagree with any of that but it's also basically the same thing the other poster said that you were replying to/taking exception with.

As for that Honda, those are nice lil cars, I've almost went with one the last few times I've bought an Escape. For what's it worth, as annoying as thin metals are, I'll take them over the piss poor metal prep/paint job that me and many other 2017 Escape owners got with our Kentucky built Escapes. Ford's paint certainly isn't always tough, it's definitely one of my largest Maverick-concerns.
40k miles, no accidents, well maintained:

IMG_8737crop.jpg
I guess it all depends. I've had 2 Escapes, and neither one had a paint problem.

ThrowbacK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
👍👍👍

Offense taken. That Ranger has a bouncy ride, gets much worse MPG, and is the size an F150 used to be.

You do you. Some of us want the Mav and want the extras that come with it. This isn’t about go big or go home.

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Never have been excited about a new vehicle since the late 60's and early 70's muscle cars. Looking back, I should have never sold my 69 Chevelle or 69 SWB truck. Now retired, I want a dependable and economical vehicle. I have a 04 Ranger XLT 4x4 which has been a great truck which just turned 130K. I believe this Mav could last me the rest of my life.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I guess it all depends. I've had 2 Escapes, and neither one had a paint problem.
Well, yeah. I'd imagine the vast majority of Escape owners would say the same. Including me, up to now. This is my 3rd Escape and it's the the first one I've owned with paint problems, the previous ones just had electrical gremlins. At least paint is a straightforward, one time fix!

The paint problems also seem to be pretty color specific. They were with the 2017 Escapes (only blue and white were affected) and same with all the Maverick paint problems I've seen, they seem to primarily only be a handful of colors, too. Of course, Cactus Grey, which I've ordered, seems to be the primary offender. 🤷‍♂️

No skin off my rear though, I only plan to own the Mav (fingers crossed) for 3 years, so all of these issues would be covered under the base warranty anyway.:cool:

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, to me, my Maverick represents an excellent value.

That said, as I get to know my trucklette more I see where Ford needed ensure they kept the reasonable price point.

The materials used in the interior are definitely a step down from the F150 I sold. And that’s ok, this isn’t a complaint, it’s a message to you as you get your Maverick delivered in the interest of being real. I’ve zero regrets and yes, it is worth the wait. For $30,650 I feel like I got one hell of a deal.

I open the doors from the inside gingerly being afraid I might rip them out. They feel very light. Every knob feels light and lacking substance.

I hope you enjoy your Mavericks as they’re delivered to you!
True. Keep in mind you $30,000 truck is really a $21,000 truck in the areas of plastics and some materials.

Still better material quality than the 2003 Ram I used to have. (though the maverick would never compare to modern full-size trucks due to prices)
Sponsored