Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Fiesta Sedan SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Initial thoughts after first day! 20221216_190520

Meet Napolean. We got acquainted for most of the day while putting nearly 100 miles on the odometer.

I picked it up around Noon at Community Ford Bloomington IN. As I pulled into the lot, I could see my baby, and immediately had two thoughts. 1. I love the color much more in person, and 2. Is my fat ass going to fit in this roller skate?

I am 6'4" and 290 lbs. I currently drive a Dodge Caliber that I feel cramped in, and I was genuinely worried that the truck would be uncomfortable. I have never been happier to be that wrong. The cabin space was comfortable and frankly roomy in comparison to other small trucks. Usually I feel like I'm riding shoulder to shoulder with passengers, but I had plenty of room side to side, and the amount of flexibility offered by the telescoping steering wheel and seat made it to where I could ride comfortably but still have room behind me. I was very impressed.

Once I had paperwork in hand, I turned up SRV's rendition of Voodoo Child, and pulled out onto the highway. It was here I was expecting deafening road noise and shitty audio as described by some here.

Not the case. The audio was great for a vehicle in general, not just a cheap one, and the road noise was minimal. Mind you the audio is not award winning quality, and road noise is present, but if you are like me and have driven nothing but used vehicles with over 100,000 miles on them, this thing is rock solid and feels like a frickin Cadi.

The only thing I found that I could possibly complain about, is the lights. Everything is so bright, I can see three decades into the future. Even the lowbeams were so bright the reflection off speed limit signs was blinding. I was flashed a lot going down the road (not in a good way, either.) The interior dome lights, and the back lights are bright enough to be seen from space. As dumb as this may sound, is there any way to possibly dim everything?

Other than that one, relatively small nitpick, I am absolutely in love. Me and Napolean are going to get along just fine!

Ford Maverick Initial thoughts after first day! 20221216_190529

P.S. I made sure to haul SOMETHING, to justify needing a truck...😂
Ford Maverick Initial thoughts after first day! 20221216_190549
Sponsored

Last edited:

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Congratulations!

OP
OP
macdaddy95

macdaddy95

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Fiesta Sedan SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reactions: Aza

HD676

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley, 2007 Shelby GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congrats and Happy Mavericking!!

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
20221216_190520.jpg

Meet Napolean. We got acquainted for most of the day while putting nearly 100 miles on the odometer.

I picked it up around Noon at Community Ford Bloomington IN. As I pulled into the lot, I could see my baby, and immediately had two thoughts. 1. I love the color much more in person, and 2. Is my fat ass going to fit in this roller skate?

I am 6'4" and 290 lbs. I currently drive a Dodge Caliber that I feel cramped in, and I was genuinely worried that the truck would be uncomfortable. I have never been happier to be that wrong. The cabin space was comfortable and frankly roomy in comparison to other small trucks. Usually I feel like I'm riding shoulder to shoulder with passengers, but I had plenty of room side to side, and the amount of flexibility offered by the telescoping steering wheel and seat made it to where I could ride comfortably but still have room behind me. I was very impressed.

Once I had paperwork in hand, I turned up SRV's rendition of Voodoo Child, and pulled out onto the highway. It was here I was expecting deafening road noise and shitty audio as described by some here.

Not the case. The audio was great for a vehicle in general, not just a cheap one, and the road noise was minimal. Mind you the audio is not award winning quality, and road noise is present, but if you are like me and have driven nothing but used vehicles with over 100,000 miles on them, this thing is rock solid and feels like a frickin Cadi.

The only thing I found that I could possibly complain about, is the lights. Everything is so bright, I can see three decades into the future. Even the lowbeams were so bright the reflection off speed limit signs was blinding. I was flashed a lot going down the road (not in a good way, either.) The interior dome lights, and the back lights are bright enough to be seen from space. As dumb as this may sound, is there any way to possibly dim everything?

Other than that one, relatively small nitpick, I am absolutely in love. Me and Napolean are going to get along just fine!

20221216_190529.jpg

P.S. I made sure to haul SOMETHING, to justify needing a truck...😂
20221216_190549.jpg
LOL! That dome light pic looks like everyone was just "transported to the mothership" ;)

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It won't take long to get used to being able to see where you are driving. I had to drive a couple hours last night in some snow blowing over the road & these headlights are the best.

Showtel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congrats! Nothing like that first day or two. Glad to see you tested the hauling capacity :D

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting comments regarding the headlights......I find them to be one of the more disappointing aspects of the truck. A decent field of light, but I find them lacking in reach. The auto high beam does work well, much better sensitivity than my Pilot.

OP, congrat's on your Mav, they are well packaged given the footprint.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you with my Area 51 First Edition (Lariat). Like you, I'm a "bigger" guy (though not as tall) and find the Maverick cab quite comfortable! I drove an 800-mile trip and it remained comfortable, so not just a "feels good at first, but..." type of comfort. The real deal! I'm real happy with it!

As for the headlights – I drove a Prius for the past 6 years. I could barely see anything at night without the high beams on. The Maverick headlights are amazing to me... Lots of light, and spread pretty evenly. I have NOT experienced anyone flashing their brights at me, so maybe it was that huge load you were carrying in the bed, causing the rear springs to sag. (just kidding) But your lights just might be mis-adjusted. The manual shows how to check them, and I would do that before taking it to the dealer and waiting for a day or two (or three...) for them to get it done.

Like you, I was surprised by how relatively quiet the cab it while driving. Yeah, there is some road noise, but it's easy to carry on a conversation in normal tones, and to hear the stereo. I'm glad to hear someone else who doesn't think the stereo sucks. Mine (Lariat) has the B&O "upgrade" system, and I'm pretty happy with it. (Then again, I've been driving a 12-year-old Prius...)

PS - I lived in Bloomington when I was a kid. We were about a mile from IU, within easy walking distance of what used to be University High School. Nice place to grow up!

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As for the headlights – I drove a Prius for the past 6 years. I could barely see anything at night without the high beams on. The Maverick headlights are amazing to me... Lots of light, and spread pretty evenly. I have NOT experienced anyone flashing their brights at me, so maybe it was that huge load you were carrying in the bed, causing the rear springs to sag. (just kidding) But your lights just might be mis-adjusted. The manual shows how to check them, and I would do that before taking it to the dealer and waiting for a day or two (or three...) for them to get it done.
For sure headlights are all about reference. The Mav probably does seem spectacular coming from an old worn out Prius!

My current reference points are an '18 F150, '19 RDX, and a '21 Pilot, all of which have better headlight performance than the Mav. The RDX is particularly impressive, with the seven lens LED projectors....probably the best OEM headlights I've experienced.

Really, the Mav is good in all aspects EXCEPT reach, IMO. Of course, factoring in that pricepoint, it's hard to complain at all.

OP
OP
macdaddy95

macdaddy95

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Fiesta Sedan SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
macdaddy95

macdaddy95

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Fiesta Sedan SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you with my Area 51 First Edition (Lariat). Like you, I'm a "bigger" guy (though not as tall) and find the Maverick cab quite comfortable! I drove an 800-mile trip and it remained comfortable, so not just a "feels good at first, but..." type of comfort. The real deal! I'm real happy with it!

Like you, I was surprised by how relatively quiet the cab it while driving. Yeah, there is some road noise, but it's easy to carry on a conversation in normal tones, and to hear the stereo. I'm glad to hear someone else who doesn't think the stereo sucks. Mine (Lariat) has the B&O "upgrade" system, and I'm pretty happy with it. (Then again, I've been driving a 12-year-old Prius...)

PS - I lived in Bloomington when I was a kid. We were about a mile from IU, within easy walking distance of what used to be University High School. Nice place to grow up!
I went to college there, but I grew up in a little town about 40 minutes South of there. No matter where I go, I'm always heading back to this area of the world (Monroe, Greene, and Owen counties), even where most would say that the area sucks. Maybe I just haven't found the right area yet, but this is home for me lol.
Sponsored