Sponsored

Is it possible that my Lariat Hybrid has a 16.5 gallon gas tank?

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The capacities are different because the hybrid fuel tanks are pressurized. You can overfill them but it is not a smart thing to do.

Explains how the system works.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was wanting to see if I could get to 600 miles on a tank, was at 586 and showed 28 miles to empty. Pumped clicked off at 13.5, and that’s where I stopped (gotta remember to make sure to try putting gas in slower next time). Truck showed 39.4 mpg but my math comes up with 42+????

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was wanting to see if I could get to 600 miles on a tank, was at 586 and showed 28 miles to empty. Pumped clicked off at 13.5, and that’s where I stopped (gotta remember to make sure to try putting gas in slower next time). Truck showed 39.4 mpg but my math comes up with 42+????
The cluster is not always accurate. You can change how it estimates the MPG to match your hand calculated real world MPG numbers.

You have to start up the truck and get the cluster into engineering test mode. Use the search to find threads on the forum on how to do this.

Once you are in ETM you need to adjust the AFE (Average Fuel Economy) bias. It is set to 1000 by default. The formula you use is the following.

(Hand calculated MPG / Display MPG) * 1000 = new afe bias number.

example hand calculated MPG is 29 and the display is showing 31

(29/31)*1000 = 953 rounded down. That is the new afe bias number to use for the setting.

vice versa hand calculated MPG is 31 and the display is showing 29

(31/29)*1000 = 1069 rounded up. that is now your new afe bias number to use.

Last edited:

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love the threads like these. Lack of mechanical knowledge + uneducated speculation = Conspiracy theories rivaling an episode of The X Files. :ROFLMAO:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've filled up 8 times now and even at 20 miles to E, my Lariat Hybrid has never held more than 14.6.
Yes. Exactly.

That's what people are saying.
13.8 is not a physical tank size.
13.8 is an average refill size under average conditions.

Then I also showed 13.8 is what the computer uses as its standard value for MTE computations. That's it.

It is not impossible or unusual to pump more.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The cluster is not always accurate. You can change how it estimates the MPG to match your hand calculated real world MPG numbers.

You have to start up the truck and get the cluster into engineering test mode. Use the search to find threads on the forum on how to do this.

Once you are in ETM you need to adjust the AFE (Average Fuel Economy) bias. It is set to 1000 by default. The formula you use is the following.

(Hand calculated MPG / Display MPG) * 1000 = new afe bias number.

example hand calculated MPG is 29 and the display is showing 31

(29/31)*1000 = 953 rounded down. That is the new afe bias number to use for the setting.

vice versa hand calculated MPG is 31 and the display is showing 29

(31/29)*1000 = 1069 rounded up. that is now your new afe bias number to use.
Has anyone confirmed this works and holds long-term?

Usually things in those menus are read only, or work for the one drive and reset with the next key cycle. Have you confirmed the change writes to long term memory or whatever?

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone confirmed this works and holds long-term?

Usually things in those menus are read only, or work for the one drive and reset with the next key cycle. Have you confirmed the change writes to long term memory or whatever?
The values hold long term and yes it works and is accurate as long your driving habits and routes are consistent. If not then you need to average multiple real world fillups covering representative conditions and use that as your hand calculated MPG.

Gvmumbral

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I filled up 14.060 galons today with 26 miles to Empty on my Hybrid. Drove 496.7 miles.
Ford Maverick Is it possible that my Lariat Hybrid has a 16.5 gallon gas tank? 20221118_164609

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

:cry: Over the price you had to pay for the fill up. My 35 gallons on Wednesday for $89 and change (with $1 off gallon Kroger fuel points)

Wnbasac

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V & firebird T/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I filled my tank 3 times and each were over 14 gals

Ford Maverick Is it possible that my Lariat Hybrid has a 16.5 gallon gas tank? 49D420E8-7ADB-4C97-B4B2-77A94F6E50A4

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I filled my tank 3 times and each were over 14 gals

49D420E8-7ADB-4C97-B4B2-77A94F6E50A4.jpeg
I browsed a bunch of records at Fuelly. Nice resource. That's how I concluded "about" 90% of hybrid owners have pumped more than 13.8 gallons.

Kinda strong evidence that pumps are not mis-calibrated and people are not "topping off" wouldn't ya say?

I'm going to assume you did nothing special, nothing unusual to get 14.75 gallons to go in. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for posting.
👍🏻

2022 pushed behind 2023's

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, since this thread has went wild...
Long long ago, in a Cadillac Far away, they build a accurate fuel gauge on a Vehicle.
Low and behold right after filling up the readout would start to fall.
A rebellion ensued and the Sales of this accurately reading Cadillac took a severe nosedive.
Never again did another manufacturer even remotely build a car that would tell you how much gas was in your tank.

I know of this because I grew up in a shop and when this happened articles were written about it.... Despite it being a decent MPG car for the time people felt it "drank gas" cause the of the immediate reading going down on the read out (I'm almost 100% it was digital). Before and after that manufacturers made them slow at the start (to go down) then faster in the middle, then real slow at the end.

Where are they at today? I have no idea. I drove Diesels for most of the last 15 years and regardless I rarely let my needle go below 1/4 tank. Heck, I barely noticed the price of gas the last 15 years (also had a Leaf which is electric)

I'm also impressed I know something Google doesn't bring right up... :) Getting old finally has shown 1 perk!
Edit: I think this might have been the one, in this article they note how the digital instruments were not liked but don't go into the gas gauge. It was probably the "trip computer" part that triggered it. Cadillacs were the "cream" back then so the perception that they drunk gas back then (remember OPEC crisis) was key.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elect...Seville with available Cadillac Trip Computer.

Last edited:

Wnbasac

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V & firebird T/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I browsed a bunch of records at Fuelly. Nice resource. That's how I concluded "about" 90% of hybrid owners have pumped more than 13.8 gallons.

Kinda strong evidence that pumps are not mis-calibrated and people are not "topping off" wouldn't ya say?

I'm going to assume you did nothing special, nothing unusual to get 14.75 gallons to go in. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for posting.
👍🏻
Yes, you’re correct I fill up till Auto-shutoff clicks. I also fill my tank when the low fuel light comes on

Stitchy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is it possible that my Lariat Hybrid has a 16.5 gallon gas tank? I was at a station for my first fill-up after almost 560 miles (computer stated @ 38.9 mpg ) when I stopped the pump after pumping 16.1 gallons. I wasn't quite on empty when I stopped for gas. I went inside and complained to the cashier that I only had a 13.8 gallon tank. He stated for me to call the Department of Agriculture 800# on the sticker at the pump. I did, but it was a holiday last Friday and got a recording and I forgot to call today - but will call tomorrow.

But what if....I don't want to seem like an idiot.
Yes definitely possible

OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Hybrid Lariat,No Deletes,10/5/21 order 11/5/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, last night I noticed that Forscan shows 16.x (I forgot what the decimal was) gal. tank - interesting.
Sponsored